New book on the Goodyear GA-28A/B Convoy Fighter!

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
20446173660_2fa09b5ca5_o.jpg

Hi all! After a long hiatus, I have a new book on the market on the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation GA-28A/B, one of the submissions to the US Navy convoy fighter competition of 1950, which ultimately produced the Convair XFY-1 and Lockheed XFV-1 VTOL aircraft. The GA-28A was a three-quarter scale prototype of the convoy fighter, while the GA-28B was the full scale design armed with four 20 mm cannon. Both were VTOL tailsitters powered by turboprop engines and featured a semi-delta, semi-midwing configuration with triple vertical tail surfaces. The aircraft also had unusual landing gear which permitted either conventional or vertical landing and takeoff. This 8.5″ x 11″ softcover book is 34 pages in length and features 40 illustrations, including detailed schematics, artist’s impressions, and speculative color profiles of these unorthodox aircraft designs; color printing throughout with a full color glossy cover. A low resolution preview of the book’s interior pages is shown below:

20446270780_534a14d3e7_b.jpg

Listed at $15.99, the print edition of this book can be purchased on Amazon.com as well as its overseas branches, such as Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, and Amazon.co.jp, along with other major booksellers worldwide. (Actual price may vary depending on the discount offered by these retailers). A Kindle edition is available on Amazon.com and its subsidiaries for just $5.99; the high resolution images are scaled to display well on tablets such as the iPad Air and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. An EPUB edition is available for $5.99 from Barnes & Noble, Apple iBooks, Google Play, Kobo, and many other eBook retailers. Finally, Retromechanix readers can purchase the EPUB version for just $4.99 from my shop on Gumroad.com, a savings of $1 off the regular price!

I also wanted to let you know that I have a new Facebook and Twitter page for those who want to receive information on new releases through these platforms.

I hope you enjoy the book—thanks for your interest and support!

Best Regards,

Jared Zichek

This is marvelous!! Congratulations on your ever excellent work!

I can imagine how beautiful these designs would look in model form...

Welcome back, Jared! I think I've read "Secret Aerospace Projects.." cover to cover so many times I may have to a new copy. And "Motherships..." has gotten a few good readings too! Miss your writing, man! Looking forward to the new stuff! B)

Thanks Jared. I nominate this design for the Batplane. ;)

Another fantastic book, I will order soon. But I also want to buy print edition of the American Aerospace Archive series. When will they be available in Amazon?

Thanks guys, good to be back! I don't have immediate plans to sell back issues of the magazine through Amazon, but may do so someday.

Formidable Jared... after all the years of wondering what it could have been
the Goodyear unknown contender is there !

Thanks so much.

Jared

Missed your work so much. It's great to enjoy it again. I've enjoyed the new book very much. Now I'm subscribed to your newsletter waiting for the next convoy fighter projects to be published.

It looks fascinating. Powered by the same XT40 engine that the others used?

Yes, the GA-28B was powered by an Allison XT-40-A-8 (with an optional afterburner), while the smaller three-quarter scale prototype was powered by an Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba.

I got this for Xmas. Great book, great subject. I know Goodyear missed out on a few contracts at this time due to capacity problems and high USN demand (contemporary) for their ZSG non-rigid LTAs but the GA-28 seems to be a far more sensible offering than the contracted convoy fighter demonstrators or at least Lockheed's non tail sitting, tail sitter. Being able to takeoff and land horizontally and transition at the push of a button to vertical aspect (while on its wheels) for takeoff and or after landing (and vice versas) seems like a very important capability for any in service tail sitting aircraft.

I'm still waiting for Zichek's "Volume 2 of Secret Aerospace Projects of the USN". I know book writing and publishing doesn't work like that so I'm happy to see them one monograph at a time but I would like to see another complete package book in larger format. Like something covering all of the convoy fighter proposals or the second and worst placings in the various VF/VA competitions of the 1940s and 50s. We know he's got it in him and a market if he can find the time and/or publisher to make it realized.

I'm so sorry, but could you help me with a problem? I found such an illustration in your wonderful book. Do you have a list that should have been attached to this illustration? I would be very grateful if I could read this list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231205_113155_Google Play Books.jpg
    Screenshot_20231205_113155_Google Play Books.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom