Myasishchev M-17, M-34 and M-55 projects (Geophysica, etc.)

flateric said:
Please resize M-17 drawings to 500 pixels at wide side. Put (c) Avico-Press and original source. These are from book by forum member Ucon - Konstantin Udalov. Respect copyright and note that practically all EMZ stuff elsewhere comes from Avico that got exclusive rights from EMZ for publishing stuff from their archives. Thank you.

Sorry I was away for a couple of days and didn't notice the warning. I'll be more careful next time, thanks.

Would anyone have the dimensions of the subject/article 34? It appears to have a shorter wingspan and longer fuselage length than the M-17?

Dear ucon, I have noticed that all the pics pertaining to the M-17/M-34/M-55 programs have simply disappeared from the last few pages. Is that intentional?

A lot of info and pics split from the old generic Myasishchev topic and merged here.

Thanks a lot to ucon for all the great material!

ucon said:
Dear Stargazer2006!
Of course it is understandable that M-34 high altitude aircraft is belong to MDB, not OKB-23.
By the way, the drawings you have posted are from "Illustrated Encyclopedia of MDB aircraft" vol.5 by Avico Press and I am one of the author of that book. Please don't forget to give a link. Thanks a lot.

More M-55 variants will follow.

Same as this? http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18511.0

I want a copy of the M-17/M-55 sections & the M-63/M-67 sections - I assume they are all covered in volume 5? Also - are there any plans for an English translation?

Avimimus said:
are there any plans for an English translation?

I wish! I discussed the subject with the publisher a couple of years ago but it seemed rather unlikely at the time.

It'd be nice if there were attempts to publish translations of sections on specific topics (e.g. turn a chapter into a booklet). It might be a lower risk way to see if translation is economically viable.

borovik said:
Else several early iterations M-17 (55) (on classical scheme)+canard)
1-2) variants with two engines D-30 by P.SOLOVIEV
3-7) variants with one engine P.KOLESOV RD-36-51А
from:A.Brook, K.Udalov, S.Smirnov "Illustrated encyclopedia planes V.Myasishchev's" Vol.3. Chapt.1

Very interesting how the 1st & 2nd designs look uncannily like that of the Bell MX-2147 (X-16)& Fairchild MX-2147 respectively!

Regards
Pioneer

M-55 carrying a recon pod developed for the Su-34:

Attachments

• 324220.jpg
    324220.jpg
    1,008.9 KB · Views: 106
M-55 always struck me as a prettier airplane than the U-2.

That M-17 with the V-tail may have had some interesting handling qualities, based on the Beechcraft Bonanza issues.

Clever idea and the pod supposedly gives under a 1 meter squared resolution mapping out to 300 klicks. This war, like all wars, is won or lost in constant and accurate intel.

Edit: should mention that resolution deminishes with distance...

Last edited:

Attachments

• M-55missile_CRW_0020.jpg
    M-55missile_CRW_0020.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 58