HIMAT and the other AFTI Projects

Andreas Parsch

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

several years ago I received the attached image from an anonymous source. The source said about the design:
The image is Rockwell's winning proposal for the AFTI-1. [...] Weight was 12,000-lbs and powered by 2x J85s; similar size to Have Blue. This aircraft [was] flown as a concept demo during ATB comp. [...]. Tail articulates like a scorpion.

Unfortunately, the source has a rather bad reliability record (regarding other "info" I received), and I'd like to know if anyone else can say something about this design.

TIA
Andreas

Attachments

• misc-afti.jpg
    misc-afti.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5,019
I have another pic of this design, no info except that its a Rockwell design.

[EDIT: pic was accidentally reversed]

Attachments

• rockwellad.jpg
    rockwellad.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,690
Andreas Parsch said:
several years ago I received the attached image from an anonymous source.
...the source has a rather bad reliability record

Wolfbane? ;D

(Sorry, I'm not too sure, but couldn't resist. ;) BTW I'm currently working on updating my page about "these kind of things".)

contains references to Fairchild and Rockwell AFTI-1 designs.

"AFTI-1. The configuration proposed by Rockwell (bee. Figure. 4) also. has. n. canard layout and is.very much. tied to their jet flap-supercirculation concept. The proposed confipuration, with the imposition OF. the mission relevant constraints.
does not warrant. incorporation of this concept. Transonlcully. lift" (fragments from Google search)

To the best of my knowledge, this is the Rockwell AFTI design. However, the USAF decided to go with a modified F-16 for the Stage 1 AFTI. Nothing to suggest that the Rockwell AFTI was built, and nothing at all to suggest it was anything to do with the ATB program.

Here are two AFTI projects for modified F-15 and F-16

Source:
  • Klaus Huenecke, Modern Combat Aircraft Design Airlife 1984 (based on article cited above)

Attachments

• AFTI-F-15.jpg
    AFTI-F-15.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,312
  • AFTI-F-16.jpg
    AFTI-F-16.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,286
This concept, from Huenecke and probably taken from the AIAA article above, is very reminiscent of the Mikoyan MFI 1.42.

Attachments

• AFTI-III.jpg
    AFTI-III.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 5,024
Here some other McDD related proposals ...

Attachments

• AFTI - McDonnell Douglas - 01.jpg
    AFTI - McDonnell Douglas - 01.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 887
  • AFTI - AMDAC McDD maybe model 265.jpg
    AFTI - AMDAC McDD maybe model 265.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • AFTI - AMDAC McDD model 265-2 small - 01.jpg
    AFTI - AMDAC McDD model 265-2 small - 01.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 2,175
... and some more from other manufactures !

But for some of them I'm not sure if they realy show ATFI concepts or early ATF suggestions, ideas ... ???

Attachments

• AFTI - HiMAT Rockwell 04 nozzle types.jpg
    AFTI - HiMAT Rockwell 04 nozzle types.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 798
  • AFTI - HiMAT Rockwell 05 configurations.jpg
    AFTI - HiMAT Rockwell 05 configurations.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 875
  • AFTI - HiMAT Rockwell 01.jpg
    AFTI - HiMAT Rockwell 01.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 987
  • AFTI - Fairchild-Republic - 01.jpg
    AFTI - Fairchild-Republic - 01.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • AFTI - contenders.jpg
    AFTI - contenders.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 1,298
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article13.html

I have been reading about F-16 AFTI story. Advanced Fighter Technology Integration was a program to develop and demonstrate technologies to improve navigation and a pilot's ability to find and destroy enemy ground targets day or night, including adverse weather. So why do you need a design competition to build a single research aircraft?

Which is relationship between AFTI and HiMAT?

Which is relationship between F-16 AFTI and F-111 MAW/AFTI (Mission Adaptative Wing)

Rockwell HiMAT (Highly Manoeuvrable Aircraft Technology) was issued to explore the limits of manoeuvrability. The basic could be matched with different wings but, at the end, I think just one configuration was flown

Attachments

• Rockwell HiMAT 3.jpg
    Rockwell HiMAT 3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 995
HiMAT 3 views

Attachments

• Rockwell HiMAT 2.jpg
    Rockwell HiMAT 2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 869
The roll-out of Rockwell HiMAT in 1977. The program ended in 1983. This vehicle had twice the Manoeuvrability of an F-16.

