Meteor NF.14 wing dipoles

Justo Miranda

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The yellow dipoles mounted in the wings of these Gloster Meteor N.F. 14 are unknown to me, I can't see them in any real photo of the plane... anyone know what they are?

Attachments

• meteornf1448bg_1.jpg
    meteornf1448bg_1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 64
For what little it may be worth, I see no sign of these in any of my, admittedly small number, of photographs or plans of the NF.14.

I don't think Rebecca was a standard fit on the NF Mk 14 - as pointed out the antenna aren't present in most photos. On the other hand a number of sources suggest that Rebecca was fitted to the Meteor NF(T) Mk 14 navigation trainer - and photos seem to confirm they carried the wing antenna. Looking through some files, I turned up a reference to a trial installation at 49 MU of Rebecca Mk 4 in a Meteor NF Mk 14 of Flying Training Command circa 1959 - which seems to fit the NF(T) case. Interestingly, there is also a reference in same timeframe to a trial installation of Rebecca Mk 8 in the NF Mk 14. An article in Air Enthusiast(25) also shows NF Mk 14s of 60 Sqn in the Far East with the antenna. Perhaps a special (enhanced nav) fit for FEAF ?

Attachments

• RAF-in-Combat.com_Meteor-NF13-82-300x183.jpg
    RAF-in-Combat.com_Meteor-NF13-82-300x183.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 38