FST Series of Tanks

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any images/artist's impressions or other details on the FST (Future Soviet Tank) series from the '80s/'90s?

Regards,

Greg

FST-2 impression from unknown source. The configuration resembles what is rumoured about the Object 477 'Molot' MBT.

Attachments

• 477_FST-2.jpg
    477_FST-2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,323
Black Eagle (aka Object '640') you mean?
http://btvt.narod.ru/3/640.htm
http://russianarmor.info/Tanks/MBT/b_eagle.html

Attachments

• BE_10.gif
    BE_10.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 640.jpg
    640.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,063
flateric said:

Probably yes, although the images you post don't fit with the descriptions I've read. These talked about a completely tele-operated turret, and possibly a 152mm gun.

Then it could be KB Uralvagonzavod 'Object 195' (T-95) from Nizhny Tagil http://btvt.narod.ru/3/t-95.html
or Soviet (now Ukrainian) Kharkov's KhKBM's Object 477 Buntar (Rebel)/Bokser (Boxer) / Molot (Hammer) http://btvt.narod.ru/3/molot.htm

Attachments

• 195-1997-1.gif
    195-1997-1.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 195pat-2.gif
    195pat-2.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 454
  • 195pat-3.jpg
    195pat-3.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 417
  • Molot.jpg
    Molot.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 562
FST-1 tanks: T-72B and T-80U. There was also designation T-74 for vehicle finally became T-80U.
FST-2 - Molot, never materialized.

Attachments

• t-80velT-74_fst-1tank.jpg
    t-80velT-74_fst-1tank.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 452
Firefly said:
flateric said:

Probably yes, although the images you post don't fit with the descriptions I've read. These talked about a completely tele-operated turret, and possibly a 152mm gun.

Did you read what I wrote in my message?

FST-2 impression from unknown source. The configuration resembles what is rumoured about the Object 477 'Molot' MBT.

flateric said:
Then it could be KB Uralvagonzavod 'Object 195' (T-95) from Nizhny Tagil http://btvt.narod.ru/3/t-95.html
or Soviet (now Ukrainian) Kharkov's KhKBM's Object 477 Buntar (Rebel)/Bokser (Boxer) / Molot (Hammer) http://btvt.narod.ru/3/molot.htm

I don't claim to be a tank expert, but I think the images you have labelled as '195' actually depict the OAO "Spetzmash" MBT project (Object 295?)
I don't think there are any even semi-reliable images of the 195 (T-95), unlike the other two projects (477 and 295).

Przezdzieblo said:
There was also designation T-74 for vehicle finally became T-80U.

I seem to remember that the designation T-74 was erronerously applied for a while to a later version of the T-72, before the T-80 appeared.

Meteorit said:
Firefly said:
flateric said:

Did you read what I wrote in my message?

I read yes, although given the fact that I've known this project only from a couple of lines in the French DSI magazine, there was no way for me to make the link.
Now it does, no prob.

Another speculation has it that FST was fixed semi-casement.

Attachments

• RUS- FST-2.jpg
    RUS- FST-2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 503
rickshaw said:
Przezdzieblo said:
There was also designation T-74 for vehicle finally became T-80U.

I seem to remember that the designation T-74 was erronerously applied for a while to a later version of the T-72, before the T-80 appeared.

Yep, hear about that. T-74 might be mixed with Obj. 184 - T-72A. But also read about mentioned above mistake.

In attachment - how US imagined future Soviet tank around 1984.

Attachments

• fst_guess.jpg
    fst_guess.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 625
Przezdzieblo said:
FST-1 tanks: T-72B and T-80U. There was also designation T-74 for vehicle finally became T-80U.
FST-2 - Molot, never materialized.

Never materialized, maybe never shown to the public?

Przezdzieblo said:
Maybe, Andrei, maybe :)

Not maybe, it has good results and is a working tank, some of them were built, now stored in Russia and Ukraine.

Andrei_bt said:
Przezdzieblo said:
Maybe, Andrei, maybe :)

Not maybe, it has good results and is a working tank, some of them were built, now stored in Russia and Ukraine.

If that's true, then why has it never been put into service or used to try and make export sales in the years since? Spares/equipment shortages?

Grey Havoc said:
If that's true, then why has it never been put into service or used to try and make export sales in the years since? Spares/equipment shortages?

The same reason the legion of experimental tank designs built in the US in the 1970s and 80s are not in service or available for export. Because there is a big difference between a pre-production or prototype build than a production build. And if the tank - or 'object' - is not funded for production then enough of them can’t be built to be in service or available for export.

True enough, but I would have thought they would have, in later years when the political situation had settled down somewhat, at least tried to use any completed examples to drum up business for the Kharkov Bureau and the rest of the Ukrainian Defense industry.

EDIT:
Of course, if only the initial prototype/s were stored in the Ukraine, that might explain things.

Russia may unveil new ’super-tank’ in summer 2010
Army News — By RIA Novosti on March 26, 2010 at 6:25 am

Russia's new main battle tank (MBT), the T-95, could be exhibited for the first time at an arms show in the Urals Region this summer, the developer and future manufacturer of the tank has said.
The development of the new tank dubbed "Item 195" began at the Uralvagonzavod design bureau in the early 1990s. Russia will become the first country in the world to have the 5th-generartion MBT if the military commissions the vehicle.

"The work on the project has been conducted for many years. If the government gives us a 'green light' we will exhibit the tank at the [Russian Expo Arms 2010] arms show in Nizhny Tagil this summer," general director of the Uralvagonzavod plant Oleg Siyenko told RIA Novosti in an exclusive interview.

