Massive earthquake in Japan...

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Japanese forum members - are you and your families OK?

saintkatanalegacy said:
this is worrying...

expected to hit my country by tomorrow morning :'(

Oh dear. Brace yourself and try to hang around a place that's built in something SOLID where nothing can fall down on you. Also make it not too close to the ground in case there are floods or mass panic; nor too high if there is a need to evacuate.

Thoughts go out to the Japanese people. :'(

Though something really creepy happened involving this earthquake, I regularly listen to Coast to Coast AM and last night they had on a guy who said that within the next 24 hours there'd be a major earthquake in the Pacific region. Lo and behold, we have this monster quake. Creepy no?

i saw the picture on German TV
the floodwave gushes over countrysite is gruesome
[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-A0NDsPcZY[/flash]

but more terrifying is Wat came on a German news flash
there are 4 nuclear reactors in the area
the reactor site Onagawa are the turbine burning,
Two other nuclear reactor have problems
also was reported of problem with coolingsystem
Japan Government gave nationwide Nuclear Alert

let's hope there no new Chernoblyn

My thoughts are with Japan at the moment too..
Even the aftershocks are still big ones...
And lets hope the tsunami doesn't do much more harm in the pacific region...

But that gaint sinkhole is a spectacular sight to behold..

news after Spiegel.de
the turbine fire on reactor site Onagawa is extinguished
In the reactor in Fukushima works only a emergency cooling system,
a battery powered system that will shut down in several hours
they evacuate all people in range of 3 km around the reactor

North Japan is without Electrical power after reactors shutdown

Source:
Gesellschaft für Anlagen- und Reaktorsicherheit (GRS mbh)
on data from Japan obtain by International Atomic Energy Agency
and daily newspaper "Yomiuri"

overscan said:
Too soon after Christchurch...

One wonders at a link. If in a few weeks a big one snaps in Alaska, then I'd heartily recommend that anyonyone from Washington state down through California should take some time off and head for the hills (just not the volcanic ones).

My mom think some evil people are dropping nukes into the ground to trigger those massive earthquakes.
I tend to not take that too much seriously - and wikipedia's usually no help, not a truly reliable source.
However, reading Wikipedia "seismic weapon" article, I found this

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=owwAAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA7&ots=1zWNmzxDII&dq=%22tectonic%20weapon%22%20-haiti&pg=PA7#v=onepage&q=%22tectonic%20weapon%22%20-haiti&f=false

Crap, can you believe it ? Nature - and that bulleton of atomic scientists !

More tinfoil theories said that the Aum sect - that spred deadly gas in Japan fifteen years ago - had tried its hand at some kind of Tesla seismic weapon...

We are doomed (rans for cover)

I hope that everybody from the area is at least still alive, because that matters. In my company we delivered during the last two years a lot of electronic sirens to build a complex warning systems in Japan, Australia or Oceania, so lets hope, that they are now saving the lives.

Orionblamblam said:
overscan said:
Too soon after Christchurch...

One wonders at a link. If in a few weeks a big one snaps in Alaska, then I'd heartily recommend that anyonyone from Washington state down through California should take some time off and head for the hills (just not the volcanic ones).

Apart from both being located along the rim of the same tectonic plate? Most unlikely. The tremor in NZ was only remarkable in that it struck a major population centre amidships and for being at a very shallow depth - quakes of that magnitude are a dime a dozen, particularly around the Pac Rim. Hell, *several* of the so-called aftershocks in Honshu today were bigger!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

Over 100 events of magnitude 6.X each year, and more than 30 this year already - it's just that most of them hit miles from anywhere and thus they register only in seismic records.

The one that hit Japan - now THAT's unusual, although again not unheard of. Like the Boxing Day Earthquake of 2004 it was always a statistical possibility and the question was only when, not if, an event of that scale would hit a densely populated area. Both regions are prone to severe tremors.

