Mitsubishi Ki-83 and it's variant 

I think a few Ki-83 planned to have a second crewman for Squadron leaders or observer for long range strategic reconnaissance.
Please give me some more time to verify this.

Attachments

• ki-83.jpg
    ki-83.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 267
Domo Blackkite. I appreciate your efforts in this and other discussions to find information not easily available to us who do not read Japanese.

Hi!
”The pilot had a 360-degree view, and the radio operator/navigator was positioned in the aircraft’s fuselage behind the wings. The second crew member had very cramped accommodations with small windows. However, the second crew member was not intended to be on every mission.”

”Fresh air would enter the turbocharger near the rear of the nacelle on the outboard side, be compressed, and then flow to the engine through an air box in the upper nacelle. The engine’s exhaust was expelled from the turbocharger on the inboard side of the nacelle, and a waste gate was positioned at the end of the nacelle. The exhaust arrangement provided some additional thrust.”
turbinr air intake.jpg ki-83 nacelle end.jpg intercooler.jpg ki-83-15.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot my dear hesham-san and Arjen-san!!:)
I'm interested in intercoler system of this aircraft. But very hard to understan for me, especiallly cooling air air intake and hot air exhaust system.
Ki-83's engine was a Mitsubishi Ha-43-11(MK9A) with forced cooling fan and turbocharger.
So I think there was a possibility that Ki-83's intercooler air intake was located behind the force cooling fan.
Raiden had engine ram ram air intake at same position, behind the forced cooling fan.
Ki-83's ram air intake was located engine nacelle.
And Ki-83's intercooler cooling air outlet was located engine nacelle inboard side combined with turbine exhaust outlet.
ha-43-11.jpg Raiden drawing2.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think the Ki-83, could have taken on the Focke Wulf given powerplants with about the same power curve and (quality) fuel?

Last edited:
It would depend on altitude but the Ki-84 would be a closer match performance wise. As per, pilot ability would be the clincher.

No worries mate, I could have thought about that a bit more tbh.