• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Little-known American Helicopter Prototypes & Projects

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From Aviation magazine 1968,

what was this Garrett AiReseach helicopter ?.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
From Aviation magazine 1963,

here is a Skyskootor autogiro,designed by Saalfeld Aircraft Co.

Attachments

Stingray

Resident retro rainbow rotorhead nerdy girl, uwu
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
A recent bundle of magazines included a number of 1946 and 1947 issues of American Helicopter magazine. The December 1946 issues had a "Helicopter Panorama of 1946" spread and the following designs were presented. I've included a couple that were actually from Canada for completeness.

As my dear Mark found this drawing to a Haig helicopter Project,also the same designer created a helicopter,
actually built and called HK-1.

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/haig_hk-1.php

I compiled a bit of history behind Haig-K and the HK-1 here, but the possibility of a connection between the concept drawing and Haig-K's work is an interesting puzzle, as the caption reads that it was being developed in California, but Haig Kurkjian was in Philadelphia at the time. Is the name "Haig" just coincidental?

EDIT: Okay I’m dumb and didn’t read the additional attachment. They are different companies.

Last edited:

Stingray

Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Alright I've been doing more digging and in several 1940s-era printed sources (Google Books results, too many to list and the info is fragmented) Chester R. Haig, Jr's company is mentioned to having been developing the three-seat Haig Model R-2, and that they planned on developing the four-seat Model R-3 after they moved operations to the Oakland Municipal Airport in 1946 (I think this is what is depicted in the concept drawing). Henry S. Tremper, one of the Coast Guard's first helicopter pilots, consulted as a test pilot for the company.

This snippet from Flying Magazine, November 1946, is the most intact paragraph I can find, but the chronology doesn't seem to match what is described in the other sources:

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
My dear Stingray,

that means there was two designers called Haig.

Stingray

Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Yes. The Haig Helicopter Company was formed by Chester R. Haig, Jr. sometime in the 1940s. The Haig-K Aircraft Corporation, which developed the HK-1, was formed by Haig Kurkjian in 1952.

hesham

Reaction score
You are right my dear Stingray,

and maybe there was R-1 also ?.

documents.mx_rotary-wing-aircraft-handbooks-and-history-volume-14-the-rotary-wing-industry

Attachments

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
I posted a picture of a Grumman proposal that was in the collection a while back. Well joy of joys, I just added a minty in the box Grumman Design 376 AAFSS with the original stand that will help with the lineage. Seems Kaman was involved as well. Enjoy!
Any indication of scale?

walter

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
A somewhat better picture of the Bachwansky co-axial helicopter.
Some info:
single-seat helicopter
one ….hp Evinrude (liquid cooled) outboard piston engine
main rotor diameter 16ft
DETAILS: The SNB 3-75 small co-axial rotor homebuilt helicopter was designed and built by Mr. Stan Bachwansky and mainly intended to obtain date for the projected larger Turbodyne 740 (not built). The SNB 3-75 was built in prototype form only and was completed in 1969, but destroyed in a fire and almost certainly was never test flown. (Possibly ground tests were performed only). The aircraft was powered by one (modified) Evinrude liquid cooled outboard engine.
Production: 1
Stan Bachwansky, Arcadia, CA EAA # 19314

Attachments

Apophenia

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Mr. Samuel A. Ursham designed a little helicopter,called UR-1 Air-Chair in 1957.
Not Ursham but Urshan after its builder Sam Urshan of San Diego, CA (who was a PR guy for Rohr Aircraft Corporation).

Also not a helicopter but a rotor kite or (rotary-wing glider).

The UR-1 Air Chair (N20K) was originally designed as a tip-jet helicopter (with a fuel tank mounted above the rotor rub to feed out to the tips by gravity and then centrifugal force). The inspiration came from Urshan's WW2 and Korean War bomber experiences. [1] He wanted portable, one-man helicopters which could act as onboard rescue devices in the event of a crash landing by US bombers.

Lack of suitable pulsejet engines turned Urshan's UR-1 from a tip-jet helicopter into a towable gyrocopter glider. The UR-1 itself was constructed out of surplus parts. In 1957, Sam Urshan was said to be working on a small, piston-engined helicopter similar to his UR-1. Does anyone know if there was ever a 'UR-2'?

BTW: Samuel A. Urshan was also an author - eg: Homebuilt Helicopter Booklet (1956); Homebuilt Helicopter Directory (1957); Homebuilt Designer-Builder Handbook (c.1958); Homebuilt Airplane Directory (1958); Aerobatic Handbook and Fiberglass Handbooklet both of 1962; etc..

Source: Chula Vista Star-News, Chula Vista, CA, 14 March 1957, page 16

[1] Captain Urshan had flown on 29 bombing missions in WW2 and a further 45 missions over Korea.