Yes dear Chuck,

and there was also Ahrens AR-402 STOL transport aircraft
project with only two engines.

Found a drawing.

Attachments

• Ahrens AR-402-.jpg
    Ahrens AR-402-.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 362
There were a number of variations in the CL-21 design evolution.

"Canadair Ltd. have prepared a specification for a medium-range airliner (very similar to the Fokker F.27) which is available in several forms under the style Canadair CL-21."

Flight, 6 March 1953, page 286 http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1953/1953 - 0288.html

Skyblazer's post on the CL-21 (this June 9, 1952 Aviation Week article also showing up on eBay) reads: "Preliminary design studies fixed the fuselage at 67 1/2 ft., wing span at 90 ft. and wing area at 900 sq. ft." http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21740.0

That closely matches the measurements quoted by Der Fleiger.

Thank you my dear Apophenia,

and I don't remember the topic of Skyblazer.

ChuckAnderson said:
Hi hesham!

Had we included the Ahrens AR-404 yet? Only two were ever built, and it was thought that it might replace the C-2 Greyhound in the Carrier On-Board Delivery role.

My dear Chuck,

here is the SACAB KM-180 which was known before as Ahrens AR-404.

Attachments

• SACAB KM-180.png
    SACAB KM-180.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 289
hesham said:
here is the SACAB KM-180 which was known before as Ahrens AR-404.

What country? What year? These Air International items always had an accompanying text, so if we can at least have the date and country, that will help put the image in the right folder...

Scandinavian Aircraft Construction AB (SACAB) swedish firm located in Malmö. President: Peter Ahrens!!! The firm was formed 1984, the project 1985/86.

Servus Maveric

Jemiba said:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,872.msg9869.html#msg9869
Maiden flight in 1976 in California/USA, production was planned for Puerto Rico and the
second prototype actually built there, but thhat was it ...

Thanks Jemiba, but I wasn't talking about the Ahrens 404!!

Maveric said:
Scandinavian Aircraft Construction AB (SACAB) swedish firm located in Malmö. President: Peter Ahrens!!! The firm was formed 1984, the project 1985/86.

Thanks a lot Maveric! So Ahrens started his project in the USA and then relocated in Sweden? Interesting.

Hi following the comments on the KM-180, can I add my tuppence worth. The Ahrens AR-404 project had stalled, as far as the Puerto Rico connection was concerned. However given the interest of European commuter airlines to aircraft of the 40-50 seat category, it was felt that a development may appeal to airlines. As a result of this, Ahrens teamed up with SACAB and produced the design of the KM-180, which although similar to the AR-404, had a few improvements. However with the collapse of SACAB in 1988, this sounded the death knell for the project.

VictorXL188 said:
Hi following the comments on the KM-180, can I add my tuppence worth. The Ahrens AR-404 project had stalled, as far as the Puerto Rico connection was concerned. However given the interest of European commuter airlines to aircraft of the 40-50 seat category, it was felt that a development may appeal to airlines. As a result of this, Ahrens teamed up with SACAB and produced the design of the KM-180, which although similar to the AR-404, had a few improvements. However with the collapse of SACAB in 1988, this sounded the death knell for the project.

Thanks a lot for your precious input, VictorXL188.

hesham said:
from Indonesia,

Lapan XT-400 :twin engined light STOL transport aircraft,
FF 1980.

Thank you Victor,

and here is the Indonesian Project,LAPAN XT-400.

Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1980-1981

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 517
  • 2.png
    2.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 3.png
    3.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 455
hesham said:
boxkite said:
IAI C-5WA Airtruck
IAI submission chosen in principle by Federal Express of USA against competition from Saab (Sweden) and Ayres (USA) in mid-1998 as replacement for Fokker Friendship parcel transports.

SOURCE: JAWA 2001-2002

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1999/1999%20-%202326.html

I'm not sure what happened to the FedEx requirement that lead to this IAI Airtruck concept, or if there were public details on the competitors.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/iai-closes-on-partners-for-fedex-airtruck-project-36202/

FedEx has a requirement for a new twin-engined turboprop to replace its fleet of 36 Fokker F27 freighters and has been in talks with IAI, Saab Aircraft and Ayres about its development .

