ID Bell glide bomb.

It's clearly in the "Tallboy/Grand Slam" family. The squared-off tailfins seem to be those of the T-12 "Cloudmaker," 43,000 pound bomb. The T-12, however, had four tailfins not three.

300px-T-12-USORDMUS.JPG

Presumably an emergency program for the Korean War, more than likely for the USAF.

Thanks for the effort,the pictures was on an auction site without any other information.

Interesting. Why inverted wings? To allow for supersonic glide?
The forward half of the bomb is a giant iron casting filled with kerplosive. You wouldn't want spars running through that, I suppose, especially if you're trying to *not* modify existing hardware, or if you don't want to mess with the armor-piercing forward penetrator. With these forward swept wings, the spars are far enough aft that they fit through the non-kerplodey rear shell of the bomb, and are apparently part of a new structure.

I agree, I was going to say that a spar would have incorporated the large bolt ring on the rear end of the casting

Attachments

• Grand_Slam_bombs_awaiting_delivery_(19456323542).jpg
    Grand_Slam_bombs_awaiting_delivery_(19456323542).jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 32
It's clearly in the "Tallboy/Grand Slam" family. The squared-off tailfins seem to be those of the T-12 "Cloudmaker," 43,000 pound bomb. The T-12, however, had four tailfins not three.

The tail fins on these bombs were also set at an incidence to impart stabilizing spin (visible in Justo's drawings), which would be undesirable for a winged weapon. So a new fin configuration was inevitable.