Attachments

• Rockwell HiMAT 1.jpg
    Rockwell HiMAT 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 980
AFTI was a program, from the mid 70s, to explore new technologies that would be useful in a new generation of fighters, and prepare for future fighter programs. To this end, a variety of submissions were considered from different places. Some companies suggested building whole demonstrators, others modifications to existing aircraft. The F-16AFTI, F-15SMTD, Boeing F-111 MAWS, HIMAT, all stem from ideas generated in the AFTI program. The initial idea was a 3 stage program; Tech Set 1 involved modifying F-15 and F-16s with CCV and testing direct sideforce and lift. Tech Set 2 revolved around improving performance in the transonic range, and included mission adaptive wings, and 2D vectoring engine nozzles. Tech Set 3 was to be a wholly new airframe incorporating all the new ideas.

Deino said:
Here some other McDD related proposals ...

Dear Deino, this 3-view is Lockheed's ATF proposal dated July 1973, in-firm designation CL 1309-34-1
Published in 'F-22 Design Evolution' article in Lockheed's 'Code One' magazine ca.1998

Attachments

• CL 1309-34-1.jpg
    CL 1309-34-1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,347
Scott, check your e-mail.

Gregory,

could you please email me a higher resolution scan?
I have no references to this design. It seems related to CL-915/CL-1980 families. Isn't it?. I have checked Jay Miller's F/A-22 Raptor (Aerofax) and I have found nothing although Chapter One is very good. On page 8 there are drawings of RFI configurations. Lockheed configuration one is a 116,398 lb monster reminiscent of SR-71 and CL-1980.

Regards,

Antonio

Argh! Here it is again! My "Rockwell Firefox". So maybe it was an AFTI before it was an ATF? Surely out of all the various artist concepts from other manufacturers, there are others of this design besides a front view!!! Arrgghh!!

Deino said:
... and some more from other manufactures !

But for some of them I'm not sure if they realy show ATFI concepts or early ATF suggestions, ideas ... ???

Yes, this plane was a proposal for the program that eventually became the AFTI F-16. The F-16 was obviously the less expensive solution.

A few months ago I came across an article or a PDF, about Rockwell Fighters derived from HIMAT technology, and one of them was called the counter attack fighter. The counter attack fighter was supposed to be as small as an F-86; carry cannon and 2 to 4 AIM-9 missiles. From what I remember, the aircraft did not appear to have thrust vectoring engines. It looked like a cheaper version of Rockwell lightweight (17,000lb) fighter. Does anyone know anything about it.

My dears,

in the book Warplanes of the 21st century,there was a picture to a fighter
derivative of Rockwell HIMAT,I cann't recongize it was a really picture or
not,can you help me to find the answer?.

I can send it but there is an artist picture to the aircraft I mean it,from dear
overscan.

hesham said:
My dears,

in the book Warplanes of the 21st century,there was a picture to a fighter
derivative of Rockwell HIMAT,I cann't recongize it was a really picture or
not,can you help me to find the answer?.

I can send it but there is an artist picture to the aircraft I mean it,from dear
overscan.

.... just take a look 8 post above !!!

Cheers ;D

You'll probably all think I'm being incredibly naive here but as far as I know the AFTI program was just a NASA reseach effort sponsored by the US airforce and Navy to try out new technology on a F-16A: chin fins, sensors, helmet mounted cueing, pilot interface, flight controls etc. At least that's what they say:

I can see some of your vert cool source material has AFTI printed on it (most of it apparently HiMAT derivertives) but I've never heard of AFTI as a whole new airframe contract (but I've discovered a lot of things on this site). If AFTI was to be a new plane what became of it?
Woody

AFTI was a program to develop technology for new fighters (Advanced Fighter Technology Integration I believe). Various companies put forward bids for different projects. General Dynamics won a contract for their F-16 AFTI, Boeing got one for the Mission Adaptive Wing F-111. Other manufacturers wanted to build new airframes, but they lost out to the cheaper approach of modifiying existing designs.

The AFTI F-16 went through a number of various configurations over the years. Starting with what was an update of the YF-16CCV, IRST balls were added on either side of the chine and other air-to-air sensors were evaluated. Later, it was used to test out new air-to-ground sensors and systems. It later served as the JIST testbed, proving several technologies used in the X-32 and/or X-35 programs, including the aerodynamics of the X-35/F-35 inlet, before being returned to nearer the standard F-16 configuration for it's inclusion in the USAFM.

Horribly, horribly mutated HiMAT configuration from

NASA Technical Paper 1427
Aerodynamic Characteristics at Mach Numbers of 1.5, 1.8, and 2.0 of a Blended Wing-Body Configuration
With and Without Integral Canards
A. Warner Robins, Milton Lamb, and David S. Miller
Langley Research Center
Hampton, Virginia

Attachments

• himatderintegrcanards-s.jpg
    himatderintegrcanards-s.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,639
I wonder what the RCS of a HiMAT derived fighter capable of carrying a human pilot and useful warload would be? All those fins and aero aids and stuff...

