Lightweight Fighter - unknown design - FDL-34A

Edited; I think I spoke to soon as I didn't increase the size of the image and thought it was the lwf from his book. Isn't that the Boeing submission for the LWF (F-16) program. It looks very similar, but I'm not feeling well. There are pictures on here of it. Maybe it was a further development?

Perhaps, it was created under program ADF? One more conceptual decision - the concept 908 fof Boeing.

Sundog said:
Edited; I think I spoke to soon as I didn't increase the size of the image and thought it was the lwf from his book. Isn't that the Boeing submission for the LWF (F-16) program. It looks very similar, but I'm not feeling well. There are pictures on here of it. Maybe it was a further development?

Actually, the Boeing 908 would have been a much larger aircraft than this concept, although the 908 was indeed somewhat smaller than the eventual YF-16. If you might notice, the nose gear is actually under, or ahead, of the cockpit instead of being stowed away in the inlet. This is a very small airframe, which stands to reason, as it is designed around the J101, not the much larger F100 turbofan.

As far as it being a Dan Raymer design, he apparently worked for Rockwell from 1976 onward, so I really don't know who he was working for during the period in which this concept might have been drawn?

The F-16 did not originate in the Dan Raymer design or in the Boeing 908-909 designs. It was a result of the Vought V-1100/V-1600 designs. All these aircraft have similarities because they answered the same specification, which is the Air Force's LWF (lightweight fighter).

Can anyone identify this little chap...smaller than a Gnat?
Happily surprised when I stumbled across this...

Attachments

• WillieMasonFile.jpg
    WillieMasonFile.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 464
It looks to be provided by Nathan Kirshenbaum like the other drawings in the presentation probably from his book, if its his drawing its probably a Grumman study (he spent 34 years there).