Martin 202 with high wing

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

From Flightglobal,the Martin Model-202 with high wing.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1944/1944%20-%202269.html?search=removed+wing+project

Attachments

• Model-202.JPG
    Model-202.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 479
Well I don't know about what other people may think, but to me the resemblance to another Martin product is rather striking.

Oh, just a wee bit like a Marauder... ;D

Enjoy the Day! Mark

ISTR reading a modeling article from some time back about a small Post WWII French airliner that was quite similar to this. I believe the modeler used B-26 wings & engines & other B-26 parts. I can't recall the name of the aircraft, tho. It's also similar to the Douglas DC-5, IMHO.

Dear Frank, the Bréguet 89 Mars/Mercure series looked a bit like this, but with a box-section fuselage and swing-tail for loading. They were the unsuccessful competitors to the S.N.C.A.N N.2500 Noratlas. The Breda-Pittoni BP.471 also looks a bit like this but with an inverted gull wing centre-section......

All best, Terry (Caravellarella).

About the 202...

" In September 1944 plans for a 30-passenger Martin Model 202,tentatively named Mercury
were send to the Aircraft Requirements Committee.... with its high "shoulder" wings
the 202-12 version looked rather like a B-26 Marauder,a point noted in the press release"

So far : John Breihan,Stan Piet and Roger Mason in 'Martin Aircraft 1909-1960.Narkiewicz/Thomson.

Mark Nakivil scored a direct hit...

Very interesting. How does this relate to the "JR2M-1 Mercury" quoted by Pometablava from the Mini Docavia book on Martin? Or to the Model 228 "Twin engine 26-passenger commercial transport"?

JR2M "Mercury" was, according to what I saw in the L-M picture archives, a COD version of the AM-1.

Thanks! Allow me to quote you from another topic: "I do have some data from the LM Aero historical gallery on the JR2M if anyone's interested."

So here I am, I'm definitely interested to know more about this project!

Me too, if you please. All I think I've seen is a side view drawing of it somewhere. Thanks.

Stargazer2006 said:
Thanks! Allow me to quote you from another topic: "I do have some data from the LM Aero historical gallery on the JR2M if anyone's interested."

It's also quite similar to the DC-5. Also the Airspeed Ambassador, IIRC.

Caravellarella said:
Dear Frank, the Bréguet 89 Mars/Mercure series looked a bit like this, but with a box-section fuselage and swing-tail for loading. They were the unsuccessful competitors to the S.N.C.A.N N.2500 Noratlas. The Breda-Pittoni BP.471 also looks a bit like this but with an inverted gull wing centre-section......

All best, Terry (Caravellarella).

Just one of different variations, one even twin-boomed.

Stargazer2006 said:

Unfortunately, that was likely posted while I was still working for Lockheed-Martin. That employement ended a year and a half ago and I don't have access to their photo archives any more. In general, I'd say, from memory, it bears the same resemblance to the single-seat AM-1 that the multi-seat versions of the Skyraider bear to the single-seat versions. Too, if I do have a copy, it's on my home computer and not the laptop I took with me when I took this contract position in Connecticut.

I'm sorry I can't provide more info at this time.

It's okay, thanks for trying! At least I can now picture a Mauler with a large cockpit like that of the multi-seat Skyraiders...

IIRC, it still had the single cockpit, but was more along the lines of an AD-4N with seats in the fuselage behind & below the cockpit. ISTR a couple of windows. I'll see if I can find the drawing I have. It may have come from Ginter's book on the Mauler. It definitely wasn't along the lines of an AD-5/A-1E.

elmayerle said:
Stargazer2006 said:

Unfortunately, that was likely posted while I was still working for Lockheed-Martin. That employement ended a year and a half ago and I don't have access to their photo archives any more. In general, I'd say, from memory, it bears the same resemblance to the single-seat AM-1 that the multi-seat versions of the Skyraider bear to the single-seat versions. Too, if I do have a copy, it's on my home computer and not the laptop I took with me when I took this contract position in Connecticut.

I'm sorry I can't provide more info at this time.

Maybe it's a book on Martin aircraft then. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Stargazer2006 said:
frank said:
It may have come from Ginter's book on the Mauler.

Nope. Just had a look at Naval Fighters #24 and it's not in there...

frank said:
IIRC, it still had the single cockpit, but was more along the lines of an AD-4N with seats in the fuselage behind & below the cockpit. ISTR a couple of windows. I'll see if I can find the drawing I have. It may have come from Ginter's book on the Mauler. It definitely wasn't along the lines of an AD-5/A-1E.

I stand corrected. Then again, it has been a few years and I'm relying solely on memory here. Actually, your description does jibe better with what I can remember of the drawing.

What about the possibility of several different designs, one including a huge cockpit along the lines of the A-1E? Just because I saw only the version I have a copy of. Somewhere. Probably in storage. I'll try to get there in a few days.

elmayerle said:
frank said:

I stand corrected. Then again, it has been a few years and I'm relying solely on memory here. Actually, your description does jibe better with what I can remember of the drawing.

Looking at the profile, how were they going to do the very thick wing's carry through? Some elaborate structure? Otherwise it goes right in the passenger compartment.
Having recently traveled with a Fokker 50 with a clear bump in the cabin ceiling at the high wing's position, it's a clear reason why most airliners are low winged designs...

Hi,

here is a Marin Model-202-12 and a more Info about Model-202-11.

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19440807/1/2
http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19440807/22/2

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 2.png
    2.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 416
Full article:

Attachments

• AW 1944-08-07_p.43-44.jpg
    AW 1944-08-07_p.43-44.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 261
Hi,

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala/L'Ala%201945%20011-12.pdf

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    652.3 KB · Views: 145
Back
Top Bottom