All of that in no way softens the blow for the Japanese (and NZ) people obviously, so I wish them the best of luck and fortitude to deal with the hardship ahead!

more on Fukushima Reactors site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant
there 6 boiling water reactors are the bigges in Japan
during earthquake the reactors made automatic shutdown
but on reactor 1 the emergency cooling systems FAILED
only a battery powered cooling system keep running
to cool remained heat (7% of total reactor output)
do to total lost of Electrical power, there no restart of main cooling systems

Tokyo Electric Power Company has now Mobil electric generators at place
BUT NO FITTING CABELS TO CONNECT THEM TO THE COOLING SYSTEM

breaking news
the pressure inside Reactor 1 was reported to be 2.1 times the "design capacity."
in Fukushima site radioactivity is increases
the evacuation range is extended to 10 Km now.

Terrible news from Japan. Still no posts from Japanese members? Blackite?

pometablava said:
Terrible news from Japan. Still no posts from Japanese members? Blackite?

north of Japan has still no Electrical power, so no Internet
the rest in japan communication system is in chaos
also they have comprehensible other problem on there hands right now
so it will take some time for post from our Japanese members

Also to all my Navy and Marine Corps friends stationed out there. And their families, if they got 'em out there as well.

Thanks All!
Earthquake's magnitude was 8.8, very big. Almost eastern Japanese sea front suffered TSUNAMI.(1m to 10m high)
Unfortunately we lost over over 1,300 people, Fukushima Nuclear power stations (BWR) are suffering black out(electricity out), it's impossible to remove fuel decay heat by cooling system.(Automatic shut down succeeded. Chain reaction stopped immediately.Generally decay heat decrease rapidly.)
(All water circulation pumps are electric driven.)
Presssure of Containment vessel become too high to withstand, Tokyo electric power corporation was ordered by Japanese government to open pressure relief valve.
Tokyo electric power corporation is trying to connect electric generator car to the nuclear power stations, repare emergency diesel electric genetor, repare electric supply line from other power stations.
We hope this accident not become the level of Three Mile Island nuclear power station accident.
According to Japanese TV news Nuclear Fuel top 90cm exposed from reactor water level now,Tokyo electric corporation trying to charge water into the reactor vessel. Charging water 21,000L into the reactor vessel now.Japanese government said that fuel temperature is not so high. Onagawa nuclear power stations (BWR) are fine nevertheless turbine building fire.(Fire extinguished)
Japanese western area including Tokyo is almost normal. Hokkaido, Kyushu and Japanese sea front are almost normal.
Especially Sendai(仙台) and Fukushima(福島) are very bad situation.Many people are waiting for rescue.Today is very important day Japanese government said. Korean reacue team stand by. Japanese self defence forces performing rescue activity.
Blackie

Attachments

• The hypocenter.jpg
    The hypocenter.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2011-03-12_1353.jpg
    2011-03-12_1353.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 30
  • sendai airport.jpg
    sendai airport.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 2011-03-12_1651.jpg
    2011-03-12_1651.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 30
Some portion of nuclear fuel melted Japanese government said. Cesium detected from the air of Fukushima nuclear power station #1 site.
Nuclear Fuel top 170cm exposed from reactor water level now.(Japan time 13:30 3/12/2011)
The pressure of Primary containment vessel is decreasing to release steam inside the Primary containment vessel.
But the temperature of Reactor vessel inside is increasing.
Tokyo electric corporation keep charging water into the reactor vessel. But the pump is too small. They plan to change larger pumps.

