Massive earthquake in Japan...

blackkite said:
Over 10,000 people's whereabouts are unknown now.

To be blunt, if the deathtoll is 10,000... that's *staggeringly* low given what has happened. The entire city of Minamisome seems to have been simply washed away... and it was hardly alone. I would've expected a deathtoll similar to the 2004 tsunami. If Japan gets away with only 10,000 or so dead, that's a hell of a testament to the effectiveness of your earthquake/tsunami preparedness.

Orionblamblam said:
blackkite said:
Over 10,000 people's whereabouts are unknown now.

To be blunt, if the deathtoll is 10,000... that's *staggeringly* low given what has happened. The entire city of Minamisome seems to have been simply washed away... and it was hardly alone. I would've expected a deathtoll similar to the 2004 tsunami. If Japan gets away with only 10,000 or so dead, that's a hell of a testament to the effectiveness of your earthquake/tsunami preparedness.

If you're on the coast and you feel an earthquake you immediately evacuate to higher ground. Municipalities have alert systems too to keep people up-to-date on conditions. Simple as that.

Deino said:
:'(

http://alert5.com/2011/03/12/photos-of-damaged-f-2-fighters-at-matsushima-air-base/

http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com/2011/03/tsunami-hits-japans-matsushima-airbase.html

Deino

That's a shame. It's too bad they couldn't have scrambled them out before the tsunami came in but I guess there wasn't time. There's a video on youtube where a tornado narrowly misses the flightline of a string of B-1bs.

I could care less about the aircraft or the other material things that has been lost - it's all of the people that have perished. It's just terrible. -SP

sferrin said:
Deino said:

http://alert5.com/2011/03/12/photos-of-damaged-f-2-fighters-at-matsushima-air-base/

http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com/2011/03/tsunami-hits-japans-matsushima-airbase.html

Deino

That's a shame. It's too bad they couldn't have scrambled them out before the tsunami came in but I guess there wasn't time. There's a video on youtube where a tornado narrowly misses the flightline of a string of B-1bs.

Might not have had the chance. First landfall after the quake was just 15 minutes.

XB-70 Guy said:
I could care less about the aircraft or the other material things that has been lost - it's all of the people that have perished. It's just terrible. -SP

I'd think that would go without saying.

starviking said:
If you're on the coast and you feel an earthquake you immediately evacuate to higher ground.

You'd think so. But the history of earthquake-driven tsunamis is jam packed with "hey, where'd the ocean go? Let's go run out onto the mud and look for fish!"

The December 2004 tsunami resulted in at least one story of a little girl who saved her family and some others because only *she* remembered seeing something on the Discovery Channel about how the ocean suddenly receding was a Really Bad Thing, and one should head for the hills.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

http://tv.repubblica.it/copertina/tsunami-l-impatto-dell-onda/63982?video=&ref=HREA-1

new videos on tsunami !

Orionblamblam said:
starviking said:
If you're on the coast and you feel an earthquake you immediately evacuate to higher ground.

You'd think so. But the history of earthquake-driven tsunamis is jam packed with "hey, where'd the ocean go? Let's go run out onto the mud and look for fish!"

The December 2004 tsunami resulted in at least one story of a little girl who saved her family and some others because only *she* remembered seeing something on the Discovery Channel about how the ocean suddenly receding was a Really Bad Thing, and one should head for the hills.

Not likely in Japan (a small minority of ubiquitous idiots not withstanding). People there are downright indoctrinated with earthquake and tsunami survival procedures from a very early age. Although I agree that the country would be very lucky to get away with "only" 10000 casualties, I wouldn't expect a 200000+ death toll either, given Japan's level of preparedness and the much more limited area affected.

Japanese government(NISA) says that the inner pressure of No.1 Fukushima nuclear power station #1 reactor is 0.353MPaG and #3 reactor is 0.25MPaG. Very low pressure. #3 reactor's primary containment vessel relief valve become normal(21:00 13/3/2011). TEPCO tried to fill #3 reactor with sea water, but reactor water level is not increasing. Water level of reactor is under 1.8 or 2.2m from fuel top level. Fuel height is about 4m. TPECO is continuing sea water injection to the #3 reactor vessel with fire pumps.There is a hydrogen explosion possibilty at #3 reactor building same as yesterday's #1 reactor building explosion, but Primary containment vessel and reactor vessel are strong enough to withstand explosion.
RCIC system of #2 reactor still working.

