http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1929/1929-1%20-%201825.html

Attachments

• Christmas 1.JPG
    Christmas 1.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 673
  • Christmas atrist drawing .JPG
    Christmas atrist drawing .JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 629
This wing is so huge, do you classify this as Burnelli's lifting fuselage? or else as inhabited wing?
Interesting twin-boomer anyway, thanks.

Just for sharing :

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1557651

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 541
  • z.jpg
    z.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 466
Unfortunately we have no indication of the country this twin-fuselage transport was designed, right?

Or is "Conn." short for Connecticut?

Stargazer2006 said:
Or is "Conn." short for Connecticut?

I'd guess so, particularly as I thought 'rest room' was American English?

Love the design BTW, although I wonder if it would have had enough power to ever get off the ground ...

after littel Goggle fu i found this

there was a car manufacture called "General Development Co." in Ridgewood, NY & Long Island, NY 1946-1948
i know its not Connecticut but Long Island is under it.

"I wonder if it would have had enough power to ever get off the ground ..."

It looks, as every of those about 9,5m diameter props would have been powered
by 4 engines. If we use the Napier Lion just as an example, that would fit with regards
to size and type (inline engine), we get about 3600 hp. That probably would have been
sufficient. Interesting find !

Hi!

Why use Google, when we have Flight? :cool:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1929/1929-1%20-%201824.html?search=General%20Development

This aircraft design has been mentioned in Aerofiles:

Company: 1910: (Dr William Whitney) Christmas Aeroplane Co, Washington DC. c.1912: Durham Christmas
Aeroplane Sales & Exhibition Co. 1918: Cantilever Aero Co, Copiague, NY

Aircraft:
Aerial Express 1928 - A Burnelli-like design for an intercontinental airliner of huge
dimensions. Something like 100 passengers, and cargo, were to be housed in
the thick wing. Eight powerful engines in two groups were to drive two huge
propellers. Not built. (NASM has a drawing of it.)

Now the tricky thing is to find the link between the General Development Co. in Connecticut (whose name appears on the plans) and the Christmas company from DC...

Stargazer2006 said:
Now the tricky thing is to find the link between the General Development Co. in Connecticut (whose name appears on the plans) and the Christmas company from DC...

From the Flight article previously cited:

[quote author=http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1929/1929-1%20-%201821.html]
The new American project owes its inception to Dr. William Whitney Christmas, vice-president of the General Development Company of Connecticut, and Reid, Kinp and Company, bankers and brokers of Hartford, Conn,, are financial sponsors of the enterprise.
[/quote]

Quite a lot of facts and figures about the plane too. There's also a tease right at the end of the article:

We are informed that 62 engineers are now hard at work getting out the production drawings for the new giant monoplanes, and it is hoped that the first machine will be finished and ready for test flights in the autumn of 1930.

To think that more of those drawings could still be out there ...

I was doing some online research, and was really suprised to find a contemporary thread about William Whitney Christmas, the General Development Co., and his flying wing- monoplane.
I believe I have the General Development Company's retained typescript of their illustrated patent application for this aircraft.
It's in the company's buckram binding, stamped in gilt on front cover: "General Development Company. Inventions of William Whitney Christmas. Vol. I." [no evidence of a volume II being issued]. It is labeled "Confidential," and is signed and dated by William Whitney Christmas, May 13, 1930.
He is listed as the "inventor" on all 59 of the "photostat" blueprints, but I've read somewhere, that someone else actually did the drawings.
I'm not sure if this response adds much to the thread, but I was curious about the nature of the continued interest, and couldn't resist responding.
I bought it on eBay a few years ago, because I thought it was interesting, and it's been on the shelf in my office ever since.
Sounds like there is likely a more appropriate collector out there that might appreciate this more than I do, but I've never been sure where to go with it.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Bibliophile1

Welcome bibliophile1, thanks for posting!

If you are interested in selling then there are collectors on this forum who may well be interested. You should post in the Bookshelf & Marketplace forum.

