Huge airship concept

Bottleship

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Project of unknown German engineer, based on Tsiolkovskiy metal airship. Original Tsiolkovskiy project was a 300 metres lenght, but, THIS - height 300 metres, lenght - 1+ km. And, 200 000 passengers :)
09092010_1.jpg
(I haven't data about this Soviet magazine)

Last edited:
Project of unknown German engineer, based on Tsiolkovskiy metal airship. Original Tsiolkovskiy project was a 300 metres lenght, but, THIS - height 300 metres, lenght - 1+ km. And, 200 000 passengers :)

Wow that's still a monster but hey at least it's not made of iron sheets... It's not is it?

And at least we've now got an idea how it was supposed to work which is more than I'd seen before. Any chance of a translation?

Randy

Wow that's still a monster but hey at least it's not made of iron sheets... It's not is it?

And at least we've now got an idea how it was supposed to work which is more than I'd seen before. Any chance of a translation?

Randy
It's metal sheating) Not iron, light alloy, but... :)
(I can't translate full text quicky, I'll translate in parts)
"Metal Tsiolkovskiy airship has several advantages over all existing system. To visualize its shape, imagine a long, flat suitcase tapering around the edges. The airship shell is made of corrugated iron, and due to this, it can swell and contract, depending on the pressure of the internal gas and the outside air. This is the first feature of the Tsiolkovskiy airship."

It's metal sheating) Not iron, light alloy, but... :)

But it actually says "corrugated iron" which BTW was picked up in the english blubs about it AND quite obviously questioned by anyone who knows airships :)

(I can't translate full text quicky, I'll translate in parts)
"Metal Tsiolkovskiy airship has several advantages over all existing system. To visualize its shape, imagine a long, flat suitcase tapering around the edges. The airship shell is made of corrugated iron, and due to this, it can swell and contract, depending on the pressure of the internal gas and the outside air. This is the first feature of the Tsiolkovskiy airship."

It makes sense in context and that was pretty much all that was given on the idea in the west, (looks to be about a verbatim translation too) but this is the first time I've seen the other illustrations.

First one is obviously a 'cross-section' diagram, showing the internal cabling that looks to collapse the envelope vertically. By the looks the overall type is a semi-rigid design with a rigid keep and open envelope. The forward and aft vertical lines make me wonder if it could be shortened as well? The second illustration is I'm guessing how the cables can assist or support the expansion or contraction, (though that first one is not only not going to fly I'd be surprised if it didn't collapse :) ) which I guessing the envelope 'shell' helps support whatever the envelope material is resist the changes.

The overall concept is interesting and this adds to the concept which is something I've wanted to see for a while so thanks much for finding it!

Randy

first, you have to find 200k people who want to go to the same place at the same time.

Is Soviet Russia so not a problem ;)

Randy

I found in gwar.mil.ru project of "Armoured airship, for thousands pood of bombs*, who invulnerable for German atrillery", and, engine for this machine - "work in billions pood-foots**", with range 27 000 km. And, it's in 1914. Author - Alexander Yurkevich.
*1000 pood = 16.38 ton
**1 billion pood = 16.38 million ton
1 billion pood-foot ~ 66.7 million hp
Other author hated small load of bombers. And, told - "We can create practically immeasurable flying apparatus"...
About Yurkevich:
00000051 A.jpg
00000052 A.jpg
00000053 A.jpg 00000054 A.jpg

Last edited:
"Flying Alpine sanatorium", Ifnatyev, 1971 :D
84080925.jpg
"It is quite possible to build a flying alpine sanatorium “with a beach”, or rather, a solarium on its back, with comfortable rooms and the most modern medical equipment ... They will be the only sanatoriums where there will always be sun and there will be no wind. Even if the height of the upper limp of the clouds does not allow the airship to rise above them so that patients receive sunbathing, then it does not cost anything, asking meteorologists to fly to the area of sunny weather or low clouds"

I found in gwar.mil.ru project of "Armoured airship, for thousands pood of bombs*, who invulnerable for German atrillery", and, engine for this machine - "work in billions pood-foots**", with range 27 000 km. And, it's in 1914. Author - Alexander Yurkevich.
*1000 pood = 16.38 ton
**1 billion pood = 16.38 million ton
1 billion pood-foot ~ 66.7 million hp
Other author hated small load of bombers. And, told - "We can create practically immeasurable flying apparatus"...
About Yurkevich:

He wasn't the only one as the folks behind the Technocracy movement advocated huge flying wing bombers, flying out of the Aleution Island in Alaska, (proving they'd never been there or really knew anything about them :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands) flying wingtip-to-wingtip over Japan not bothering with accuracy since they each carried 100 tons of bombs. Thousands of them per sortie.

Randy

"Flying Alpine sanatorium", Ifnatyev, 1971 :D
View attachment 619339
"It is quite possible to build a flying alpine sanatorium “with a beach”, or rather, a solarium on its back, with comfortable rooms and the most modern medical equipment ... They will be the only sanatoriums where there will always be sun and there will be no wind. Even if the height of the upper limp of the clouds does not allow the airship to rise above them so that patients receive sunbathing, then it does not cost anything, asking meteorologists to fly to the area of sunny weather or low clouds"

I like the 'no wind' part but on the other hand won't it be a bit cold up there to sun bath? 1971 seems a bit late for such notions...

Now what was that 30s murder mystery movie where the bad guy tried to dispose of the witness... By throwing them over the balcony railing on the 'observation' deck of the trans-oceanic passenger airplane at 20,000ft and several hundred miles an hour?

Randy

first, you have to find 200k people who want to go to the same place at the same time.
It's difficult for me to translate this sentence correctly into English, but it would be something like this: "It could be possible for such an airship to lift up 200k people". So I think, nobody really planned to transport such a huge crowd. Rather it's a figurative illustration of its possible load capacity (i.e. about 20.000 tons).

Project of Duke Evgeniy Wittgenstein, 1856, december 30, to Marine Scientific Committee:
"Samolet" (Rus. Самолёт)
Apparently, rigid airship, lenght 256 sazhen (standart sazhen - 2.1336 m, 256 sazhen = 546 m), beam 112 sazhen (239 m), load 1500 pood (24.57 t). "If lenght is 270 sazhen (576 m) - load over 2000 pood (32.76 t). Can construct of apparatus with load 20 000 pood (327.6 t) or 50 000 pood (819 t)"
Also, for 256 sazhen "Samolet" - to 500 passengers, and 20-25 crew, for trip around the world.
"...small steam machine, to blow air quickly and evenly. It will be a great start for air fleets." (fleet of airships... It look like Red Alert, "Kirov Reporting")
(from "Aeronautics and aviation in Russia before 1907")
Also, project of Vronskiy steam engine, for airships, suggested for "Samolet" or other big airships, in weight 200 kg. Power - presure 10 atm - 25-28 HP, pressure 50-60 atm - 60 HP or over. And, told about power limitation, due to the low shaft strength.

Last edited:
Enormous airship indeed. The 819 ton capacity may require about 1.5 Million cubic meter of Helium.

G. Krutikov, airship-house, 1928-1929:
97859156600370005.jpg
And, other projects - it's not a normal airships, but, it's also weird projects:
acb368561d8dc27867a7cd84ff5cc2ee.jpg
1.jpg
7c3b21e6912e5105b6e788fcaff4a042.jpg
"Flying city"
I. Iozefovich, "Flying Palace of Kongress", 1929, airship with hall for 10 000 persons, and, moored tower (suggested built of this towers in all capitals of Soviet Republics):
755320924892292.jpg
7760_900.jpg

Back
Top Bottom