The cargo carrier has issued a baseline specification that the aircraft should be able to carry five standard-size cargo containers over 1,800km (1,000nm) at 300kt (450km/h). The aircraft must have a unit price of less than $10 million, and FedEx could buy 100 aircraft and possibly further options.

I always assumed the smaller Ayers Loadmaster was meant for a separate FedEx requirement to replace the Cessna 208 Caravan. I'm not sure when or why FedEx dropped the requirement, although the timing seems to be close to the "Dotcom Bubble," which burst in March 2000.

hesham said:
Hi,

Unfortunately from few days,the book on google offered the Air Metal
AM-Z102T aircraft drawing which I spoke about it before in this topic,also
the book mention the Air Metal AM-B 111 variant with drawing,that is no
longer offer,but the book on google still offer the Universal Mini Carrier
UMC-120 STOL transport aircraft.

And here is the Air Metal AM-Z102 and AM-B 111 projects from
the same source;

From L+K 17/1970,

I displayed before a drawing to AM-Z102T and here is a drawing AM-Z202T Project.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 3.png
    3.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
LAPAN XT-400 looks like a BN Islander with a new aft fuselage incorporating a cargo ramp.
What is the weight penalty of a cargo ramp?
..... a cargo hatch?

Just found in RAF Flying Review 3/1962 : The Ryan BLC.7 , mainly intended
as a STOL executive aircraft, but also proposed for military use.
It would have been powered by two Allison T63 turboprops and have used
boundary layer control.

From Ailes 6/10/1961.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 2.png
    2.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 157
Indeed !

"BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA, June 18, 2008 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] subsidiary Boeing Australia Limited has sold certification authority for the twin turboprop Nomad aircraft to Australia-based general aviation manufacturer Gippsland Aeronautics.

The sale includes technical and spares sales support and all intellectual property for the Nomad aircraft worldwide. Financial terms are not being disclosed.

"The Nomad has a bright future," said David Withers, president of Boeing Australia Limited. "We're delighted with Gippsland's plan to continue providing outstanding support to existing customers while greatly expanding the market for this remarkably versatile, Australian-designed aircraft."

from http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2008/q2/080618a_nr.html

The Gippsland GA-18;

Attachments

• GA-18.gif
    GA-18.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 191
hesham said:
from Indonesia,

Lapan XT-400 :twin engined light STOL transport aircraft,
FF 1980.

Thank you Victor,

and here is the Indonesian Project,LAPAN XT-400.

Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1980-1981
For more details about XT-400 project, please visit my blog (you can translate via google translate btw): https://aviahistoria.com/2017/08/24/lapan-xt-400-kakak-tiri-n219-yang-terlupakan/ and also https://aviahistoria.com/2017/08/27/versi-dan-pengembangan-lapan-xt-400/

Great Info,

and XT-800 is also new for me.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    397.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 2.png
    2.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 141
Dear GTX,
If you design two different airplanes - for the same mission - they end up with similar external loft lines.

For example, Cessna's latest Skycourier prototype looks an awful lot like a DHC-6 Twin Otter, albeit with a fatter fuselage. That fatter fuselage has external loft lines more like a Dornier 228, except for the Twin Otter-sized cockpit. If you have ever sat in the cramped cockpit of a Dornier 228, you will understand why Cessna did not copy it. The fatter fuselage can hold three LD-3 baggage containers loaded through a side door. Skycourier main landing gear and wing struts look a bit more like Skyvan's.
Skycourier also copies Twin Otter's high-mounted horizontal tail to seriously challenge clumsy truck drivers bent on bending the tail.

The second Skycourier prototype flew 2020 August 11.

Last edited:
I couldn't find any mentions of the Harbin Y-12 (except Deino's in reply #43) so I'm putting this here. I found an image of a Harbin Y-12 floatplane windtunnel model on the TLG Aerospace website - https://www.tlgaerospace.com/experience/overview/

Back in 2015, Seattle's Kenmore Air announced that their EDO Floats subsidiary were developing floats for the Harbin Y-12. (I'm not sure if TLG Aerospace was involved in the engineering or just for FAA certification.) The EDO floats for the Y-12 were to be constructed from carbon fibre material. In a US$50 million 2016 contract, AVIC ordered 100 sets of these floats, with modified Y-12s scheduled to be flying by 2017. That didn't happen.