However, if you just want more people to be able to see the material, then IMHO you could do a lot worse than scanning some of the more interesting diagrams and posting them as attachments here.

BTW do you have any patent application details? (ref no etc?) Material may already be on-line in various patent archives?

Thanks for your response, and suggestion about the Bookshelf & Marketplace.
I will post a link to it in that section for anyone interested in it.
I did end up listing it for sale on eBay, and I included a number of scans of the drawings, text, photograph, etc.
The link for it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360340932955&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

It is a seven day auction, and just started a couple hours ago.
It will be interesting to see how much attention it gets.

With kind regards,
Bibliophile1

FLYING WING Patent & Blueprints W. W. Christmas & General Development Co.

For a number of years I've had on my shelf this signed patent application and blueprint drawings for William Whitney Christmas & his General Development Co. It is the company's retained carbon typescript, illustrated patent application for his FLYING WING monoplane (or inhabited wing) aircraft.
It is over 100 pages long, has 59 full-page blueprint designs, bound into the company's gilt-stamped binding.
It is signed by W. W. Christmas, in 1930, beneath the confidentiality statement.

Someone at this site suggested that if I was interested in parting with it, I should post something in this section about it.

I just listed it for a seven-day auction, at eBay, at the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360340932955&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

It just started a couple hours ago (Tuesday, February 1st).
There are a number of scans of the text and blueprint designs.
If anyone has any questions/comments, please don't hesitate to contact me.
It will be interesting to see how much attention it gets.
Thanks for your consideration.
With kind regards,
Bibliophile1

Attachments

• x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
  • x1.jpg
    x1.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 290
  • x3.JPG
    x3.JPG
    613.2 KB · Views: 358
  • x6.jpg
    x6.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 422
This guy Christmas designed several unusual and rather dangerous aircraft, including the Christmas Bullet. He also got the federal government to put monies up for these. No surprise.

Re: FLYING WING Patent & Blueprints W. W. Christmas & General Development Co.

The subject is interesting, but I would not invest for it, sorry.

Tophe said:
The subject is interesting, but I would not invest for it, sorry.

What? Tophe, twin-boom lover extraordinaire... not investing in one of the most AMAZING and crazy twin-boom aircraft projects ever? One that no-one is even sure could even have flown (like his own whiffs)??

I don't understand!!! ::) ::) :D ;D

Aircraft (and twin-boom ones most of all) are just a hobby for me, while the money I have is for helping my family in law in the Philippines. But feel free to pay if you want.

Tophe said:
Aircraft (and twin-boom ones most of all) are just a hobby for me, while the money I have is for helping my family in law in the Philippines. But feel free to pay if you want.

Come on, Tophe! I was only teasing you! I thought you knew my humor a little better than this... :'(

All right. And I understand one of us here may be interested at this price, if millionnaire or something.

..did a bit search...

most of the patent drawings of the Christmas and General Development monoplane
can be found via Google Patens.
Search for W.W.Christmas 1,806,586 May 26 1931

Good luck Gent's

Yes:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=7tFtAAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=ininventor:W+W+ininventor:Christmas&hl=en&ei=wdGZTt34B83qOdXdsYkK&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA
but also:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=z3luAAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=patent:D82314&hl=en&ei=PdKZTo-uJsbVsgaBhMX9Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6wEwAA

Translated from Les Ailes N°151, 6 February 1930:

A BLUFF INDEED...

When we published the giant airplane project of American designer Christmas, we stated our skepticism as to the feasibility of the project which was to be developed by a company named "General Development of Connecticut".

According to one of our correspondents in the United States, the "New York Times" has revealed that 1) The General Development of Connecticut is a hypothetical company; 2) the necessary funds to create it haven't been collected; 3) the factory exists only in the imagination of the project's creators. The American paper concludes that, in the end, the project was all a deplorable publicity "stunt" for Mr. Christmas and "his" engineer, and that the project will never see the light of day.

The project was odd... but our skepticism was justified!

Hi,

here is one of early Dr. Christmas aircraft,it was low-mid wing twin boom transport aircraft,