NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope to be retired

Any idea as to what will replace the Spitzer infrared space telescope?
This paragraph from the above NASA press release answers your question.

In 2016, following a review of operating astrophysics missions, NASA made a decision to close out the Spitzer mission in 2018 in anticipation of the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope, which also will observe the universe in infrared light. When Webb's launch was postponed, Spitzer was granted an extension to continue operations until this year. This gave Spitzer additional time to continue producing transformative science, including insights that will pave the way for Webb, which is scheduled to launch in 2021.

Makes you wonder why they'd retire it if it's still working fine.

Makes you wonder why they'd retire it if it's still working fine.

"In 2016, following a review of operating astrophysics missions, NASA made a decision to close out the Spitzer mission in 2018 in anticipation of the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope, which also will observe the universe in infrared light. When Webb's launch was postponed, Spitzer was granted an extension to continue operations until this year. This gave Spitzer additional time to continue producing transformative science"

Looks like the reason was funding and/or personnel (people moving from Spitzer to Webb).

So budget? Bummer. While not as capable as the JWST I'm sure it would still be useful.

Especially as it seems like the JWST is likely to be delayed yet again...

So Spitzer was sacrificed to help fund the JWST. Madness. :mad:
...Errr... We have different definitions of insanity, I guess. Shutting something down to enable it's seriously more capable replacement to move closer to being launched does not seems to be madness to me.

It's not like NASA is going to put the money saved into novelty toilet seats after all, and the JWST really needs to get into space already.

So Spitzer was sacrificed to help fund the JWST. Madness. :mad:
...Errr... We have different definitions of insanity, I guess. Shutting something down to enable it's seriously more capable replacement to move closer to being launched does not seems to be madness to me.

It's not like NASA is going to put the money saved into novelty toilet seats after all, and the JWST really needs to get into space already.

Let's hope that the delay for the JWST is not that long. And that the science that we will get from JWST supersedes anything that Spitzer was capable of.