Indian AFVs

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
At http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/Images-Artillery-SP.html you may find this photo:

0274.jpg

Its caption reads:

An Indian-designed SPG, mounted on a APC chassis that was also designed by CVRDE (Combat Vehicle Research & Development Establishment). This SPG was part of a family of tracked armoured vehicles sharing the same chassis. Unfortunately none of it went into production.

Do you know anything about the vehicles? Any information, especially on the APC project, would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Piotr

I think...
It's not quite an Abbot, FV430 series, but looks very like the 105mm gun, but not an Abbot turret. More like a French 105mm?
I think it is the FV420 series carrier, but I've never seen anything of this or any Indian version before.
I'll dig for my pics of the 420s

I've had seond thoughts. Purely on grounds of availability of the chassis it must be an FV432, but it doesn't look quite right, somehow. I must find the pictures in old magazines, so it will take a few days.

Looks like the right size to be based on the Abbot but the roadwheels and spockets seem different and look more like M113 items. Pity you can't see the return rollers. Glacis plate is different and overall the hull must be of new design as it matches neither the Abbot or FV 432.

Could it be a wholly Indian designed series of vehicles without any basis on British or American running gear?

Taking Hood's comment about the glacis plate... this is FV421
I've refleted it, actually, to make comparison easier.
The paperclip is not my idea - it's on the photo.

Attachments

• FV421turned.JPG
    FV421turned.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 180
Sorry, I meant to add (finger a bit quick on the post button)
There were several prototypes, appearances differing a little between them, but getting one to India seems a bit unlikely. I've put out another feeler. If it leads anywhere I'll post the result.
The photo is from "Classic Military Vehicle" No11 2002, but there was an article on the whole FV420 series somewhere. No SP gun though IIRC.

My 'feeler' has led nowhere. I think Hood is right that it is an independent Indian design.

Hood said:
Looks like the right size to be based on the Abbot but the roadwheels and spockets seem different and look more like M113 items. Pity you can't see the return rollers. Glacis plate is different and overall the hull must be of new design as it matches neither the Abbot or FV 432.

Could it be a wholly Indian designed series of vehicles without any basis on British or American running gear?

My feeling is that the chassis was somehow patterned after that of the AMX-13. In my opinion the road-wheels of both vehicles are very similar, if not identical (see picture of the AMX-13 below)

amx13_75_084.jpg

The Indian army had already had a number of the AMX-13s, so perhaps they took the vehicle as a base for further development.

By the way, do you have any idea on what vehicles the Indian army mounted their SS-11 anti-tank missiles launchers? Did they have the SS-11 armed version of the AMX-13?

Best regards,
Piotr

Road wheels yes, but not the sloping top run of the tracks. As Hood says, pity you can't see the return rollers. The turret is a bit like the non-oscillating 75mm on the 'colonial' version of the Panhard armoured car - but you can go on forever with ideas like those. I've not quite given up tracing what it really was.