• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Martin Baker MB-3 and 4

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know of decent plans/blueprints for the MB-3 and or MB-4? I am hoping for something that demonstrates wing and fuselage frames if possible.

Schneiderman

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I doubt that any have survived but as a great deal of the structure was shared with the MB5 you should be able to adapt from that. There are several plans and cut-aways of the MB5 that can be found online. A company called Scale Planes did a good one, I wish I had a hires copy. For the engine mounts for the Napier Sabre you can use the construction photos of that aircraft. I cannot find the MB website where they were originally posted but you can find copies here.

http://www.modelarovo.cz/letouny-martin-baker-mb-3-mb-5-fotoreport/

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
Thank you, very much appreciated.

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
OK, I have checked commonality between the 3 and 5 and there are significant differences. I will just have to continue looking.

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Coming back to the original question I believe that a the MB5 shared much with the MB3, the major changes being to the engine mount structure ahead of the cockpit, larger fin and accommodation for the radiator. The rear fuselage panel lines are broadly similar between each aircraft indicating similar underlying framework.imgMB3.jpgMartin Baker MB3 bubble.JPGMartin Baker MB5.JPG

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
The cockpit is a fair bit further back in the three.

Schneiderman

Reaction score
Yes, and other changes, but Martin stuck to the same basic structural system he had patented