KAI KF-21 Boramae (KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter program)

article.jpg

Long Range A2G Cruise Missile Prototype ejection test from 0:15.

Last edited:
Does it guided ? the F-4 seems to carry datalink pod, and from its shape.. seems similar to the one used by Popeye/Have Nap missile.

Does it guided ? the F-4 seems to carry datalink pod, and from its shape.. seems similar to the one used by Popeye/Have Nap missile.
It seems there is no image detector in this prototype. I think it is INS guided using the datalink pod you said.

summary:

South Korea's defense industries has been experiencing sophisticated hacks, thats highly suspected to be coming from North Korea.
Giving the timing of certain things, there's concern that North Korea may have stolen the drawings for the KF-21

and another link

does this mean Kim is gonna have his knock off soon? just like their recent tank knock offs?
View attachment 659917
If I remember correctly, there were some report / news / allegation that North Korea managed to hack some institution / company involving Hyunmoo-2...

Look at KN-23. /s
20190802000509_0.jpg
unlikely.

NK only have assembly capability from CKD... thats what they did with MiG-29's.

Probably to China.
The thing is we don't know what exactly DPRK is capable of.

In 1970s they contemplated producing own equivalent to IL-10 with one prototype made which in present day would be a COIN role aircraft while in 1980s they modified airframe of Mig-15UTI to have dorsal hunchback like Mig-21SMT along being able to utilize fuel tank pods and it is known that they can produce RD-9 turbojet engine that powers Mig-19 / J-6 and Q-5/A-5 Fantan which likely happened in late 1970s or early 1980s when China built for North Korea facility to maintain Chinese J-6.

Also several IL-28s modified to be launching platforms for Kh-35 clone with newer variant being closer to Kh-35U thus might seek and destroy 400km away when air launched.
E_HwkKyWUAIqkJH.jpg

They recently tested a land attack cruise missile that demonstrated 1500 kilometer range while maneuvering that is longer range than Iranian land attack cruise missiles have clones of Ukranian/Russian turbofan engines MS-400/R95TP-300 and comparable to Chinese CJ-10 that might have TRDD-50 equivalent turbofan.
E_H7l4JWUAA6upf.jpg

Incidentally Kh-35 missiles North Korea bought in 2005 from Russia are powered by R95TP-300...

Last edited:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceytSLB31sI

it seems that KAI and Hyundai signed an MOU for cooperation.
KAI is proposing a Navalized KF-21, which in turn, Hyundai is considering the STOBAR version of their carrier proposal

if this succeeds.. I really hope that the Indian Navy considers this instead of TEDBF. KF-21 more likely to be built in greater numbers, in service faster,
uses the same engine as the Tejas Mk.2, and has the potential to use an internal weapons bay. TEDBF on the other hand, probably built in smaller numbers, stealthy shaped but too narrow for a bay.. all that money could be freed up to invest in AMCA and Tejas.

Indonesia is staying.
talk about timing! was about to post the same thing but from

KAI is proposing a Navalized KF-21, which in turn, Hyundai is considering the STOBAR version of their carrier proposal

if this succeeds.. I really hope that the Indian Navy considers this instead of TEDBF. KF-21 more likely to be built in greater numbers, in service faster,
uses the same engine as the Tejas Mk.2, and has the potential to use an internal weapons bay. TEDBF on the other hand, probably built in smaller numbers, stealthy shaped but too narrow for a bay.. all that money could be freed up to invest in AMCA and Tejas.
They can go for both! This way, India can get in a row 3 different producers to produce their first carrier fighter ever.
The latter two being new to fighter design in the first place.
Sounds like a recipe for success.

p.s. sarcasm aside, KF-21 ideologically may be a very reasonable basis for a STOBAR/CATOBAR aircraft.

They can go for both! This way, India can get in a row 3 different producers to produce their first carrier fighter ever.
The latter two being new to fighter design in the first place.
Sounds like a recipe for success
p.s. sarcasm aside, KF-21 ideologically may be a very reasonable basis for a STOBAR/CATOBAR aircraft.

I certainly do hope that South Korea develop a carrier based STOBAR/CATOBAR variant of the KF-21.

737-500 testbed says Darren Olivier. Probably 737-55S ZS-TFJ. Last seen at Pretoria.

Last edited:
^ you know if theres any word which proposal is leading? Hyundai or Daewoo?

Btw there's a separate thread regarding the Korean CV program under military section just under this aviation and space section. Also, there's realistically no chance of the new CV employing KF-21N or whatever it's called.

Well, the simulation for Su-57 by taking account of its radar blocker are done. The result so far looks cool. This one here shows X-band (8 GHz) With IRST rotated backward for "maximum stealth". The inlet wall are treated along with the radar blocker.

This shows the "weaknesses" of attempting to generalize the RCS value either by Median average or just average. Which not to say the value from there is not useful (One may need to run additional statistical analysis. e.g Kolmogorov-Smirnoff test to see the distribution of the RCS value whether it is normal or not) But without proper visualization e.g 3D or maybe plot, one can miss one or more strong lobes within the aircraft which warrant supression.

As for the problem of the simulation is that it's remain very speculative as i have no real idea about the material or whether the blocker design i use is really what it used in Su-57. It may have similar front looks but the angles and how long the absorbing section is remains unknown to me.

hmm anyway what do you guys think ?
very interesting and good work!
have you done something similar with the KF-21 as well?
I am curious how the frontal RCS of the Su-57 that uses a radar blocker compares with that of the KF-21 that has an S-duct..but still uses some semi-recessed missiles
(this was originally posted in the SU-57 thread but some one got upset so I moved it here)

very interesting and good work!
have you done something similar with the KF-21 as well?
I am curious how the frontal RCS of the Su-57 that uses a radar blocker compares with that of the KF-21 that has an S-duct..but still uses some semi-recessed missiles
(this was originally posted in the SU-57 thread but some one got upset so I moved it here)

Thanks and sure.. but that if I can find a new Graphics card.

My 1050Ti died today and I haven't been able to find replacement.. as they are very expensive and my effort to attempt to fund acquisition of new Graphics card has not yield anything yet. Jobs are hard and even harder to find in Indonesia... all those RCS sims are my distraction from this country where I live.

I wonder why blur those things... did they put anything sensitive in say wheel well ?

(I know its completely silly, but each time I read the thread title, I'm reminded of Fist of the north star, Hokuto-no-Ken-shiro punchline "Omae wa mu, shindeiru" "you don't even realize it, but you are already dead"
It also applies very well to stealth aircraft. So if I were a korean pilot, before firing a missile for the kill, I would say "Bora-mae wa mu, shindeiru" "Dear target, you don't know it, but you're already dead".)
And then as the missile hit you see the ennemy pilot yelling "NANI ?" before exploding.

Last edited:
Guys, notice the build quality for what is yet only a prototype.
Reading KAI's and other Korean reports regarding aircraft related technologies, one thing that the Koreans were very much sure that they were on par with the top of the line players from the US and Europe was their manufacturing and automation processes. I'd say no wonder it looks clean.