Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird - Origins & Evolution

On this subject, the reviewer noticed a couple of drawings marked with the wrong scale, in particular on page 16 and page 108.

Ayup. The lower illustration on page 16 (B-36G/GEBO) is 1/350 scale, not 1/144. Curiously, the original diagram shows 1/350, not 1/144. So I don't know if that's an earlier incorrect version of the diagram, or if something got shuffled somewhere. Also: the top view has a dashed outline of the GEBO, but it barely shows up. Page 108: ayup, again. All are 1/100; that one *isn't* 1/65. That one is definitely on me.

Further, on page 100, the AF-112D drawing, there appears to be an error with the port chine, at the aircraft's nose.

It's not an error... or maybe it is. The original diagram indicates that the IR sensor was covered by a fairing that is either retractable or jettisonable. The intent behind the way the CAD diagram was drawn was to depict that, so it's not an error that it looks like that. But it might be an erroneous *approach* to how to depict that, since it is unclear.

Any other errors, let me know.

Thanks for the clarification on the diagram. Too late for this edition, but maybe a good idea for any future one, to note in the text, or diagram caption that there was to be a fairing over the IR sensor.
That's all I could find, apart from one or two typos, which aren't really worth bothering about (they don't disrupt or alter the text in any meaningful way ).

cheers,
Robin.

That's all I could find, apart from one or two typos, which aren't really worth bothering about (they don't disrupt or alter the text in any meaningful way ).

There are quite a few typos. "Armor" and "color" and the like mysteriously gained extraneous "U's" when the files were sent to Britain for editing. Kind of a puzzler, that one.

Well, this one has arrived at the local B&N. If I didn't already have a copy, I would definitely buy it there.

Just arrived in the mail today. Well worth the wait.

I've encountered a few copies at the local Barnes & Noble.

It remains available on Amazon; I know some people have gotten their copies that way. But so far, zero reviews have been posted there. Which seems a little odd. You'd think at least the haters would have come out.

Attachments

• 20210809_131436.jpg
    20210809_131436.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210809_131506.jpg
    20210809_131506.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 48

It remains available on Amazon; I know some people have gotten their copies that way. But so far, zero reviews have been posted there. Which seems a little odd. You'd think at least the haters would have come out.
My favourite was a review of one of the Secret Projects books which was along the lines of - "Disappointed - Its just a load of aircraft designs that were never built". Expect at least one review complaining about lack of operational coverage and crew interviews.

My favourite was a review of one of the Secret Projects books which was along the lines of - "Disappointed - Its just a load of aircraft designs that were never built". Expect at least one review complaining about lack of operational coverage and crew interviews.

Pff. That ain't nuthin'. I briefly tried selling my US Bomber Projects on Amazon and found that I had a stalker who review bombed them all. Such as:

Just of bunch of marketing sketches
Reviewed in the United States on December 13, 2014
This book is a collection of proposed aircraft that never even made it to the mockup stage. I understood going in that these were not actual projects, but I did not realize that they were just back-of an-envelope initial ideas. There are probably thousands of candidates that meet that threshold. I found the book pointless.

That was USBP01. With a negative review like that you'd imagine the review wouldn't be interested in any more. Guess again!

My favourite is an Amazon review of On Atlas' Shoulders - 'A book for Aviation enthusiasts. It has an enormous amount of detail about decades of aircraft. I wanted a book which majored on the A400M difficulties which were only touched on; so I was slightly disappointed.'

Must've been the same bloke. My mistake was putting a photo of an Atlas on the cover.

Oh, also expect one-star reviews because the postie tore the packaging.

Chris

Oh, also expect one-star reviews because the postie tore the packaging.

Yeah, I'm expecting that. I kinda sympathize; your item arrives damaged, you're gonna be peeved. But that low rating reflects on the *item,* which is not at fault. shrug.

I'm also looking forward to the inevitable complaints that my book wasn't jam-packed full of the same SR-71 photos we've seen in book after book.

I look forward to any and all aviation publications from Messrs. Lowther and Gibson.

