Lockheed SPY-7 Confirmed for Canadian Surface Combatant

Hawk Eyes

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Looks like LMT has finally inked a contract for SPY-7 on the Canadian Surface Combatant.

Curious how the Canadian build will differ from the Spanish SPY-7 build with Indra. Wonder if there will be any Indra components on the Canadian version or if it will be all U.S. with additional components subcontracted out to Canadian companies. Press releases do highlight the role of quality manufacturing jobs in Quebec as a part of the contract agreement.

Are there Canadian GaN foundries capable of making high-quality components for SPY-7? Lockheed uses an open foundry model, sourcing it's GaN components rather than building in-house like Raytheon, so it's possible they plan to shoot work to Canada that way.

I'm not sure about Canadian foundries. Haven't looked into them. I don't think LMT would have any issues sourcing from Qorvo or Wolfspeed/Cree for the CSC shipsets. Indra did supply the T/R modules for their SPY-7 variant, but it is not clear where they sourced their GaN from. I'm curious how much variation LMT would want in terms of subcomponents to the sensor. Surely there are several standard subcomponents that they can outsource country-by-country, but I would think that, performance-wise, they would want consistency on core pieces like the GaN.