• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Grumman F12F Lion "Sageburner"

Chris707

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Chris
------------------------
http://www.dataviewbooks.com newly updated with new patents and recognition pages

Attachments

• f12f-1.jpg
    f12f-1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 274

Ranger6

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
;D

Sferrin,

Yes, this was a real design, although I don't believe the designation was F-12F. The original F-11F Tiger was a good day fighter, but was not able to achieve supersonic speed in level flight and was at the end of its development potential. "Sageburner" was supposed to fix these problems by mating the F-11 fuselage with the J-79 engine. Since the F-4 Phantom and the F-8 Crusader were already in production and could do everything the upgraded Tiger could and more, the Navy decided not to pursue the project.

Likewise, since no F-11s were exported, ther was no incentive to get production underway. That said, I wonder what might have been if some early F-11s had gone into service and were then upgraded with the J-79 (in a process similar to waht the Israelis did with the Mirage III) and other enhancements.

Perhaps someone wants to hypothesize?

Regards,

Ranger6

starviking

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

American Secret Projects gives this as the Grumman Design 118 (Pages 125-6). Two prototypes were ordered in 1956, but cancelled before any construction had begun.

ASP also states that the designation XF12F-1 had been assigned at different times to both the Super Tiger and the Model 118, the Super Tiger designation being semi-official.

Starviking

Antonio

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Some bibliografic references:

Naval Fighters No 44: F11F-1F Supertiger - Grumman's Mach-2 International

American Secret Projects: Fighters & Interceptors 1945-1978. Tony Buttler

;)

F-14D

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
pometablava said:
Some bibliografic references:

Naval Fighters No 44: F11F-1F Supertiger - Grumman's Mach-2 International

American Secret Projects: Fighters & Interceptors 1945-1978. Tony Buttler

;)

The F11F-1F (F11 with J79) was built, and even proposed to Japan. USN had no real interest since by then the F-4 was on the way, a much more capable and versatile aircraft.