Blackbird Haynes Manual

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
Looking forward to it also! With Crickmore's name on it I am hoping for something really good.

Jason

Well, let me just repeat the review of the book that I posted in my local IPMS chapter newsletter:

"Haynes is at it again, with another offbeat Owners’ Workshop Manual on a vehicle none of us is ever likely to own, the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird! Co-written by Paul Crickmore, one of the renowned experts on these aircraft, it details both the service history and technical details, at least as much as isn’t still classified! Some of this gets a bit deep for the layman, but it’s there if you want it. Two nice chapters give the pilot’s viewpoint and the crew-chief’s viewpoint, and these go a long way to describing the unique aspects of Blackbird operations. Appendices cover the D-21 drone program, NASA’s use of the aircraft, a list of records set, and the disposition of every Blackbird built. Even if you have other books on the SR-71, you should consider adding this one to your library."

And, yes, it does include the A-12, M-21 and YF-12A.

Got mine yesterday. There doesn't appear to be much "new" in the way of released information, but there are some very worthwhile bits. The section composed of thoughts by maintainers about prepping and working on the SR-71 is very interesting. And there appear to be a large number of previously unreleased schematics and pilot/maintenance checklists. All in all it isn't a huge new data source but if you're a Blackbird fan you'll definitely find it of interest.