TEPCO tried to exchange No.2 Fukushima #1,#2 and #4 reactor's cooling system sea water pump motor which destroyed by TSUNAMI to recover cooling function. (Japan time 40:23 13/3/2011)

there News of increase of radioactivity at Onagawa nuclear powerplant (3 BWR reactors)
but is unclear of this Fallout from the Fukushima blast or Meltdown of the Onagawa Reactors
also report Tokai nuclear powerplant failure of reactors cooling system (1 BWR reactor, the oldest in Japan)

also extrem bad new is that the Fukushima reactors use MOX-fuel
a blend of oxides of plutonium and natural uranium, reprocessed uranium, or depleted uranium (mostly 7% Pu, 93% U)

Chernobly al over again only this time septuple

Was the design of the backup seawater cooling system itself inadequate?

Hi! The situation of No.1 Fukushima(福島) nuclear power station #1, #2 and #3 reactor are same situation as last night according to internet and TV news, stable. There is a possibility of #3 reactor's some portion of fuel melted. But environmental radioactivity level was not so high(1000 to 1600μSv/h,site area).(Japan time 6:18 14/3/2011)
Our concern is hydrogen explosion possibility of #3 reactor buildings now.It's true that some portion of #3 reactor's fuel is MOX.

Onagawa(女川) nuclear power station #1,#2 and #3 (BWR) are perfectly stopped now, coolant temperature of those reactors are under 100 degree centigrade.We think that the radioactivity which detected in Onagawa nuclear power station is from Fukushima nuclear power staion.
Distance between Fukushima and Onakawa is about 100km.(Tohoku electric power corporation said yesterday)

Hydrogen explosion occured (Japan time 11:01 14/3/2001) at No.1 Fukushima nuclear power station #3 reactor building same as #1 reactor building. Primary containment vessel and reactor vessel are fine same as #1 reactor. (Said Japanese Government(NISA)).
#3 reacter is still cooling by sea water injection to the reactor vessel using fire pums. Control room is fine.

Attachments

• #3 reactor building after explosion.jpg
    #3 reactor building after explosion.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 12
My thoughts and prayers go to you and your country, my Japanese friends. The world is holding their breath, and we all deeply respect your positive attitude, deep courage and unbroken spirit in these most difficult times.

Many thanks Stargazer2006. Your message encourage us very much.
Good news.
Fukushima No.2 #1,#2 and #4 reactor recovered cooling function. Coolant temperature is decreasing now. I feel those reactors are almost safe situation.
Bad news.
No.1 Fukushima #2 reactor is beginning to fall into the same situation as #1 and #3 reactor. Our concern is hydrogen explosion of reactor building.
TEPCO is planning to open the hole at the reactor building wall which avoid hydrogen concentration prior to hydrogen explosion.
Distance between Fukushima No.1 site(6 reactors)and No.2 site(4 reactors) is 10km.
Critical reactors are No.1 Fukushima #1,#2 and #3.

At last some good news
how is condition at Tokai nuclear powerplant ?
I hope and pray that Japan not have a Chernobyl type disaster

No.1 Fukushima #2 reactor is very dangerous. All fuel exposed now. Sea water pump broke.(TV news) (Japan time 20:12 14/3/2011)
Charging. All fuel not exposed now. NISA says(Japan time 20:23 14/3/2011)
Reactor pressure is 0.54MPaG, Primary containment pressure is 0.415MPaG.
17:15; water level,top of fuel.
18:22; level gauge no indication
20:07; water level,bottom of fuel still charging.(TEPCO says)(20:55 14/3/2011)

Tokai #2(BWR) is no ploblem, #1(GCR) stop operation now.