Attachments

• FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR POWER STATION.jpg
    FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR POWER STATION.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 31
Fukushima #1 nuclear power station has MK1 type pressure suppression system. Suppression chamber temperature already reached 100 degree centigrade now, already lost pressure control function.
The Japan Self Defence Force special team arrived to Fukushima #1 nuclear power station to charge water into the reactor vessel.
Fuel temperature reached over 2,000 degree centigrade,Japanese government said.
http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/nuclear_power/20040503-ucs-bg-bwr-containment-overpressure.pdf
Some severe accident occurred in Fukushima #1 nuclear power station.(Some explosion occurred.)
Japanese TV broadcasting very hard and big explosion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9lZBWgtO3o
We only see the flame of reactor building after the explosion. ( The earth quake was too massive for nuclear power station.
Japanese government do not announce us the detail of the accident still now.
Perhaps this accident over the level of TMI nuclear power station accident. Beginning dark.(18:42 12/3/2011)

After eyewitnesses reports some kind of explosion happen at Fukushima Reactor 1
i hope this only pressure release from reactor core
after wiki the Reactor 1&2 is are US General Electric BWR build in 1971/1974

all this reminded me of three miles island (Harrisburg) Accident

We do not get the detail of this accident still now. Toyota decide to close car production line from 3/14(Monday). (Japan time 19:31 12/3/2011)
No.1 Fukushima nuclear power station;#1,#2,#3.#4,#5,#6
No.2 Fukushima nuclear power station;#1.2#,#3(perfectly stopped, coolant temperature is under 100 degree centigrade),#4
There is a news that Japanese Self Defense force special team is going to Fukushima nuclear power station to cool nuclear fuel.

Japanese government says that Hydrogen explosion between reactor building and Primary containment vessel occoured .
Primary containment vessel and reactor vessel are still fine!!!!!
Tokoy ecectric power corporation will fill reactor vessel with sea water including Boron. (Japan time 20:51 12/3/2011)

Me and my family are fine. Just got power back about an hour ago in Yamagata City. Very glad to hear that the containment vessel at Fukushima No1 has held!!!

Hi starviking! We are very glad to hear that you and your family are fine.
New Zealand team will help us! Many thanks New Zealanders! Korean team already arrived Haneda air port Tokyo. Many thanks our friend.
U.S will help us. China and Taiwan will help us. Many thanks. We are in very serious situation now especially Tohoku Pacific sea front region.

Ohhh my god :eek: ... but nice to hear that You are at least alive and well.

I have to admit, that the pictures from the Fukushima nuclear power station are frightening ... but yet another - more aviation related sad new (even if completely unimportant in mind of what happend) is that the Matsushima AB, Miyagi Prefecture home of the 21st Squadron and the "Blue Impulse" (with 28 JASDF aircraft - 18 F-2, and 10 T-4, U-125, and other aircraft) has been flooded by sea water.

http://www.asahi.com/special/10005/TKY201103110818.html
http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye4671336.html

Attachments

• F-2 tsunami.jpg
    F-2 tsunami.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 28
blackkite said:
Hi starviking! We are very glad to hear that you and your family are fine.

Good to hear you're well too!

We're still getting tons of bloody aftershocks though :mad:

:'(

http://alert5.com/2011/03/12/photos-of-damaged-f-2-fighters-at-matsushima-air-base/

http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com/2011/03/tsunami-hits-japans-matsushima-airbase.html

Deino

Attachments

• F-2 tsunami 2.jpg
    F-2 tsunami 2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 45
  • F-2 tsunami 3.jpg
    F-2 tsunami 3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 38
  • F-2 tsunami 5.jpg
    F-2 tsunami 5.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 38
  • F-2 tsunami 4.jpg
    F-2 tsunami 4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 38
I am no expert on nuclear power. But shouldn't whatever SCRAM system they had have killed the process and auxiliary generators (or secondary battery power) enough to prevent decay heat/pressure from being a problem? What is this talk of flooding the reactor with seawater and boric acid? Is that one of the plant's official safety measures or something else?

The Japanese and international engineers there are very skilled no doubt, and I believe they will get this under control. Yet I fear this will be a big setback to those trying for increased nuclear power here in the United States. The Green Peace types will milk this for whatever they can.

