HIMAT and the other AFTI Projects

Hi,

I can't understand what was this modifying in the wing ? page 72.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19990058717_1999088199.pdf

Attachments

• F-111.JPG
    F-111.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 347
I believe they are wing gloves fitted in 1979 to try to achieve natural laminar flow without airflow modifying devices. Don't know what the results were but I doubt they were successful as any flaw or dirt on the wing would disturb the flow.

Actually the document you posted gives a good overview (pg 17-18). At least better than what I have

For some reason I find this Fairchild-Republic AFTI proposal reminiscent of the Rockwell XFV-12A VTOL fighter that was cancelled after only a few tethered flights.

Single engine:

Attachments

• img069a.jpg
    img069a.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 910
Twin engine: (Image EK-MRP-416A / DS-80-0758)

Attachments

• img068a.jpg
    img068a.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 926
Twin engine / 2-D exhaust (Image TSP-77-4181)

(HIMAT based lightweight (17,000lb) fighter)

Attachments

• img067a.jpg
    img067a.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 860
A bit more information on the Fairchild-Republic and McDonnell-Douglas AFTI submissions.

[Reference: Air Pictorial September 1974 (Volume 36 No 9) Page 328]

Attachments

• AFTI 01.jpg
    AFTI 01.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 676
  • AFTI 02.jpg
    AFTI 02.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 609
  • AFTI 03.JPG
    AFTI 03.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 622
Greetings All -

Vought also had designs for HiMat - here's a report and the design configurations noted in the report.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xVought HiMat-6.gif
    xVought HiMat-6.gif
    57.2 KB · Views: 323
  • xVought HiMat-5.gif
    xVought HiMat-5.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 269
  • xVought HiMat-4.gif
    xVought HiMat-4.gif
    61.8 KB · Views: 265
  • xVought HiMat-3.gif
    xVought HiMat-3.gif
    55.4 KB · Views: 262
  • xVought HiMat-2.gif
    xVought HiMat-2.gif
    52.9 KB · Views: 268
  • xVought HiMat-1.gif
    xVought HiMat-1.gif
    49.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Vought HiMat Phase I Report July-26-73.pdf
    435.2 KB · Views: 94
...and a few more... Mark

Attachments

• xVought HiMat-7.gif
    xVought HiMat-7.gif
    46.6 KB · Views: 272
  • xVought HiMat-8.gif
    xVought HiMat-8.gif
    50.6 KB · Views: 322
  • xVought HiMat-9.gif
    xVought HiMat-9.gif
    49.1 KB · Views: 287
  • xVought HiMat-Selected Configurations.gif
    xVought HiMat-Selected Configurations.gif
    135.9 KB · Views: 361
Figure 6.8 Hi-Mat looks like something you would see in one of those crazy anime movies. Thanks for sharing these though.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,133.msg17900.html#msg17900
flateric said:
Horribly, horribly mutated HiMAT configuration from
NASA Technical Paper 1427
Aerodynamic Characteristics at Mach Numbers of 1.5, 1.8, and 2.0 of a Blended Wing-Body Configuration With and Without Integral Canards

SCIF-II

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Additional_Photos_for_12-Foot_Low_Speed_Tunnel_2#SCIF-II_Model

Attachments

• L-78-7994.jpg
    L-78-7994.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 439
Himat-derived fighter, i suspect it's the one depicted in Flateric's post on page one of this thread. I am also posting an ad that appeared on AvWeek in occasion of Himat's first flight. I searched for a HiMAT-only thread but there are none, so I'm putting it here.

Attachments

• HIMAT fighters.JPG
    HIMAT fighters.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 540
  • HIMAT first flight.JPG
    HIMAT first flight.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 489
That F-R AFT Concept is cool. I would like to know what the large doors in the center of the top of the fuselage are for; A lift fan? A weapons bay?

Sundog said:
That F-R AFT Concept is cool. I would like to know what the large doors in the center of the top of the fuselage are for; A lift fan? A weapons bay?
Could the doors be for a parachute recovery system? -SP

Sundog said:
That F-R AFT Concept is cool.
Is this really AFTI? Possibly an alternate (albeit VERY different) design?

Last edited by a moderator:
*raises eyebrow*

Wow. Was that thing meant to fly mostly on fuselage lift? Or were the wings retractable or something?