No.1 Fukushima #2 reactor water level : 2m from top of the fuel now.(2m expose)(NISA says)
Open reactor vessel safety valve to reduce reactor vessel pressure ,then sea water level increased.(Japan time 21:34 14/3/2011)
And hydrogen generated from melted fuel remove to Primary containment vessel then remove to reactor building.
There is a possibility of hydrogen explosion of reactor building same as #1 and #3 reactor.
I feel TEPCO had no time to open hole at the building wall. Everything happens very rapidly.
No.1 Fukushima #1 reactor:460MWe,operation began in 1971.
No.1 Fukushima #2 reactor:784MWe,operation began in 1974.
No.1 Fukushima #3 reactor:784MWe,operation began in 1976.
TEPCO will increase pumps to cool #1, #2 and #3 reactors.(TEPCO says)

Attachments

• No.1 No.1 Fukushima nuclear site.jpg
    No.1 No.1 Fukushima nuclear site.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 23
Here are some information about what is going on

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

http://atomicinsights.blogspot.com/2011/03/nuclear-plant-issues-in-japan-are-least.html

breaking News: after news agency Kyodo

Fukushima Reactor 2 is DRY
the water level is dropt under Reactor core

in Fukushima Reactor 3 the water level is droping also !

Heard on the news this morning that a JDF ship picked up a survivor ten miles off the coast. Seems the man was clinging to remnants of roof of house and waving his shirt at them...

Sadly, it is likely that he was the *only* survivor from his coastal community...

Reactor #2 is bad situation now.
Reactor #2 safety valve(2) got out of order last night. All fuel exposed last 23:00.Recovered sea water injection this morning(1:00)
Water level recovered from 3:00.
Inner pressure of reactor vessel still low. Also decay heat decreasing.
Some part of suppression chamber of primary containment vessel might be broke.(Japan time 6:58 15/23 2011)

BBC World just reported a new explosion in Reactor 2.

Edit: Thousands of bodies found all over the seaboard. Thousands still missing... A tragedy, yet again.

I 've red yesterday that they use fire engines to pump the seawater into the reactor.

We have to figure how tricky - if not desperate - the actual situation is (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'll erase this post then)

The Japanese need, quite simply, water to be pumped int the reactor to cool it. Right. The real problem, however, is: we have pumps, but what energy source to make them work ?
- the power grid has been knocked down
- the oil infrastructure has been knocked down
- the powerplant emergency systems have been knocked down.

No fuel, no electricity on the site: perhaps that explain why they had to resort to the fire engines as makeshift nuclear powerplant cooling systems.
A fire engines is somewhat autonomous - power-wise, fuel-wise, pump-wise, it doesn't depend from external sources. It can run on its own engine, fuel, batteries... at least for a short time !

Then at some point the fire engine will exhaust its fuel supply. Then how do you refuel the truck, since power, fuel, electricity grids are devastated ?

Archibald said:
The real problem, however, is: we have pumps, but what energy source to make them work ?

The nuclear-powered ship or submarine you park right off shore. Imagine if a Los Angeles class were to sidle on up and run out some extension cords. A sub would have the ability to be buttoned up tight to get the hell out of Dodge if one or more of the reactors decides to quit screwin' around and really go for it.

Alternatively, ask Al Gore to plant some solar panels right there. I'm sure he has some to spare.

Sawa, what about radiation level in Tokio?

In german TV they says: Reactor#5 and#6 have low level water cooling? The same problems like the other Reactors?

Hi Tokyo's radioactivity level is low, no problem.
This morning explosion noise from No.1 Fukushima #2 reactor suppression chamber of Primary containment vessel occurred.
But it's still working. Inner pressure is 2atg.(almost 0.2MPaG)
#2 reactor water level is fuel top -2.7m and increasing. Radioactivity level of Fukushima site main gate is 2000μSv/h.
Also continuing sea water injection to the reactor vessel of No.1 Fukushima #1 and #3 reactor.
No.2 Fukushima #1, #2 and #4 reactor are cold stand by condition, no problem.
No.1 Fukushima site still black out. They use fire engine now.(Japan time 20:25 3/15 2011)
I think electricity receiving equipment, for example power transformer are lost function by sea water and TSUNAMI energy.

