My first thought when I read this thread is those UAPs being seen off the coasts. Pretty sure they are of human origins, but more of dirigible-like spheres propelled by ionic propulsion. None of the sightings go for more than a few hours, and because they are do difficult to track, you would never know their endurance. Many of them are a mere 4' in diameter, which makes me think they may not even be anything more than a hobbyist.

If you have accelerometers and near 360 degree fields of propulsion in a lighter than air sphere, you should be able to push 150+ kph in a straight line, and effortlessly adjust to wind effects, using off the shelf science. Imagine if you were using military grade technology, you could make the outer skin out of translucent, bi-directional solar collectors. That would give you significant voltage boosts for propulsion. Throw in cellphone-level cameras around the exterior, and now you have a spy probe worthy of DARPA.

It's amazing that some people will still invest money in such harebrained schemes, after the zillion failures.
Talk about "more money than smarts."..

Just for fun on Friday, I'll drop this here now,

History is positively littered with examples of world-changing innovations being dismissed by the sharpest, most-credentialed observers as pointless, dangerous, funny, or all three, before those same innovations went on to prove their critics wrong. (George Gershwin wrote a great song about it. https://genius.com/George-gershwin-they-all-laughed-lyrics)

Rail travel (1825): “The gross exaggerations of the powers of the locomotive steam-engine…may delude for a time, but must end in the mortification of those concerned.”
—Quarterly Review

The telephone (1878): “The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys.”
—William Henry Preece, Chief Engineer of the British Post Office

Light bulbs (1879): “Everyone acquainted with the subject will recognize [Thomas Edison’s experiments] as a conspicuous failure, trumpeted as a wonderful success.”
—Henry Morton, President of the Stevens Institute of Technology

AC electricity (1889): “Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever.”
—Thomas Edison

The automobile (1899): “The ordinary horseless carriage is, at present, a luxury for the wealthy; and although its price will probably fall in the future, it will never, of course, come into as common use as the bicycle.”
—Literary Digest

Planes (1911): “Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.”
—Marshal Ferdinand Foch, Supreme Commander of the Allied Armies in World War I, 1918–20

How "Hybrid" were Flying Whales' craft meant to be? They don't immediately look as if they're designed as an aerostat. Just a modern take on the nonrigid/semi-rigid airship (not that such an approach doesn't have its merits, I'm sure).

Well, at least there's still HAV and Lockheed... Maybe...

Last edited: