Purely for entertainment.
Ireland's last fast jet (as used in "On Her Majestys Secret Service' as a Swiss Mirage)
And two aircraft mentioned as possible replacements

Attachments

• 554bfc6c999f64a63a870b42e0ba3b67.jpg
    554bfc6c999f64a63a870b42e0ba3b67.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 32dce300761530e249dda06c2ebc78ed.jpg
    32dce300761530e249dda06c2ebc78ed.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 50
  • dfc2df9bdf3386c92126037976d1701e.jpg
    dfc2df9bdf3386c92126037976d1701e.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 47
Of course if we were to talk about supersonic interceptors, then South Korea and the wildcard of Taiwan are possible suppliers.
I don't see China being allowed to tender.
Though a variant of the US-Swedish trainer is the strongest potential option.

Of course if we were to talk about supersonic interceptors, then South Korea and the wildcard of Taiwan are possible suppliers.
I don't see China being allowed to tender.
Though a variant of the US-Swedish trainer is the strongest potential option.

Not supersonic...

I don’t know, ships, Northern Ireland? Space?
Northern Ireland has no long range radar stations.... None since the cold war ended... There used to be 2 Rotor stations- one at killard point (beside what was RAF Bishopscourt- which is now a race track at which I do motorcycle track days) and one at fair head on the north coast. We have only a minimal RAF base at Aldergrove which is the main civilian airport (Belfast International)

Purely for entertainment.
Ireland's last fast jet (as used in "On Her Majestys Secret Service' as a Swiss Mirage)
And two aircraft mentioned as possible replacements

I wouldn't call the Fouga Magister a "fast" jet. :p

Well... What about the Argentinian IA-63 Pampa?

I could carry two 7,62 mm gun pods plus 125 kg freefall bombs

pampa3-750x375@2x.jpg

Last edited:
Well what about the Argentinian IA-63 Pampa

pampa3-750x375@2x.jpg

Are you planning to bomb another plane?

The notional mission is air policing, which is a strictly air-to-air effort. That means any solution needs radar (or maybe a pretty advanced IRST) and air-to-air missiles. Arguably Ireland might actually want to actively omit air-to-ground weapons entirely.

The F-20 would have been nearly ideal, decades ago. Today, Gripen would be almost the only credible option. (C/D models with IRIS-T and Meteor only, to minimize the dependence on US suppliers?)

Last edited:
Bishop Brennan aka "Len": So we have no way of stopping them flying over Ireland.
Father Dougal: Well, Northern Ireland's out but that still leaves Ships and Space.
Father Jack: Gerls with purple hair...

Attachments

• gerry-andersons-ufo-skydiver-die-cast_1_3da54a7a5d03ec0187fe4eed04aea427.jpg
    gerry-andersons-ufo-skydiver-die-cast_1_3da54a7a5d03ec0187fe4eed04aea427.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 22
  • matthew-teevan-interceptors-by-matteline67-dbxtbll-pre.jpg
    matthew-teevan-interceptors-by-matteline67-dbxtbll-pre.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 33
Well what about the Argentinian IA-63 Pampa

pampa3-750x375@2x.jpg

Are you planning to bomb another plane?

The notional mission is air policing, which is a strictly air-to-air effort. That means any solution needs radar (or maybe a pretty advanced IRST) and air-to-air missiles. Arguably Ireland might actually want to actively omit air-to-ground weapons entirely.

The F-20 would have been nearly ideal, decades ago. Today, Gripen would be almost the only credible option. (C/D models with IRIS-T and Meteor only, to minimize the dependence on US suppliers?)
I would say the South Korean T50 Golden Eagle ought to be reasonable.
And Taiwan has the trainer variant of the Ching Kuo and might build more....if you are prepared annoy China.
And as mad as it sounds the Tejas might make it four reasonable options for new aircraft.
Of which only one is the Gripen.

One of the last generation trainers - M-346 or T-50 - would get my vote. It can complement or even replace the PC-9M. Anything larger or faster or more sophisticated will bust any budget. 1 billion is a paltry, as far as combat aircraft go...

I suppose there is the option of renting Gripen....but are there available aircraft to rent and is it worth the ongoing cost?

I suppose there is the option of renting Gripen....but are there available aircraft to rent and is it worth the ongoing cost?
Gripen would reinforce the non-aligned status. I think Sweden has been pretty flexible in 'loaners', and would probably allow them to buy another sqn of the newer Gripen.

And they could operate them off the M50.......

Gripen would reinforce the non-aligned status. I think Sweden has been pretty flexible in 'loaners', and would probably allow them to buy another sqn of the newer Gripen.

And they could operate them off the M50.......
Good luck with that.....

Attachments

• 48F85131-A647-4BA6-9D6B-E1DF747BD3E2.jpeg
    48F85131-A647-4BA6-9D6B-E1DF747BD3E2.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 68

I'd say radar missiles (AMRAAM, Meteor, etc.) are desirable. Not so much for range as warhead size. Remember, the potential targets here include multi-engine bombers and, sadly, hijacked airliners.

The Czech Republic and Hungary both leased a single squadron of 14 Gripen for 10 years at a bit less than 1 billion Euro each. That's minus actual running costs and armament, however.

I attended RIAT last month and saw their Swallows Display Team made up of Pilatus PC-9 with instructors from the Central Flying School. Also on static there was one of the new Piltus PC-12 Spectres.

So here are my photos below :

Herr are my two euros :) of thoguht , since the retirement of the Magister- kinda makes sense (as with the Kiwis and their T-6 Texans) to keep up basic skill sets of formation flying, aerobatics, air to ground rocketery et al because you never know when you will need it again.

Cheers

Attachments

• 6CC60764-D248-4EFC-906A-2C4A8C878EA1.jpeg
    6CC60764-D248-4EFC-906A-2C4A8C878EA1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
  • 24065384-27E7-4BD4-9024-EA92728A223A.jpeg
    24065384-27E7-4BD4-9024-EA92728A223A.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 9F8849A3-7B90-4D43-80FE-AD80B48534EE.jpeg
    9F8849A3-7B90-4D43-80FE-AD80B48534EE.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 4F72E78B-E9BF-48C4-9265-8930386E9631.jpeg
    4F72E78B-E9BF-48C4-9265-8930386E9631.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 249971C0-E7AD-4C8E-99E5-E479C5733F1C.jpeg
    249971C0-E7AD-4C8E-99E5-E479C5733F1C.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 16
  • B612532A-9E25-4F7A-87B2-3C3B6BA86A31.jpeg
    B612532A-9E25-4F7A-87B2-3C3B6BA86A31.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 27
I saw the Spectre again last weekend in my other neck of the woods at Airpower Zeltweg in Austria.

cheers

Attachments

• 898224FB-22D9-4EA7-A69D-22A3691244CA.jpeg
    898224FB-22D9-4EA7-A69D-22A3691244CA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 97E12D29-5FA7-44BF-890B-898842031E84.jpeg
    97E12D29-5FA7-44BF-890B-898842031E84.jpeg
    928.5 KB · Views: 17
  • AD549697-661F-4C4B-BB65-8BCB2D154215.jpeg
    AD549697-661F-4C4B-BB65-8BCB2D154215.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 22
On a tangent:
The response online to this latest incursion is instructive.

Ignoring those who said the Nato patrol aircraft should be shot down for being in Irish airspace – needless to say, Ireland is incapable of doing so – two themes emerge.

First “we don’t need to spend money on this as Russia will never attack Ireland” second, “we don’t need to spend money on this as the UK has it covered”. The word ‘freeloading’ features regularly.

To the first group I would say, what do you think Russian submarines are doing in the vicinity of your CUI – making it more resilient?

To the second group, some dependence on allies is fine and to a large degree is the bedrock of our security infrastructure. Overreliance, however, is not, especially as discussed earlier, when those allies are overstretched themselves.

Excerpted from a rather cringeworthy, if not at times outright delusional, article in the Irish edition of today's The Sunday Times (page 10, "We Must Keep a laser focus on the threats to Ireland, warns Martin", byline John Mooney):
Martin is very clear what's required. Ireland he says, will never be a military power but the Defence Forces need to be able to protect the state and by default Europe. Building up this capability will take time, despite the speed at which his officials and the general staff are operating. He points to the decision to procure an advanced primary radar system, capable of monitoring Irish-controlled airspace, its land domain and the maritime environment by 2028.

At the moment, Ireland relies on civilian or secondary radar, which is capable of tracking only aircraft that have switched on their transponders. In recent years, Russian military aircraft have passed through Irish-controlled airspace undetected until they were identified by neighbouring countries' radar systems and Nato.

"The absence of primary radar capability is a significant gap in our national defence. It compromises our ability to maintain full situational awareness over our airspace, which is critical in an era of heightened global tensions," he said.

In future, the military will have a system capable of monitoring its airspace but also its maritime and land domain, as part of three related air defence and radar projects termed the Military Radar Recognised Air Picture Programme.

"It will involve land-based long-range primary radar, ground based air defence systems to counter unmanned aerial systems, and maritime ship-borne radar systems. So it's a very complex programme. The procurement process has already started. We are working with another country on procurement," Martin said.

When operational, the system will enable Ireland not only defend itself but also help also help Europe by alerting neighbouring countries to hostile actors passing off the west coast. The military intends to acquire a sonar system to detect hostile activity such as submarines off the west coast to protect subsea cables and critical infrastructure.

"There's collaboration across the EU and across like-minded states that if they see something suspicious or untoward, they'll alert the relevant member state or country that is involved. Russians come in, they're being observed. They're also testing how far they can go and all of that. There's all these kinds of, dare I say, games going on between different actors. But the French or the British will alert us, and we'll alert the British or the French in given situations," Martin said.

The future military of which Martin speaks of is essentially designed to be interoperable, whereby it can work independently, but also partner with other armies in crisis situations.

"Ireland is not an island on its own. We have to co-operate with other member states. We have to work with them in the context of the European Union but also in the context of expertise. Cybersecurity will not be done by any one country on its own. You have to share expertise, share learnings and so on," he says.
Some context:
As you will have no doubt have guessed, the 'Military Radar Recognised Air Picture Programme' is, at best, a paper project, without even a token budget. The sonar project also mentioned even more so.

Micheál Martin is Ireland's Tánaiste (basically our deputy prime minister) as well as serving as the current Minister of Defence along with being Minister for Foreign Affairs (no prizes for guessing which of the latter two posts he normally pays more attention to). He is also the head of Fianna Fáil, one of the three parties that make up the (increasingly unstable) coalition that serves as our current government, such as it is, and what there is of it. What attention Martin has paid to his Defence portfolio before now can be best summed up in one sentence: He wants to make the Irish military more 'woke'. Actual combat capability doesn't enter into it at all, as he cheerfully admits elsewhere in the article (if I had posted that part, the mods would have likely thought that I was making it up!).

This, what can only be described as a puff piece, comes as there is increasingly speculation that our current Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) will call an early election in November rather than wait until February of next year when the current government's term is due to run out under the legislation presently underpinning the current coalition; It seems that he, much like his infamous immediate predecessor, has made the mistake of beginning to believe his own propaganda. Given past Irish political history, going for an early election may prove to be rather unwise, to the point of making Rishi Sunak look like a genius in comparison. So, as part of this attempt to put clear blue water between himself and his coalition partners before any such election (while at the same time trying to assuage rapidly rising irritation [to put it mildly] on the part of our lords and masters in Brussels over our shameless freeloading re. defence), Martin is trying to sound to strong on defence, while attempting to not put off those liberal voters who hate the defence forces and indeed anything military (or indeed police related) with every fibre of their being. The same type of voters by the way which were very happy with things like Ireland recognising Hamas as the legitimate government of Palestine. It is not genocide after all, if it is Jews that are being driven into the sea (I really wish that I was joking, but that mindset is actually quite prevalent in certain circles).

It is insane, but that is the way things are in the Ireland of 2024, at least so far as our political betters are concerned. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
There would be serious logistical support needed to realise the use of fighters; upgraded facilities at Casement, additional ground crew and mechanical support manpower, an improved training syllabus, probably a new advanced trainer other than the PC-9M.
I suspect what they are talking about is buying some jet trainers to complement the PC-9M (which are only 16 years old - and which better fit the majority of the non-jet fleet). Four M-346 would be just the job I would think. Chasing off a few Bears doesn't require much else.
I'd want more like a dozen, because some will always be getting fixed. A dozen M-346s or FA-50s, and FA-50s for preference because they're solidly supersonic.