"I cannot disclose the characteristics of the tank, but I can assure you that we have met all the requirements put forward by the military," he said.

According to unofficial sources, the T-95 will feature better firepower, maneuverability, electronics and armor protection than Russia's latest T-90 MBT or comparable foreign models. It will weigh about 55 tons and its speed will increase from 30-50 kph to 50-65 kph (19-31 mph to 31-40 mph). The new tank may be equipped with a 152-mm smoothbore gun capable of firing guided missiles with a range of 6,000-7,000 meters. In contrast to existing designs, the gun will be located in a remotely-controlled turret to improve 3-men crew survivability.

Meanwhile, the T-90 MBT, developed in the 1990s on the basis of the T-72B tank, will be the backbone of the armored units until 2025, according to the Russian military.

Russia currently produces up to 100 T-90 MBTs annually and plans to have at least 1,500 vehicles in service with the Ground Forces.

Since that article was published, I have heard all sorts of rumors about the T-95 (and several other systems) being canceled. Have these cancellations be confirmed?

I have heared the same this project is sadly cancelled,also Russia's next bomber the PAK-DA.
This Tank has the potency to put Russia back on the map as one of the world leading tank developers like the old days with their T-34 and JS2 tanks

Colonial-Marine said:
Since that article was published, I have heard all sorts of rumors about the T-95 (and several other systems) being canceled. Have these cancellations be confirmed?

According to French mag DSI the following programs have been cancelled: T95, BMPT, 2S25 Sprut and Koalitsija howitzer.

Notional front engined T-95 from 1996. Ammunition carried in rear of hull.

Attachments

• JS- T95MBT_5M1.jpg
    JS- T95MBT_5M1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 649
  • Config H MBT.jpg
    Config H MBT.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 555
Firefly 2 said:
According to French mag DSI the following programs have been cancelled: T95, BMPT, 2S25 Sprut and Koalitsija howitzer.

Odd, a dozen or so of the 2S25 Sprut-SD were seen in their latest victory day parade. I find it difficult to believe the Russians would cancel the T-95 after some 15 years in development, but then again on too many occasions the US has done the same thing.

Canceling that Koalitcia howitzer made sense however. Seemed to be a ridiculous project.

Colonial-Marine said:
Firefly 2 said:

Odd, a dozen or so of the 2S25 Sprut-SD were seen in their latest victory day parade. I find it difficult to believe the Russians would cancel the T-95 after some 15 years in development, but then again on too many occasions the US has done the same thing.

Canceling that Koalitcia howitzer made sense however. Seemed to be a ridiculous project.

Well, as far as I understand it, the bigger picture would be that the Kremlin sees a very inefficient use of R&D money in these projects, a lack of planning and vision, and wants the military to come up with a strategic vision first and develop according hardware later. It's a bit of a wake up call.

Colonial-Marine said:
Firefly 2 said:
Odd, a dozen or so of the 2S25 Sprut-SD were seen in their latest victory day parade.
Not quite so. They were in 2009. This year were no Sprutes.
Colonial-Marine said:
I find it difficult to believe the Russians would cancel the T-95 after some 15 years in development, but then again on too many occasions the US has done the same thing.
Dude, it's official. We would cancel everything we want) Believers, meantime, try to read between the lines of Popovkin's revelations. 'Cancelling Object 195' may mean 'starting a new project instead of'

Well the worst part about it is that most of us will probably have to wait another decade before we even see photos of the prototype.

JAZZ said:
Notional front engined T-95 from 1996. Ammunition carried in rear of hull.

Could the Israeli Merkava have born some influence on this Russian break with frontal engine mounting/layout??

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Could the Israeli Merkava have born some influence on this Russian break with frontal engine mounting/layout??

The Soviets had developed a forward engine medium weight SPG in 1945 called the SU-101 (D10S 100mm gun) and SU-102 (D-24S-44 122mm). So they had some experience in the configuration. The rear positioned fighting compartment in these vehicles was a response to the problems of long barrel overhang and excessive weight of conventional SPGs. The Soviets called the configuration “Ferdinand Type”.

Also the first tanks of the Merkava configuration were the Vickers medium and light tanks extensively built between the wars. The US Army T92 and French AMX-13 light tanks had the forward engine configuration very similar to the Merkava in the 1950s. The IDF had several AM-13 battalions in service in the 50s and 60s. The Merkava was not unique or ground breaking in its design. It was however at the time it was unveiled very different to most other Main Battle Tanks that most people knew about.

Attachments

• uralmesh1.png
    uralmesh1.png
    378 KB · Views: 907
  • uralmesh2.png
    uralmesh2.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 826
Drawing of FST from Newsweek.

Attachments

• 80sfuturesoviettank.jpg
    80sfuturesoviettank.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 631
There was an article in Galaksija magazine about this project, in 1992; unfortunately I do not have that issue, the picture was the same. I believe they intended to use 135mm caliber gun.

from DTIC : THE THREAT OF THE PREMIUM TANK THE PRODUCT AND PROCESS OF THE SOVIET EXPERIENCE

Attachments

• pt5.jpg
    pt5.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 528
  • pt5 2.pdf
    445.9 KB · Views: 79
Here is another version of that Premium Tank 5 article by Maj. Warford from US Armor magazine. Has a bit more information (well an introduction) and artwork. The tank is here now just 20 years late!

Attachments

• Premium Tank 5.pdf
    186.9 KB · Views: 149