Michel Wibault & the Bristol-Siddeley BS.53 vectored thrust turbofan engine.....

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an interesting article in French about the development of the Bristol-Siddeley BS.53 vectored thrust turbofan engine (later the Pegasus) from the principles of Michel Wibault; the article shows how the development of a high bypass ratio turbofan finally allowed the proper development of his ideas on vectored thrust......

The article comes from the 20th February 1960 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Michel Wibault & the Bristol-Siddeley BS.53 vectored-thrust turbofan engine - Les Ailes - No.jpg
    Michel Wibault & the Bristol-Siddeley BS.53 vectored-thrust turbofan engine - Les Ailes - No.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 246
  • Michel Wibault & the Bristol-Siddeley BS.53 vectored-thrust turbofan engine - Les Ailes - No.jpg
    Michel Wibault & the Bristol-Siddeley BS.53 vectored-thrust turbofan engine - Les Ailes - No.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 235
There was the BS100 "flying bedstead", would never be allowed now due to "elf and saftey lol" I work for RR and was involved from 1978 in the development of the paggasus (or Peggy as it was fondly known as). It went through a torturous development with many problems including tip rub and fan flutter etc. Was an awkward engine to work on especially on the test beds as it was mounted so high (to allow for the vectored thrust) and when you got on the engine everything was below you feet as it s fuel system was on top the engine not underneath like all other engines.

Was a very sad day when the UK goverment scrapped the Harrier, was a disgrace in my opinion but that decision came back and bite them as the aircraft would have been perfect for the recent Libya conflict.

I am now involved in the EFE project, see http://www.enviro.aero/RollsRoyceandtheEnvironmentallyFriendlyEngine.aspx

As a schoolboy I used to spend most of my pocket money on Flight magazine... I remembered reading of Wibault and seeing a sketch of his idea... found it here:
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1960/1960%20-%201299.html?search=wibault

It is really interesting to see how the design developed into the actual final designs.... this must have encouarged me to go and do an engineering apprenticeship at RR Derby two years later....and ended up as a designer just as the big fans 'took off'.