And a major ground radar system or three (depending on whether it's 360 view per radar or less). Without getting into over-the-horizon fun.

I'd want more like a dozen, because some will always be getting fixed. A dozen M-346s or FA-50s, and FA-50s for preference because they're solidly supersonic.

And a major ground radar system or three (depending on whether it's 360 view per radar or less). Without getting into over-the-horizon fun.
I don't have a dog in the fight, but if it was me, I'd prefer to invest in biz jet MPA.
Get ELTA to do MPA conversions, the G280's or similar can be found cheap and in good condition. The supply lines are still fresh with plenty of customers. Reasonably affordable.

Importantly, It has an actual peacetime mission including SAR and EEZ enforcement. You can configure it to include air- as well as maritime and ELINT tracking. You can probably hang sidewinders with a minimum of effort, and the biz jet solution is at least semi-capable of getting the required intercept geometry for the peacetime air-policing Ireland is likely to see.

You might get the UK and/or EU to help subsidize a small portion as the UK is able to divest the assignment and the EU receives the benefit of added MPA capabilities in a critical shipping area the rest of the continent relies on.

The trainers would be a "sexier" pick, and definitely more capable as either attack or air defense, but let's be honest: anything heading to the Emerald Isle is realistically headed through UK or French airspace first. If the attacker is capable enough to avoid that scenario, a few F/A-50 air frames aren't going to change the calculus for Ireland too much. The increased air and sea tracking is going to be more helpful to Ireland, the UK and France than a handful of trainers if a real war ever came about. And as a peacetime asset infinitely more useful.

Even if you could only afford three or four, it'd be a better investment than a dozen advanced trainers, imo. The entire thing seems to be an exercise in providing a token effort towards national sovereignty anyway.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but if it was me, I'd prefer to invest in biz jet MPA.
Get ELTA to do MPA conversions, the G280's or similar can be found cheap and in good condition. The supply lines are still fresh with plenty of customers. Reasonably affordable.

Importantly, It has an actual peacetime mission including SAR and EEZ enforcement. You can configure it to include air- as well as maritime and ELINT tracking. You can probably hang sidewinders with a minimum of effort, and the biz jet solution is at least semi-capable of getting the required intercept geometry for the peacetime air-policing Ireland is likely to see.

You might get the UK and/or EU to help subsidize a small portion as the UK is able to divest the assignment and the EU receives the benefit of added MPA capabilities in a critical shipping area the rest of the continent relies on.

The trainers would be a "sexier" pick, and definitely more capable as either attack or air defense, but let's be honest: anything heading to the Emerald Isle is realistically headed through UK or French airspace first. If the attacker is capable enough to avoid that scenario, a few F/A-50 air frames aren't going to change the calculus for Ireland too much. The increased air and sea tracking is going to be more helpful to Ireland, the UK and France than a handful of trainers if a real war ever came about. And as a peacetime asset infinitely more useful.

Even if you could only afford three or four, it'd be a better investment than a dozen advanced trainers, imo. The entire thing seems to be an exercise in providing a token effort towards national sovereignty anyway.
I'm not sure that a M0.9 bizjet is capable of getting the intercept geometry, but point taken about also needing MPA.

I'm not sure that a M0.9 bizjet is capable of getting the intercept geometry, but point taken about also needing MPA.
I would think most "targets" Ireland encounters air policing are wayward airliners and private aircraft either not squawking or squawking the wrong code. While difficult, it should be within reason to close on incoming aircraft with a bizjet in most cases.
Actual air defense would be more difficult, but again, I don't think actual air defense is an urgent need for Ireland. It is not as though the UK is going to ignore a Bear or Backfire because it is headed in a slightly less ominous direction off their coast bearing toward Ireland. This is more of a prestige project to "enforce" sovereignty than an actual need for combat aircraft.
Nor does Ireland have a lot of enemies (the British excepted, historically) within strike distance. Maybe political tides shift just a bit and they can enter some sort of Benelux-style of joint-arrangement with the UK for air and maritime patrol, each contributing some assets within their capabilities.
I wouldn't think the political will, money, and investment will suddenly sprout for an F-16 fleet or even adv combat trainers in Ireland.