• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Liberty air defense system.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
This was an air defense system based on the M1 chassis. ISTR it had two 25mm guns and ADATS missiles but I can't find anything on it.

Attachments

sferrin

Reaction score
Found a few more pictures in an old magazine. This was proposed as part of the Line Of Site Forward Heavy program from the mid 80s. Liberty was based on the Shahine/Crotale firing unit mounted on an Abrams chassis with 12 rounds loaded and had two 25mm guns. Thomson CSF and LTV was the team proposing it.

IIRC xxxxxx (an OTO 76mm Super Rapid mounted on a Leopard I chassis) was also in the mix.

Attachments

smurf

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
IIRC Trinity (an OTO 76mm Super Rapid mounted on a Leopard I chassis) was also in the mix.
Wasn't Trinity an advanced Bofors 40mm?

sferrin

Reaction score
smurf said:
IIRC Trinity (an OTO 76mm Super Rapid mounted on a Leopard I chassis) was also in the mix.
Wasn't Trinity an advanced Bofors 40mm?
Yeah, I'm going to have to go hunt down the name again. Wouldn't be the first time more than one project had the same name but I'll check it out.

sferrin

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the same program or a different interation of the same concept but it appears it at least got to hardware and was called "OTOMATIC".

Attachments

Rosdivan

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
sferrin said:
This was an air defense system based on the M1 chassis. ISTR it had two 25mm guns and ADATS missiles but I can't find anything on it.
I have a PDF on my computer describing it but I can't remember where I initially got it. Here's a text version of the article though. Pair of 35mm Bushmaster III instead of 25mm though. I'll upload the images in the article that aren't in that version later today.

sferrin

Reaction score
You sure on the 35mm? The guns on the model look too small to be 35mm. Tiny compared to the 35mm on a Gepard anyway. ???

Rosdivan

Reaction score
sferrin said:
You sure on the 35mm? The guns on the model look too small to be 35mm. Tiny compared to the 35mm on a Gepard anyway. ???
Actually, looking at the article again, it looks like its a different M1 SPAAG proposal. My bad.

kaiserbill

Reaction score
sferrin said:
Not sure if this is the same program or a different interation of the same concept but it appears it at least got to hardware and was called "OTOMATIC".
That's the Oto-Melara 76mm Project from the early 1980's. Used the ordinance from the Italian naval gun of the same calibre. It never found a client. Interesting concept to try and take the hitting power out to beyond helicopter ATGM range.

The Rooikat uses a 76mm derived from the same naval gun, but not in automatic.

JAZZ

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Another gun-missile combination proposed for the americans was the rapier-25mm turret on a Bradley IFV - from an article which also covered the liberty - Thomson CSF and LTV proposal.

There was another 25mm-Roland combination called paladin

Attachments

Apophenia

Reaction score
A few details on the FAADS Liberty.

Liberty (White Sands firing trials): AMX-30 hull mounting 6 x Shahine missiles; surveillance radar, a multisensor fire control suite with a tracking radar, FLIR, TV, and integrated IFF.

Liberty I: M1A1 mounting either 6 x Shahine or 12 x VT-1 Liberty missiles and 2 x .50 cal mgs. Called FAADS-M1 by GDLS.

If selected, Liberty I would be the first batch. Liberty II would follow 18 months later.

Liberty II: M1A1 mounting 12 x Liberty missiles and 2 x 25mm Bushmaster. Missiles, TSR 2630 radar antenna, and other systems would be under armour. Mach 3.5 peak velocity and 10 km range for missiles. Crew of two, 27.2 tonnes.

Bradley and M113 Liberty mounts are also mentioned on the JED site.

Other LOS-Forward-Heavy competitors were Martin Marietta/Oerlikon Aerospace with ADATS, (and as JAZZ said) Hughes/Euromissile with Paladin (a Roland development), and UADS (UT/BAe/FMC) with the Advanced Rapier. ADATS won the contest (becoming MIM-146A) but was, of course, cancelled in 1992.

ADATS was to be M113A2-mounted with "Bradley ADATS" to follow. Advanced Rapier was to be similar. "Tracked Rapier" (M113-mount, I think) followed by "Bradley Rapier".

[Mod: The test Paladin mount (with Roland 2s) was to be the M109 hull. Production version would have been Roland 2 or 3 on a Bradley hull. -- JDW Vol7 Issue 24 (21 June 1987)]

JAZZ

Reaction score
Excellant information..thanks

amsci99

Reaction score
Strange that the West never fielded a tracked air defence system less the Gepard when the Soviet Bloc had the ZSU-24 and later the 2S16 Tunguska. I suppose Hawk AA batteries and Stinger MANPADS were the way to go and were latter replaced by the Patriot Weapon System.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
What about the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System (VADS) or it's Israeli Machbet derivative?

