Leduc 010, 021, 022

I believe that many of the posts in this topic ought to be moved and merged with the following topic:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7503.0

Hi!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCPYsUGRnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOJbmC6-04

Attachments

• Leduc 021.gif
    Leduc 021.gif
    81 KB · Views: 159
  • c87c6389.jpg
    c87c6389.jpg
    519.1 KB · Views: 180
  • leduc_022_08.jpg
    leduc_022_08.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 184
Hi! Walk around of 010 and 022,
http://igor113.livejournal.com/215129.html

Attachments

• 878373_original.jpg
    878373_original.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 8003139_original.jpg
    8003139_original.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 147
Hi! Leduc 022 interceptor prototype and 050 bomber projects.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Thanks! I wanted to say that interceptor prototype version is 022.
022 length is 18.2m.
040 length is 15m.

Last edited:
The commentary of the video is quite Vieille France completly white washing all the failures and huge sums divested by the Frenchs in that project that had early on no raison d'être.

Notice that I was an early reader of the related Docavia (the best source in french language that I am aware of).

Last edited:
The commentary of the video is quite Vieille France completly white washing all the failures and huge sums divested by the Frenchs in that project that had early on no raison d'être.
But let's be honest it gave us 40 years lead in understandingwhat would be EU subsidized aerospace R&D.

Notice that I was an early reader of the related Docavia (the best source in french language that I am aware of).

Are you serious ? Back in 1949 it made sense... nobody really knew which engine would prevail: ramjet or turbojet or rocket. All other major aerospace powers explored similar alternatives. The 50's are a litany of audacious, awesome flying machines that never got a chance, not because they were bad, but because they were overtaken by the lightning pace of tech development.

Leduc started strongly with the 010 and 021 but at the 022 level he was overtaken by the Nord Griffon, for sure. But he was never a whacky inventor wasting money for nothing - a fraud.

Incidentally, everything but the Mirage III died by 1958 (Trident, Leduc, Griffon, Durandal, Vautour, SMB-2, Etendard IV non-naval variant)

Please save us the blatant cynicism at times... that's tiring, really. Not exactly funny.

Last edited:
Hi!

Attachments

• Leduc 022 and 040.jpg
    Leduc 022 and 040.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 162
From TU 189.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.png
    2.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.png
    3.png
    158.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 4.png
    4.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 5.png
    5.png
    186.7 KB · Views: 113
Find from a vintage book

Attachments

• 4067CF1D-82DD-42AC-BECF-ADD40AB37B85.jpeg
    4067CF1D-82DD-42AC-BECF-ADD40AB37B85.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 69
Trident too

And many more. In 1958 France had its own Sandys / Diefenbaker big cancellation moment.
Long story short
a) De Gaulle returned to power
b) Made the Force de Frappe nuclear deterrent an absolute priority against conventional weapons
c) Mirage IV first, then solid-fuel ballistic missiles: something akin to Polaris or Minuteman
d) Mirage III becomes a multirole type, 473 procured over the next 15 years.

End result: Mirage III was used to kill a very large number of advanced aircraft.

-The last SMB-2s: cancelled (production capped to 180)
-The last Vautours: cancelled (production capped to 140, zero upgrade for the fleet over the next two decades)
-SO-4060 heavy multirole fighter: cancelled
-Trident: cancelled
-Griffon II developments: cancelled
-Leduc 022: cancelled
-Etendard IV low and medium altitude fighter (AdA - not Aéronavale, not NATO): cancelled.
-Any Mirage IV not a nuclear bomber: cancelled (related to SO-4060)

-SMB-2 and Etendard IV were to be low altitude, transonic day fighters.
-Vautour was subsonic light bomber
-Mirage IV and SO-4060 were supersonic, multirole heavy fighters / light bombers.
-Trident, Griffon, Leduc were high altitude high speed interceptors above 60 000 ft and Mach 2

Mirage III swept all this, taking all their roles.

Last edited:
As for the peculiar case of the Leduc 022: could never get supersonic, as the aerodynamics were all wrong (although they were spectacular !).

Just compare it with Griffon II. One was area-ruled, sleek delta. The other looked like a big, cylindrical syringe.

Leduc started as early as 1939 and restarted in 1946. Nord Aviation with the Griffon I started in the first half of the 1950's and failed; but then the Griffon II was a tremendous success. The turboramjet accelerated the plane like crazy, and only duralumin thermal limits capped top speed to Mach 2.19.

Nord Aviation was a public company with plenty different aircraft programs and in production, so massive amounts of money.

When Leduc was more akin to a craftsman with limited resources- even if a visionary one.

It is a rather cruel story.

Last edited:
I see that most of the drawings published here, particularly the ones from Justo Miranda, come from my book about Leduc (Docavia) but never referenced. :(

Attachments

• Couverture.JPG
    Couverture.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
As a reminder, in the light of current events (though those posts are about 14 years old, but the
book still was available, when they were posted ):

Please, ALWAYS state your sources, and if you want to post more stuff from publications,

please get permission from the author or publisher !

Last edited:
I see that most of the drawings published here, particularly the ones from Justo Miranda, come from my book about Leduc (Docavia) but never referenced. :(
and much congratulations for your wonderful books