Give a while, I have received notification it has been accepted so it should be up.

You'd think at least the haters would have come out.
One can't criticise perfection.
Sure one can. I have seen legitimate criticisms regarding some of the listed scales being wrong, oddities in the paper, unclear details on one of the CAD diagrams. And then one can fire up one's internal Cyrano and start criticizing the lack of color photos, the briefness of the discussion about the "Aurora" project, the *complete* failure of the book to go into a detailed discussion of the appearance of the SR-71 in "D.A.R.Y.L.," "X-Men: First Class" and "Deadpool," and, worst of all, the tragic lack of topless photos of Christina Hendricks and Kate Upton.

Scott,

Look what just landed in my dusty little patch of West Texas! Found rather unexpectedly at my neighborhood Barnes & Noble. I had to snap up a copy.

I gotta say. You really outdid yourself! Great job man! I just started reading it today, but I love it already!

Attachments

• 0815211411~2.jpg
    0815211411~2.jpg
    916.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Scott, I put up a short review on Amazon. Don’t expect much for a retired burnt out flatfoot!

Good luck with this Scott. Hope you sell a squillion!
Thanks. Perhaps unsurprisingly I've paid more attention to this Amazon listing that pretty much any other, and I'm baffled by the constant shift in price. It's current about twice what it was a day or two ago.

1 review on Amazon.com, 1 review on Amazon.co.uk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant.
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 14 August 2021
Verified Purchase
A great book reflecting the huge amount of research and data collection required, this man writes a book we can read and get information from in a manner we can easily get our noggins around. Brilliant, if you are interested in aviation and/or this aircraft, buy the bluddy book and you will NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate source for the accurate technical history of the Blackbird.
Reviewed in the United States on August 16, 2021
Verified Purchase
Scott provides us with line drawings, and written details of the SR-71 from its predecessors to NASA use. Many have not been presented before. My only complaint ….. all books have deleted sections to meet printing limitations such as time or length of the book. This makes me ache to see what didn't see print in this fine publication.

There are quite a few typos. "Armor" and "color" and the like mysteriously gained extraneous "U's" when the files were sent to Britain for editing. Kind of a puzzler, that one.
Fortunately, i am quite happy with English spellings. I don't know any other way. :)

My copy arrived last week, along with the book on Boeing B-47 & B-52.
Both books are outstanding. Very detailed and of a professional quality seldom seen.
I am a passionate fan of top quality 3-view line drawings, and not only are there tons of these in both books, but i am delighted to find 3-views of some aircraft that i have been searching for for quite a few years, too: especially the XF-103 & XF-108, the various Suntans and the two 'super-guppies' to use a term loosely.
(Now, among my top priorities, i am only short of quality 3-views of the following: Lockheed L-100-50 stretch Hercules, the Aerocon Wingship, and, the various Myasishchev M-18 & M-20 projects. I am tremendously happy).

(Now, among my top priorities, i am only short of quality 3-views of ... the Aerocon Wingship...
Something I've wanted to tackle, but the references I've found have been either distressingly low-rez or irritatingly contradictory. Decent diagrams *were* made back in the day, but sadly I've not come across good enough quality copies to hope to produce reliably accurate diagrams of my own.

(Now, among my top priorities, i am only short of quality 3-views of ... the Aerocon Wingship...
Something I've wanted to tackle, but the references I've found have been either distressingly low-rez or irritatingly contradictory. Decent diagrams *were* made back in the day, but sadly I've not come across good enough quality copies to hope to produce reliably accurate diagrams of my own.
Thanks for reply.

Thanks for reply.
FYI, I've emailed a few people and made a FOIA request for some Aerocon documents. I have *zero* expectation of success, but what the hell, you never know.

Thanks for reply.
FYI, I've emailed a few people and made a FOIA request for some Aerocon documents. I have *zero* expectation of success, but what the hell, you never know.
If only there were more people as dedicated, talented & professional as you are.

If only there were more people as dedicated, talented & professional as you are.
breaking-bad-walter-white.gif