Italian SLBM ALFA Missile

A Polaris A1 Lite would be a better description; developed 10-12 years after the Polaris 1.

In the linked article it shows a cutaway diagram of the missile and under the payload fairing there appears to be a Mk-1 RV (Which carried the W47 warhead).

Scratching my head... 1600 km from the Adriatic is, indeed, enough to nuke Moscow. But the platform... a cruiser ? standing like a huge target on the surface of the sea ? Try giving that Alfa... SLBM a submarine ! Or an underground silo... SLBM: Ship (not Sub !) Launched Ballistic Missile ? not sure it is a good idea...
Or maybe the goal was just to scare the living bejesus, not of Brezhnev, but of Tito...

Hmmm... well not Moscow: from Trieste, it is 2000 km to the Kremlin...

Then again, Alfa was the size and weight of a Polaris A1 or A2, and they could hit much farther than 1600 km... even the A1 had a 2200 km range. And A2 immediately did better.

Look at the Informations about the Italian project of a nuclear submarine

If this SLBM had gone into service what warhead would it have carried?

Yep - for the USA, any European nuclear deterrent was to be a) NATO and b) dual-key locked. MultiLateral Force: MLF.

An Italian one as Americans were against any independent European nuclear deterrent

IIRC in the early 1960s Robert McNamara tried to sabotage the UK's nuclear weapons capability (That was probably a factor in his bullshit decision to axe the Skybolt).

IIRC? 1962 Treaty for prevention of atmospheric nuclear explosions?

No, not that, I don't recall where I read it years ago and what his motives were but I do recall reading that he wanted to somehow get rid of the UK's nuclear-weapons capability.

In 1962 JFK had a faction inside his government, called "the europeanists". with the two Deans: Dean Rusk and Dean Acheson. Their objective was crystal clear.
The French and British independant nuclear deterrents had to die, to be replaced by NATO, dual-key Polaris european force called the MLF.

The Europeanists hated any independant nuclear deterrents for two reasons.

First, it was seen as too expensive for Great Britain and France, ex superpowers now medium powers fighting decolonization bush wars while recovering from WWII miseries.

Secondly, these small nuclear forces were seens as dangerous,: destabilizing against USSR. If they fired first, against the Soviets, they could blow the planet... and the USA along it.

To sumarize: the USA through NATO wanted full control of any western nuclear forces to be fired in anger at the Soviets. The fact that France and Great Britain could fire nukes at the Soviets independantly was seen as a nightmare.

Of course the three nuclear deterrents - UK, US, France - could be synchronized but that was another nightmare. Even if it was done in the end (give or take, from 1970 to the end of Cold War.)

Last edited:
No, not that, I don't recall where I read it years ago and what his motives were but I do recall reading that he wanted to somehow get rid of the UK's nuclear-weapons capability.
IIRC for what words?

Sorry I did not intended to humiliate you in any way. I'm not that kind of arrogant prick (also known as "grammar nazi").

An interesting photo which gives scale to the Alfa missile:

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• 1-1.JPG
    1-1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 19
There's separate thread for MLF, but PM to an old poster about dead/suspicious links thereon got no response. So...since this one is lively now, will try publicly here. Does someone possibly have picture(s)--other than Italian cruiser Garibaldi--of the surface warships planned to carry NATO nuclear ballistic missiles? Vaguely recall a painting in Life Magazine, but that must have been ~60 yrs. ago! (Yes, was interested even as a child.) Thanks in advance for any help.

There's separate thread for MLF, but PM to an old poster about dead/suspicious links thereon got no response. So...since this one is lively now, will try publicly here. Does someone possibly have picture(s)--other than Italian cruiser Garibaldi--of the surface warships planned to carry NATO nuclear ballistic missiles? Vaguely recall a painting in Life Magazine, but that must have been ~60 yrs. ago! (Yes, was interested even as a child.) Thanks in advance for any help.
These warships were supposed to be Italian or other NATO states?

The MLF was to be pan-european, but you guess that nuclear boomers submarines (even bought off the shelf from the USA) would be way too expensive for the bulk of european navies. So MLF supporters suggested surface ships as a more reasonable option. Of course unlike boomers they would be fat targets for the Soviets... but hey, remember - this is McNamara Secdef Pentagon we are talking about. A bit divorced from logic if not sanity...

Political and diplomatic history of the discussions about MLF; no real precisions on the NATO MLF fleet and its components;

If the MLF surface-ship project had been implemented weren't there a couple of USN battleships that were slated to be converted into a Polaris SLBM launchers?

If the MLF surface-ship project had been implemented weren't there a couple of USN battleships that were slated to be converted into a Polaris SLBM launchers?
Maybe? The Long Beach was designed with space for either Regulus or Polaris, never used that way.

I've seen fan drawings for the Iowas to have Polaris installed, but those tubes would basically have to be inside the gun barbettes to have enough vertical space.

There's a number of BBG proposals, either of the unfinished Kentucky (BB-66) or conversion of the four completed Iowa-class, that would've shipped Polaris or Regulus or Jupiter. The partial conversions (which still kept some 16"/50 guns) would've placed them on elevated superstructures it seems, the better to reduce the need for cutting into the decks.

Low res versions were posted by another poster in the Iowa & Alaska conversion thread.

I've seen fan drawings for the Iowas to have Polaris installed, but those tubes would basically have to be inside the gun barbettes to have enough vertical space.

Yeah, the 16" gun-turrets would've had to be removed.

There's a number of BBG proposals, either of the unfinished Kentucky (BB-66)

The incomplete Kentucky would've been the best of the Iowas for conversion with I suppose perhaps one of the forward 16" turrets retained (Maybe both) and the aft 16" barbet removed and replaced with the Polaris launch-tubes (And associated support structure and systems)

conversion of the four completed Iowa-class, that would've shipped Polaris or Regulus or Jupiter.

The likely conversion of the Iowas would've likely entailed removal of the aft 16" gun-turret and its' barbet along with the powder and shell magazines before being rebuilt to hold the Polaris launch-tubes. such a modification would've been very expensive in both time and money.