Gemini Applications

mjmackowski

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I am a big Gemini fan and am writing a historical paper for an AIAA conference on the many Gemini concepts and proposed applications. This info is scattered in many dispersed documents all over the internet, so I am trying to consolidate them in one place (https://lostgeminimissions.wordpress.com/). I am also trying to thread them together (with each other) and their relationship to other NASA and USAF programs. I also build scale models of this (and similar) stuff ().
One of the first such programs was the USAF's Manned Orbital Development Station (MODS). Was there ever a report issued on this program, or a contemporary article or similar? Maybe an illustration or two of what they had in mind. I'm guessing the answer is "no" but I thought I'd ask here.
Thanks.

I am a big Gemini fan

And I'm a Big Gemini fan (lame pun, run for cover)

Try forum member Archipeppe a.k.a Giuseppe de Chiara. He made drawings of the entire Gemini family back then.

There is also Astronautix Gemini (many) entries. http://www.astronautix.com/g/gemini.html

@mjmackowski

If you are the mythical Michael j Mackowski, feel free to use my Gemini artworks for your website with the only request to respect the copyright and to not modify them.
If you need some modifications please contact me.

Ciao
Giuseppe

@mjmackowski

If you are the mythical Michael j Mackowski, feel free to use my Gemini artworks for your website with the only request to respect the copyright and to not modify them.
If you need some modifications please contact me.

Ciao
Giuseppe
I have always admired your drawings Guiseppe. I've looked at the Astronautix site and there is great stuff there (I dug the lunar rescue Gemini and winged Gemini docs out of the trash in St. Louis way back when) but I am looking for source documents. Thanks all.

Thanks, I will look at the discsussions. But I do have all of those original reports, thanks.

A small but interesting excerpts from NASA 1970 hearings. 47 pages cut, cleanup up, turned Pdf / OCR.

NASA Gemini was 8000 pounds

MOL Gemini dropped to 6000 pounds

CERV Gemini, not much than 3000 pounds - barely heavier than a Mercury, yet for three men ! Barebone of course, probably to insanity.

Attachments

• 1970_NASA_Authorization_compressed.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 34
NASA Gemini was 8000 pounds

MOL Gemini dropped to 6000 pounds

CERV Gemini, not much than 3000 pounds - barely heavier than a Mercury, yet for three men ! Barebone of course, probably to insanity.
Gemini A was first US manned spacecraft for 2 person fo 14 days
Gemini B only used during launch and landing, most part of Mission in hibernation while crew would be in MOL
CERV is emergency landing craft for 3 person to get them fast down (around 20 hours ?)

So Gemini B and CERV not needed all system like Gemini A, like Fuel Cells that role is take from Stations.
CREV is special since it fail safe system to return to Earth here, is just Mercury capsule build from Gemini B.