Mosquito with a 32-Pounder

Could it be that the Mosquito was intended to test the affects of firing a large caliber gun on an aircraft in an effort to aid the development of the 114mm gun?

The 32-pounder was 3.7" bore, being derived from the 3.7" AA gun.
I'm not entirely certain about that. I suspect that the gun was the 32 pdr anti-tank gun which was fitted to the massive Tortoise AFV. This also had a 3.7 inch calibre but fired different ammunition from the AA gun.
True that it fired different ammunition, but the 32-pdr AT was derived from the 3.7", no? Or they changed it so much it essentially became a different design?

Ian Hogg in "Allied Artillery of World War II" describes the 32pdr thus

1619017094803.png

The requirement disappeared in Sept 1945 but limited trials with it continued into 1946.

From memory, the 32 pdr was intended to fire proximity-fuzed HE shells at bombers.
I believe you're confusing the 32 pdr AT with the Fort Halstead 4.5" recoilless proposed for F.43/46 and various other early post-war jet fighters.
No, I know about that one. The 32pdr could fire the HE shells of the 3.7 inch, complete with proximity fuzing, which is designed for the AA role and provided a significant improvement in effectiveness - so why not use it?

"Some modifications to the chamber" meant changing it from firing ammunition with a case length of 675mm and rim diameter of 135mm, to a case length of 909mm with a rim diameter of 141mm - not exactly a minor change!