LOHR VPX 5000 light armoured vehicle?

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day once again gents

I am looking for information on the French LOHR VPX 5000 light armoured vehicle.
A neat little AFV, which looks as though it could have been as versatile as the West German Wiesel series of light armoured vehicles.
From what I can make out, it was proposed in a 120mm Self-propelled mortar system a HOT ATGM equipped tank destroyer and a Reconnaissance/APC variants!
Any other variant proposed or demonstrated?
Would anyone have some good quality profile drawings of the design?

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• French Lohr VPX 40 M 120mm self propelled mortar system.jpg
    French Lohr VPX 40 M 120mm self propelled mortar system.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 257
  • French LOHR VPX 5000 light armoured vehicle.jpg
    French LOHR VPX 5000 light armoured vehicle.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 258
  • LOHR VPX 5000 light armoured vehicle, in Recon or APC variant.jpg
    LOHR VPX 5000 light armoured vehicle, in Recon or APC variant.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 257
  • LOHR VPX 5000, equipped as a tank destroyer, armed with HOT ATGM's.jpg
    LOHR VPX 5000, equipped as a tank destroyer, armed with HOT ATGM's.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 668
That mortar crew is completely exposed, and it's wierd that the TOW version has a remotely-operated mg but a completely exposed TOW operator. Neither inspires much confidence, IMHO. What's the point of a light armored vehicle that doesn't offer any protection when you need it most?

Oops, more pics added while I was typing. The reconnaissance vehicle with a little turret and the quad missile launcher appear much more useful, though I wonder about the level of protection.

Cheers,

Matthew

That's a Milan, not a TOW (this is a French vehicle!).
The Milan is on the standard mount and the machine gun RWS seems to be the one that was once mounted on the back of a Marder.

The quad HOT launcher is the same as once shown on a Wiesel prototype as well.

The mortar team is exposed because this is a tracked carrier vehicle, not an APC. Survivability comes from shoot & scoot, and this is an obvious improvement over using a VLRA + mortar combination in regard to survivability (easy to conceal, tracked vehicle all terrain capability, protection against HE with PD fuse).

Thanks gents!!
Some interesting points you both make, which I appreciate greatly!! ;)

Regards
Pioneer

Prof12, as for someone who manpacked 81mm mortar's for more years and kilometres than I care to remember, I love this arrangement - armour or no armour protection!

Regards
Pioneer