NASA/Langley SpaceJet Concept

Latest FOIA update: not two volumes but four, being passed along to the controlling facility for review and *hopeful* declassification and shipment.

Vol. 1: Executive Summary
Vol. 1: Reusable Aerodynamic Space Vehicle Systems Design & Analysis
Vol. 2: Vehicle design & Analysis
Vol. 3: Appendices

Why are there two Volume 1's? Dunno. What's the difference between Vol 1 and Vol 2? Dunno.
Latest FOIA update: there is no update.

The general concept was to have the main spaceplane avoid overly massive back landing gear (the nose wheel left alone I assume)--and the weight of jets--additional fuel---a more believable take on the Zero-X FAB concept.

Now, would the individual flying Spacejets carriages have any trouble landing--now unburdened by the weight of the the spaceplane bearing down upon it?

With now oversized "monster truck" wheels---might it have a tendency to "walk"?

The general concept was to have the main spaceplane avoid overly massive back landing gear (the nose wheel left alone I assume)--and the weight of jets--additional fuel---a more believable take on the Zero-X FAB concept.

Now, would the individual flying Spacejets carriages have any trouble landing--now unburdened by the weight of the the spaceplane bearing down upon it?

With now oversized "monster truck" wheels---might it have a tendency to "walk"?

IIRC in most design work the "main gear" didn't have that much "play" usually. The gear would move only a couple of feet 'up' to close the doors and the trucks could be controlled individually so they probably would only 'lower' a few for unburdened landing.

Randy

IIRC in most design work the "main gear" didn't have that much "play" usually. The gear would move only a couple of feet 'up' to close the doors and the trucks could be controlled individually so they probably would only 'lower' a few for unburdened landing.

Randy
As I've posted the following on this august forum before, "The Earth is covered by two-thirds water and one-third space launch studies", former Secretary of the U.S. Air Force Sheila A. Widnall, December 1992. As the French are wont to quip, "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose..."

Last edited: