Lightweight Fighter - unknown design - FDL-34A

TinWing

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Source:

http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/SD1L9vgs.pdf

This must be a USAF Flight Dynamics Laboratory concept judging by the designation?

According to the caption:

".....smallest fighter to be configured around the GE J-101 engine (ultimately to emerge as the F404)...."

That should date the concept somewhere around the mid-70s.

Does anyone have any more information to offer?

Attachments

• FDL-34A_600pixels.gif
    FDL-34A_600pixels.gif
    84.6 KB · Views: 925

Sundog

Reaction score
Edited; I think I spoke to soon as I didn't increase the size of the image and thought it was the lwf from his book. Isn't that the Boeing submission for the LWF (F-16) program. It looks very similar, but I'm not feeling well. There are pictures on here of it. Maybe it was a further development?

JazzTime

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Perhaps, it was created under program ADF? One more conceptual decision - the concept 908 fof Boeing.

TinWing

Reaction score
Sundog said:
Edited; I think I spoke to soon as I didn't increase the size of the image and thought it was the lwf from his book. Isn't that the Boeing submission for the LWF (F-16) program. It looks very similar, but I'm not feeling well. There are pictures on here of it. Maybe it was a further development?

Actually, the Boeing 908 would have been a much larger aircraft than this concept, although the 908 was indeed somewhat smaller than the eventual YF-16. If you might notice, the nose gear is actually under, or ahead, of the cockpit instead of being stowed away in the inlet. This is a very small airframe, which stands to reason, as it is designed around the J101, not the much larger F100 turbofan.

As far as it being a Dan Raymer design, he apparently worked for Rockwell from 1976 onward, so I really don't know who he was working for during the period in which this concept might have been drawn?

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The F-16 did not originate in the Dan Raymer design or in the Boeing 908-909 designs. It was a result of the Vought V-1100/V-1600 designs. All these aircraft have similarities because they answered the same specification, which is the Air Force's LWF (lightweight fighter).

hosscara

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this little chap...smaller than a Gnat?
Happily surprised when I stumbled across this...

Attachments

• WillieMasonFile.jpg
    WillieMasonFile.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 420

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks to be provided by Nathan Kirshenbaum like the other drawings in the presentation probably from his book, if its his drawing its probably a Grumman study (he spent 34 years there).