The decay heat comes as the name says from the decay of strontium and other fission products not from the fission it self.
Decay heat generates 5 to 10 % of the reactor capacity after shot down of fission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_heat

So heat has to removed form the reactor vessel.

the emergency cooling systems Failed in Reactor 1
the diesel generator were hit by tsunami
the electric power cooling system need the nation power grid
but that was shut down or interrupted by damage do earthquake
so only battery powered cooling system keep running

that's why they flooding the reactor with seawater and boron
the Seawater to cool down
the Boron scotch the remaining nuclear chain reaction in reactorcore

but it was to late the decay heat boiled the Seawater
either the build explode because of over pressure by hot Steam
or the heat was so much that water disassociated into hydrogen and oxygen,
Wat let to a detonating gas explosion...

Hi!
No.1 Fukishima #1:Injecting sea water and boron oxide into the the reactor vessel, already fuel covered by sea
water,yesterday hydrogen explosion occurred.lost reactor building ceiling.Some portion of nuclear fuel melt down. Give
up to return grids.Continuously release inside air(steam) of primary containment vessel to reduce inside pressure
through filter and stack. Fuel decay heat generate steam from sea water continuously.Salt and boron oxide accumulate in
the reactor vessel?
TEPCO plan to inject sea water into containment vessel at next stage. No.1 Fukushima nuclear power station's #1 reactor pressure vessel and primary containment vessel are filled with sea water.
#2:Emergency condition.Lost pressure control function.preparing pressure relief of primary
containment vessel. Under the blackout condition.
Lost measures to supply cooling water into the reactor vessel by it's own system. Alternate external pumps and massive
fresh water are preparing now.
#3:Emergency condition.Lost pressure control function.Open relief valve of primary
containment vessel.Under the blackout condition.
Lost measures to supply cooling water into the reactor vessel by It's own system.Alternate external pumps and massive fresh
water are preparing now. Fuel top exposed and immediately covered by fresh water(2m over) injected by the
external pumps. Try to connect electricity.Begin sea water injection to the reactor vessel because fresh water pump did
not work well.Fuel top exposed again in short time.Some portion of fuel might be melt down.Almost give up to return the
grids.There is a little possibility of hydrogen explosion same as yesterday.(15:41 13/3/2011)TEPCO tried to fill #3 reactor with sea water, but water level is not increasing. Some trouble may occurred (valve trouble?) at #3 reactor, said Japanese government. (Japan time 20:37 13/3/2011)

#4/#5/#6:Under the maintenance condition
No2.Fukushima#1/#2/#4:Emergency condition. Keep electricity from grids. Lost pressure control function(coolant temperature
over 100 degree centigrade.). Supply water into the reactor vessel by supply water system. Repairing cooling system.
preparing pressure relief of primary containment vessel.
#3:perfectly shut down.coolant temperature is under 100 degree centigrade.
All of emergency diesel generators lost function by TSUNAMI.
(Japan time 11:30 13/3/2011)

Attachments

• #1 reactor building after explosion.jpg
    #1 reactor building after explosion.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 18
U.S team will arrive soon at Misawa airport Aomori. Russia is preparing to supply more LNG to Japan.
Nuclear carrier Ronald Reagan will arrive at the suffered area today to use helicopter platform.
German team, England team,France team,China team and Singapore team will arrive soon. Over 50 countries offered help.Many thanks to all.
Over 10,000 people's whereabouts are unknown now.
Many people are waiting for rescue for example at the hospital rooftop isolated by sea water.
This earthquake was too massive, TSUNAMI was too high compared with our expectation.
We have high concrete fence and 7m level gauge there,but no use!! TSUNAMI hight was over 10m at some lost town.
390,000 people evacuated now.It's very cold there. (Japan time 10:00 13/3/2001)
Japanese government corrected the magnitude of this earthquake from 8.8 to 9.0,twice energy. This is one of the largest earthquake human ever experienced.(Chile:9.5(1960), U.S Alaska:9.2(1964), Indonesia:9.1(2004), Russia:9.0(1952))
The level of Fukushima #! nuclear power station accident was 4, while Chrnobyl accident was 7, THI accident was 5.
Onagawa nuclear power station#1,#2,#3 are safe. Coolant temperature is under 100 degree centigrade.