Unknown Grumman twin-engine jet fighter

Tailspin Turtle

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.tommythomason.com
And now for something completely different, photographed in the Grumman History Center

Attachments

• Grumman Unknown Twin.jpg
    Grumman Unknown Twin.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 245
  • Grumman Unknown Top View.jpg
    Grumman Unknown Top View.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Grumman Unknown front view.jpg
    Grumman Unknown front view.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 214
The horizontal tailplane is representative of the XF10F-1 Jaguar. -SP

The design was featured in American Secret Projects: Fighters & Interceptors as an unknown Grumman design with some similar design features to the Model 118 (the so-called XF12F).

Comparing the width and depth of the rear fuselage, I think it's almost certainly a twin-engined airplane. I wonder if the offset cockpit accommodated a RIO in an arrangement similar to the DH Sea Vixen, a large subsystem or was a way to improve visibility during a carrier approach. Anyway, I'm glad it didn't catch on - it would have been one of the few features that could have made the Phantom uglier.

taildragger said:
Comparing the width and depth of the rear fuselage, I think it's almost certainly a twin-engined airplane. I wonder if the offset cockpit accommodated a RIO in an arrangement similar to the DH Sea Vixen, a large subsystem or was a way to improve visibility during a carrier approach. Anyway, I'm glad it didn't catch on - it would have been one of the few features that could have made the Phantom uglier.
My bad - I was in a hurry when I was taking the pictures and concentrating on showing the offset cockpit. I didn't notice that I didn't have one that showed it had two engines.