Lockheed CL-1201 Logistic Support Aircraft

I can't imagine how loud that thing would be in the hover. I think those engine banks up front were retractable.

Great to see this 3d model, going to be in the next F+E video on the channel soon.
I noticed in the 3d model there is an access hatch to the reactor on top, but in real life I believe it was to be surrounded with meters of lead

Great to see this 3d model, going to be in the next F+E video on the channel soon.
I noticed in the 3d model there is an access hatch to the reactor on top, but in real life I believe it was to be surrounded with meters of lead
I assumed that the reactor could be installed as in a nuclear icebreaker. The reactor is loaded through a hatch from above.

4.jpg f_d3d3Lm9hb29zay5ydS91cGxvYWQvcmVzaXplX2NhY2hlL2libG9jay84MTMvMTAyNF82NjdfMi9pbWdfNjQwMnMuanB...jpeg f_d3d3Lm9hb29zay5ydS91cGxvYWQvcmVzaXplX2NhY2hlL2libG9jay82YjkvMTAyNF82NjdfMi9pbWdfNjM4MnMuanB...jpeg C1201.29.jpg

There's no reason the shielding can't be arranged such that a hatch can be opened, the shielding removed, then the reactor removed, or vice versa for installation.

I think it was not meant to be fully VTOL, but STOL, only to reduce the take off run (and landing).

How would you get pilots/crew in and out of the parasitic aircraft in flight? Would you expect them to remain in their seats for the whole shift?

How would you get pilots/crew in and out of the parasitic aircraft in flight? Would you expect them to remain in their seats for the whole shift?

41 days gonna be quite a long time, in a cockpit... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

P.S the whole concept truly pushed the boundaries of insanity.

The "pod" was also meant to cover The cockpits of the fighters, allowing access/exit in flight.

Seems like it would be very easy to shoot down. (Of course it would be big enough it could have a lot of DEW CIWS onboard so maybe not.)

The proverbial elephant in the room, except it would be a blue whale.

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of its crash: it would make one huge, smoldering nuclear hole in the ground.

Back
Top Bottom