The place to go if you want to see the "what if" of all the AFTI stuff put into practice is Dale Brown's "Day Of The Cheetah" novel. Just about everything from the pre-stealth Cold War advanced tech era is represented in there. No F-22 or F-35 anything, no F-117, really...the hero jet is an Eagle with the S/MTD mods and a MAW, and the "evil" jet is an X-29 crossed with the AFTI F-16 and put on steroids. Just ignore the inconsistencies (it switches from one to two engines at one point), and it's kind of fun.

Does anyone have a HIMAT 3-view, with cross-sections?

Rafa

MBB were in talks with McDonnell-Douglas about possibly working together on an AFTI demonstrator (presumably Model 265)

Source:

AIR 2/19156 (National Archives)

flateric said:
Horribly, horribly mutated HiMAT configuration from

NASA Technical Paper 1427
Aerodynamic Characteristics at Mach Numbers of 1.5, 1.8, and 2.0 of a Blended Wing-Body Configuration
With and Without Integral Canards
A. Warner Robins, Milton Lamb, and David S. Miller
Langley Research Center
Hampton, Virginia

Thats the bastard offspring of the BiCH-26 and a hammerhead shark...

Grumman AFTI/HIMAT submission, shown as a manned fighter in this artwork.

Source:
Steve Pace, X-29, Aero Series, 1991

Attachments

• Grumman-HIMAT.jpg
    Grumman-HIMAT.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,341
overscan said:
This concept, from Huenecke and probably taken from the AIAA article above, is very reminiscent of the Mikoyan MFI 1.42.

This must be the early Rockwell HIMAT configuration described in Flight International.

Features selected for the fighter were: close coupled canard; blended wing/body; vortex strakes; Rockwell aerofoil; variable-camber wing; drag modulation; winglets; cambered fuselage; self-trimming wing; underfuselage intake; integrated propulsion and flight controls; digital fly-by-wire; active controls and relaxed static stability; composite structure; aeroelastic tailoring; stress-limiting controls; direct lift and sideforce; and high aspect ratio, two-dimensional (2D) nozzles.

Those which did not make it onto HiMAT include the blended wing/body, vortex strakes, cambered fuselage and the 2D nozzle. The blended wing/body and vortex strakes are already familiar features on the F-16. The highly swept, sharp-edged strakes generate vortices which sweep back over the wing, energising the air and maintaining lift to greater angles of attack. Blending the wing and body reduces interference drag at their junction and creates a forebody strake.

Windtunnel tests on the original HiMAT configuration—with strakes and blending—showed that the vortex lift created nonlinear pitching characteristics which could not be trimmed out without the jet flap created by the 2D nozzle. There was not enough time to incorporate the advanced nozzle in HiMAT so the blended wing/body and canard strakes were deleted. Canard sweep was increased to 63° to generate the vortices required to maintain wing lift...

...Several changes were made to the HiMAT wing-canard combination to achieve the desired induced drag. More vertical separation was required but was limited by the depth of fuselage. Instead, canard dihedral was increased, which also improved the direct sideforce capability of canard flaps and rudders. Increased dihedral meant more side area forward of the centre of gravity. To compensate, winglet chord was increased and the surfaces extended below the wing. This was a more efficient way of regaining directional stability, as winglets reduce induced drag by taking some of the sting out of vortices cast off by the wing.

http://www.flightglobal.com/PDFArchive/View/1980/1980%20-%201643.html

Attachments

• afti.jpg
    afti.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,223
Damn, without winglets it reminds me you know what dubbed 1.44

overscan said:
Thats the bastard offspring of the BiCH-26 and a hammerhead shark...

You know, its really nice to have a place where people can say something like that and other people know what it means...

History of HIMAT evolution from conceptual design is here:

Aerodynamic configuration development of the highly maneuverable aircraft technology remotely piloted research vehicle

unfortunately not available in PDF yet.

The aerodynamic development of the highly maneuverable aircraft technology remotely piloted research vehicle (HiMAT/RPRV) from the conceptual design to the final configuration is presented. The design integrates several advanced concepts to achieve a high degree of transonic maneuverability, and was keyed to sustained maneuverability goals while other fighter typical performance characteristics were maintained. When tests of the baseline configuration indicated deficiencies in the technology integration and design techniques, the vehicle was reconfigured to satisfy the subcritical and supersonic requirements. Drag-due-to-lift levels only 5 percent higher than the optimum were obtained for the wind tunnel model at a lift coefficient of 1 for Mach numbers of up to 0.8. The transonic drag rise was progressively lowered with the application of nonlinear potential flow analyses coupled with experimental data.