Pure fuselage lift. Fairchild took out a design patent on the concept; there are no hidden wings.

Without wings, though, landing would be all kinds of exciting. So lift jets centrally mounted *would* make a good deal of sense. Even if the thing isn't VTOL, having added lift at low speed would be a good idea.

Probably does not want to do anything other than flying in a straight line.

Greetings All -

Artwork for an AFTI configuration by Rockwell. Found this in a brochure about the P&W F100 engine. Not too sure what LAAD means though....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Rockwell LAAD Proposal Artwork.jpg
    Rockwell LAAD Proposal Artwork.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 1,057
AeroFranz said:
Probably does not want to do anything other than flying in a straight line.

Probably won't want to lose thrust vectoring either. :eek:

overscan said:
Luftfahrt International Issue 26 had an article on this AFTI concept.
US Design-Patent 244.180, Anmelder Fairchild Industries.
from mn. Luftfahrt

Attachments

• Fairchild-Republic AFTI.jpg
    Fairchild-Republic AFTI.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 917
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? :eek: Just how the devil do they expect us to land that thing? I have a disturbing feeling its cL is substantially forward of its cG, and the landing speed is north of 250kts. I hope it has dead reliable thrust vectoring!

I'd at least have wedgied out the body aft of the canards to approximate wings with around a ~75degree LE sweep, likely with a 60 degree LE crank halfway back to the aft end (optionally with a seven degree anhedral) to form actual wings. It would probably then look just like a supersonic jet-powered Payen design or a fancy Saab Draken with bigass canards.

Mark Nankivil said:
Greetings All -

Artwork for an AFTI configuration by Rockwell. Found this in a brochure about the P&W F100 engine. Not too sure what LAAD means though....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Interesting, but it might be generic artwork?

dannydale said:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? :eek: Just how the devil do they expect us to land that thing?

Maybe they didn't... A design for a JASDF kamikaze fighter, perhaps? ;D

borovik said:
overscan said:
Luftfahrt International Issue 26 had an article on this AFTI concept.
US Design-Patent 244.180, Anmelder Fairchild Industries.
from mn. Luftfahrt

Original Patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=huE8AAAAEBAJ

Gordon Rosenthal, who designed various AFTI configurations for Fairchild including the crazy wingless one, wrote an article available from SAE:

http://papers.sae.org/751077/

Fairchild Republic Advanced Fighter Technology Integrator (AFTI)-Phase 1 Program Review

A study was made of desirable advanced fighter technologies for integration into a demonstrator aircraft which would be used to evaluate combat effectiveness. The demonstrator aircraft configuration development is traced, and its physical and performance characteristics are summarized. The technologies incorporated are described and their performance characteristics and benefits are discussed and substantiated by applicable wind tunnel or manned simulation results. Key technologies include: advanced aerodynamic configuration, advanced structural concepts; integrated maneuvering nozzle, variable incidence outer wing panel, variable camber, chin fin, multi-mode digital fly-by-wire control system, integrated fire fire control system, and high acceleration crew station.

overscan said:
Gordon Rosenthal, who designed various AFTI configurations for Fairchild including the crazy wingless one, wrote an article available from SAE:

A small warning about papers purchased and downloaded from the SAE... they only work on the computer that downloads 'em. I use a netbook for surfing and other computers (unlinked to the internet) for work, and found that an SAE paper I paid good money for simply would not open on any other computer. It's some form of password protection to keep people from passing the $22 SAE papers around, I guess. Since my netbook isn't connected to the printer, I can't even print the fargin' thing.

Did you try printing using virtual printer?

Here's one that does not require separate ghost script installation:

http://www.exp-systems.com/PDFreDirect/Downloads.htm?1

I've used it to make pdf's from around fifteen different applications, worked every time. Just select pdf redirect as a default printer on that netbook and voila - report in pdf is on your desktop ;D

Yes, I was going to suggest that as well. It's worth trying, but there's no guarantee if the source file uses 'exotic' features - for example I've not succeeded in saving completed PDF forms that way (the original file did not allow changes to be saved).

But definitely worth an attempt!

The Fairchild AFTI 3-view proposal.

Attachments

• AFTI.jpg
    AFTI.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 2,111