• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Michel Wibault's strange and wonderful VTOL and rotorcraft projects

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the post war Wibault designs ! A little bit off topic here, as not really an "early"
project, but as it was mentioned here, I won't start another thread:
(And in the meantime it's more than 50 years ago ...)

Michel Wibault, inventor of the "Flying saucer"! :D
Isn't it hard for the british, that one of their most succesful post war combat aircraft
was in fact designed by a french ??? ;)
Some years ago, I've tried to make a series of drawings of these vectored thrust designs,
most interesting for me were the pre-Harrier studies. As I had just principle drawings,
details, as undercarriage are just a form of reasonable guesses, in the case of the two
designs with a Bristol engine based on the later Hawker designs.
Anyone who has better material ?

Attachments

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
.. and the last two ones, already quite close to what Hawker called "fast helicopter" :

Attachments

elmayerle

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'd hardly say it was designed by the French; inspired by a French idea - most certainly, but so many of the developments and refinements that made it a functioning aircraft were based on Bristol and Hawker experience.

raravia

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Ok, no problem Jemiba

I would ask you why they call this aircraft Gyroptere? that name it´s sounds better for an helicopter or maybe an autogyro.

I like very much the illustration, it reminds me the way Hergé draw the aircrafts. He was a very famous comic writer who created Tintin & Milu, a great series of comic books traslated to already a 100 languages.

Saludos

Raravia

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm heavily interested in french aviation, but I really don't know, where they found
names as "Gyroptere", or in the case of the Labat designs "Aeroblic" ... ;D
The starting idea for the Wibault designs certainly was the "enclosed rotor",
simply spoken a packed up helicopter ! Perhaps this was the meaning of this name ?
Yes, "Tintin & Milu", or "Tim & Struppi" as they are called here ! I read those comics,
when I was a child and now I read them again, as my kids found them in the public
library and like them, too.
And because my illustration looks this way, I more or less quit making more, when I saw
the first 3-D drawings some years ago, made with CAD programs and concentrated again
on 3-views ... ::)

Archibald

Reaction score
As far as I know, Wibault idea was to use a turboprop with four "enclosed", tilted propellers. The Hawker company changed the turboprops/ propellers for a turbojet and four tilting exhausts... the Harrier was born...

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The shown, "UFO like" designs are in fact what they are called, an enclosed rotor,
or, perhaps better described as single stage compressors, using a four bladed , tip
driven fan, the tip jets just protruding from the ring slot at the underside. Flightcontrol
should be achieved by pumping ballast (fuel or water) between various tanks at the
perimeter ! So Wibaults later idea of using four compressors instead of a single one,
seems more realistic.

amsci99

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Although much has been written about the direct lift system of the Harrier, very little is devoted to its' originator and patent holder, Michel Wibault. Considering that the Pegasus was a magnet for IR heat seekers, I was wondering if 2 coupled turbofans driving 4 lift fans as proposed in the original Gyroptere would have been a better alternative. On another note, whilst much has been written about Dassault and other French aviation pioneers, there seem to be very little information about Wibault on the net.

hesham

Reaction score
amsci99,

Please see the magic from Jemiba about that subject;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,395.0.html

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
The Wibault Gyroptère and Wibault/Lewis VTOL projects, both from 1956.

Source: Osprey Air Combat: British Aerospace Harrier and Sea Harrier by Roy Braybook, Osprey 1984

Attachments

amsci99

Reaction score
Any idea if the magazine, "Le Trait d'Union' covered the Gyroptere or any other projects from this period by Michel Wibault?

alertken

Reaction score
184884042X Andrew Dow, Pegasus, the Heart of the Harrier has much on Wibault...inc. a hint as to why Winthrop Rockefeller financed him.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Another design by Michel Wibault for a VTOL aircraft, called "Aérobus".

(from Aviation Magazine September 1960)

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Topics merged. Any more pictures of Wibault-related helicopters, flying saucers, VTOL fighters or flying platforms are much welcome here!

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
A painting of the Wibault-Lewis VTOL aircraft originally posted by Jemiba on June 21, 2006 in a topic that has been split:

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
And from the file; Pegasus Vectored-thrust Turbofan Engine

Attachments

ouroboros

Reaction score
hesham said:
And from the file; Pegasus Vectored-thrust Turbofan Engine
That quad centrifugal blower design is wonderfully insane, but makes a sick sort of sense too.

steelpillow

So many projects, so little time...
Reaction score
Website
www.steelpillow.com
I have always wondered how much the Hawker Sea Hawk influenced the design of the Harrier and Pegasus. The problem of long ducting in a long fuselage was solved at the front by de Havilland who, having split the intake either side of the cockpit, cut it short at the wing root. Only Hawker dared try the same trick with the hot exhaust. Somewhat to everybody's surprise it worked well and the Sea Hawk was born. The Harrier is little more than a Sea Hawk with a bypass turbofan and thrust vectoring.

Has any other craft besides these two ever flown with a bifurcated (split) jet exhaust? And did Wibault live to collect his royalties?

Granit

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
steelpillow said:
Has any other craft besides these two ever flown with a bifurcated (split) jet exhaust?
Yak-38

cluttonfred

Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
That quad centrifugal blower design is wonderfully insane, but makes a sick sort of sense too.[/quote]

It does indeed, it's an elegantly simple solution since the blowers can be fixed in place and all you'd need is vectoring nozzles. Presumably you could get by with just three fans but the third would likely be an oddball fore or aft, the four fan solution should allow a degree of modularity. I've always wanted to build a homebuilt VTOL aircraft, hmmm..... ;)