On the missile only front you also have the AM-30 Roland derivative:

Regards,

Greg

Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
amsci99 said:
Strange that the West never fielded a tracked air defence system less the Gepard when the Soviet Bloc had the ZSU-24 and later the 2S16 Tunguska.
There was the ill-fated US Roland programme in the late 1970s in which the European SAM system was extensively redesigned at subsystem/module level to conform to US engineering practice. The entire project was steadily given the budgetary 'death of a thousand cuts' until only a handful of units were built and issued only the National Guard.

gollevainen

Reaction score
Is there any images of the cancelled Mauler SAM system, the one that led soviets to developt the OSA (SA-8 Gecko)??

enrr

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
sferrin said:
The OTOMATIC it's re-born as Multifunctional Weapons System on turret for Centauro, Dardo or equivalent. The MWS can fire the new guided ammo DART of naval Davide/Strales system
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/aw/dti0908/index.php?startid=20

other picture of the old OTOMATIC

Kadija_Man

Reaction score
gollevainen said:
Is there any images of the cancelled Mauler SAM system, the one that led soviets to developt the OSA (SA-8 Gecko)??
Yes.

That image appears a bit distorted to me. The next one is better and clearer:

Lampshade111

Reaction score
Can anybody enlighten me on the relationship of the VT-1 Liberty missile to the Crotale NG system?

Were the twin 25mm autocannons on the definite Libery FAADS hooked up to the radar fire control system? Or where they just intended to be used against helicopters and ground targets?

Apophenia

Reaction score
Most sources imply that Liberty and the Crotale NG launch unit are the same thing, both firing the VT-1 hypervelocity missiles developed with LTV for FAADS.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Mercurius Cantabrigiensis said:
amsci99 said:
Strange that the West never fielded a tracked air defence system less the Gepard when the Soviet Bloc had the ZSU-24 and later the 2S16 Tunguska.
There was the ill-fated US Roland programme in the late 1970s in which the European SAM system was extensively redesigned at subsystem/module level to conform to US engineering practice. The entire project was steadily given the budgetary 'death of a thousand cuts' until only a handful of units were built and issued only the National Guard.

1. Army Programs

a. ROLAND Air Defense Missile System

In 1974 the US selected the French-German designed ROLAND II
air defense missile system instead of developing a new US short range
air defense system. Hughes Aircraft Corporation won the bid for
technology transfer, fabrication and test of the US ROLAND. The
three countries have established a joint control committee to insure
a maximum level of standardization between the European and American
configurations, and Norway plans to purchase the US version. ROLAND
entered into production in Europe in 1977, and a US production decision
will be made in 1978. Unanticipated difficulties in the exchange and
translation of detailed technical information, resulting in some US
timetable delays and cost increases, have now been resolved with data
transfer essentially complete.
The restructured program approved by OSD in December 1976
with total RDTE expenditure is planned at $276 million.
b. Short-Range Air Defense

1) ROLAND

ROLAND will replace the fair-weather/daylight
CHAPARRAL system in the Corps and rear areas and is required to
counter the increasing night/adverse weather air threat. The
ROLAND RDT&E program consists of a technology transfer and fabrication
effort from Europe (French/German). The program is a
significant U.S. effort to adopt a foreign-developed major weapon
system to U.S. fabrication and will, therefore, have a major impact
on the future success of weapon system cooperation and standardization
with our NATO Allies. The restructured technology transfer,
fabrication and test (TTF&T) program was approved in December 1976
and is proceeding on schedule to a planned production decision in
September 1978. The first two U.S.-produced missiles were successfully
fired from French-built fire units in December 1977. During the
FY 1978 Appropriation Hearings, the Congress directed that $11.4
million in procurement effort be transferred to the RDT&E program
with appropriate adjustments in funds. Total development cost is now
estimated at $276.4 million (previous $265 million plus $11.4 million).
The FY 1979 RDT&E request is $22.7 million, and the procurement
request Is $200.1 million.

THE FY 1979 DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE PROGRAM FOR RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT, AND ACQUISITION

PMN1

Reaction score
Kadija_Man said:
gollevainen said:
Yes.

That image appears a bit distorted to me. The next one is better and clearer:

What were the dimensions of the Mauler system when closed down for travel?