EDO Floats designed the Y-12 float installation (and, obviously, arranged wind tunnel testing) but none of these carbon fibre floats were actually built. AVIC cancelled the order after the crash of a Joy Air Caravan in July 2016. [1] Apparently, Kenmore was paid in full but wholesale changes in Joy Air's top management had turned floatplane operation into political poison.

The Kenmore website doesn't mention the Y-12 and there are no site search returns for "carbon" or "composite". Does anyone know what happened to EDO's carbon fibre floats? (I'm a little surprised that they haven't pursued these composite floats for other designs - actually, the Y-12 floats look about right for the DHC-3T Turbine Otter).

[1] As the full name - Zhoushan AVIC Joy Air General Air Co., Ltd. - suggests, Joy Air is a Chinese state-owned enterprise. In the aftermath of that Caravan crash, AVIC also cut back on orders for Wipline 8750 amphibious floats for Joy Air's Grand Caravan EX fleet.

Attachments

• harbin-y-12-tlg-aerospace.jpg
    harbin-y-12-tlg-aerospace.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 142
A New Zealand consortium just announced two new STOL, single-engined, attack tankers For fighting forest fires.

PAC F-25 is a PAC 750XL agricultural airplane upgraded with a belly tank big enough to carry 2500 kg of water or fire-retardant. Pacific Aircraft Corporation developed their PAC 750 from earlier Fletcher and Cresco crop-dusters. PAC has sold dozens of PAC 750s to crop-dusters and skydivers around the world.

The F-45 is a clean sheet design, high-winged SEAT that looks like a Cessna Caravan with a fatter fuselage. The fuselage is large enough to carry a trio of LD3 baggage containers or 19 passengers with stand-up room. Flight Structures has built the first F-45 fuselage and it is waiting for wings and tail feathers made by Pacific Aircraft Corporation. Arcus Fire is a leasing operation specializing in fire-fighting airplanes.

A New Zealand consortium just announced two new STOL, single-engined, attack tankers For fighting forest fires.

The F-45 is a clean sheet design, high-winged SEAT that looks like a Cessna Caravan with a fatter fuselage. The fuselage is large enough to carry a trio of LD3 baggage containers or 19 passengers with stand-up room. Flight Structures has built the first F-45 fuselage and it is waiting for wings and tail feathers made by Pacific Aircraft Corporation. Arcus Fire is a leasing operation specializing in fire-fighting airplanes.

Is there any drawing ?.

firecatcher.aero and heliopsmag.com both have photos and artists' concepts of Firecatcher airplanes - but I am not bright enough to link them to this website.
Help!
Help!
Please, will someone else link those two websites to here?

I've found an article about the Ahrens project

I've found an article about the Ahrens project

Great find. That website also has lots of interesting articles about other aspects of aviation history that are well worth reading.

There is a new STOL transport project in development, the Brazilian-Portugese ATL-100. It will be the only new 19 seater under development to feature a rear cargo ramp, which could give it a competitive edge.

Attachments

• ATL-100-carga.jpg
    ATL-100-carga.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Interesting how all the different aircraft start to look the same - I guess the same problem often ends up with the same solution. Another to add to the list (and this one made it into service) was the GAF N-22/N-24 Nomad:

Accommodation : 1-2 crew + 12-13 passengers Dimensions Span : 16.52m (54'1ft) Length : 12.56m (41'3ft) Height : 5.52m (18'2ft) Weight empty : 2,150kg (4,741lb) max : 3,855kg (8,500lb) Power Plant : 2x 400shp Allison 250-B17B turboprops Performance : max speed : 311km/h (193mph) max climb : 1,460ft/min (742m/sec) ceiling : 21,000ft (6,400m) range : 1,074km (668miles)

It was operated in both civilian and military roles by a couple of countries.

JSJ_GAF_N_22B_Nomad_Army_2.jpg

JSJ_GAF_N_22S_Nomad_Searchmaster_2.jpg

JSJ_GAF_N_22F_Floatplane_2.jpg

nomad_3v.jpg

Regards,

Greg

From Aviation Magazine 1971.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    751.4 KB · Views: 52

Attachments