ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

http://www.antaresmodels.com/luft46.asp?s=L48

Attachments

• He 162 with Jumo 004 D.jpg
    He 162 with Jumo 004 D.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 175
Though I don't doubt that a Jumo-powered He162 was considered, the illustration is just silly, the engine cowl is simply that off a Me262, with no effort to reflect how a top mounted Jumo might actually look. Retaining the upper aft engine-to-wing fairing is particularly dumb/lazy, for example.

I have read that that they made 1 or 2 with the oo4d but they were lost in raid .

I'm not sure if this idea is really so lazy.

You also have to keep in mind, that during the end of the war, they were still trying to realiuze many conversions and projects, which were, out of necessity due to the lack of resources, as shortcutted as they could be. So the original build would have probably looked more like this, then we would consider from a technical sensible point of view today.
Just think of the patchwork prototype for the Ju 287 compared to its original design.

A+V models shows the same solution on their Henschel Hs 132B with the JUMO 004.

Well, no. The cowls for the '262 s Jumos were fitted primarily to the wing, not the engine, so there is no obligatory or even conveiniant reason to use those particular sections for a He162 installation. That anyone would do art or even a kit with that feature would be a matter of lack of information combined with lack of knowledge of what's actually involved with the hardware.
A Jumo in the installation would need a cowl with a bit of a hump forward, not unlike the BMW003, to cover the accessories, and then taper back more directly, as the various hardware is grouped more foreward on the Jumo. The inclusion of the aft wing to nacel fillet over the upper half of the rear cowl area shows how absurd/ignorant those artists were to things. The rear cowl could have '262 style cooling slots, or Ar234 style slots. The cowls in general would likely hinge off the lower edge like the BMW or like the Jumo on Ar234.

Back
Top Bottom