Local experts ( from the Belgian radio) think the back up and failsafe systems might have been damaged by the tsunami. Has this been reported in Japan too?

The French government has told that according to measurements at their embassy, the Tokyo radiation level is 5-10 times background. That's little, less than 1 microsievert per hour. You get 5 microsieverts per hour in an airplane at 10 km height.

Here's reactor status estimate overview from JAIF on march 15 19.00: it doesn't look good as two reactors have half of their fuel exposed and one status is unknown. That means they'll melt.

Attachments

• fukushima_mar_15_19_00.png
    fukushima_mar_15_19_00.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 25
Hydrogen explosion and fire occurred at No.1 Fukushima #4 reactor building yesterday morning(6:00).Fire extinguished naturally.Hi level radioactivity level was detected at mountain side of #3 reactor building outside (400mSv/h) and decreased now. NISA and TEPCO think that hydrogen generated from nuclear fuel stored in water pool outside of reactor because #4 reactor is under maintenance. Some portion of fuel exposed from water level because small decay heat still generated.Pool water cooling function lost because of black out. There is a hole at #4 reactor building by hydrogen explosion yesterday morning.
This morning TECPO discovered fire again(5:45) at #4 reactor building same as yesterday morning. But it's difficult to access fire because radioactivity level is high.(From TV news this morning.(Japan time 7:00 16/3/2011)
It's necessary to charge water into the water pool which stored the nuclear fuel and extinguish the fire.
Tre are some methods because #4 reactor building wall and top already opened by hydrogen explosion yesterday.
Fire disppeared now.(8:00 by TV news)

Thanks for the updates Blackkite - it beats the rubbish that's being circulated in the Western media.

starviking said:
Thanks for the updates Blackkite - it beats the rubbish that's being circulated in the Western media.
Agreed. I don't watch tv, but what little I'm seeing on reddit about the media coverage of this is that the coal and natgas industries couldn't pay enough to whip up such horrendous levels of antinuke hysteria, but they're getting it all for free (maybe).

JAIF status estimate March 16 12:30. Don't know why they didn't cool the spent fuel rods normally, they don't have huge power anymore, it's standard operating procedure that's done at every nuke around the world. I imagine there must have been lots of time to anticipate that too! It's always a lot harder after a hydrogen explosion. There must have been some massive communications breakdowns.

Attachments

• fukushima_mar_16_12_30.png
    fukushima_mar_16_12_30.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 27
I 've been told that the use of sea water for reactor cooling instead of clear water signifies that they will be useless afterwards. Is that true? And if so, why?

Because the Circulation pumps are not working, the sea water being injected into the reactor vessel to cool the fuel rods will simply boil and be vented as radioactive steam. But salts in sea water precipitate out when the water boils. So pretty soon the inside of the reactor vessel will be filled with hot molten salt. If the reactor is not specifically designed to use molten salt as coolant, then the corrosive properties of hot molten salt will pretty much destroy all the metal surface of the reactor. The reactor is pretty much toast.

Japanese government decided to use U.S Military fire pumps to charge #3 and #4 reactor spent fuel pools from tomorrow morning.
Because this morning white steam rose from #3 reactor building. NISA and TEPCO think that this steam was rose from spent fuel pool of #3 reactor.Using helicopter is not proper because radioactivity level is high.
Some part of primary containment vessel of #2 reactor seemed to be broke because it's inner pressure is same as atmosphere.
TEPCO is still charging sea water into #1,#2 and #3 reactor by 200 workers.They charge fuel to fire pumps in a short time and escape to the safe area. Iradiated limit is 250mSv per man. International limit is 500mSv.Radioactibity level 25km apart from No.1 Fukushima site is 80μSv/h,not so high.(From TV news Japan time 21:17 16/3/2011)

Attachments

• 2011-03-16_2006.jpg
    2011-03-16_2006.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Japanese fire pump which charge sea water to the reactors.jpg
    Japanese fire pump which charge sea water to the reactors.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 12