And;

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958%20-%200186.html
 

Attachments

  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 875
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 868
hesham said:


Great find Hesham!!


I suppose that the 3 views you provided isn't an early design (not in 1958 of course when NAA frozen the configuration well earlier) but it should be the X-15B draft. The X-15B was initially intended as a two seat space going version of the X-15, later it become a single seat launched by an G-26 Navaho booster.


The X-15B should perform a suborbital or at least a once around flight, re-enter into the atmosphere and splashdown into the ocean, when the pilot should left the spacecrat with his ejection seat before the impact with water (in the same fashion of Russian Vostok).


Before your 3 views all I had found about it is only this tiny image (a cutaway of X-15/G26 stacking), but you may see that the similarity between the two designs is striking.
 

Attachments

  • G26-X15B.jpg
    G26-X15B.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 111
Enclosed my personal interpretation of X-15B/Navaho concept. It was realized in 2007 for the AstronautiCon 2 (held in Montecatini near Florence) and also printed out inside the Космические крылья ("Space Wings") book, by Vadim Lukashevitch and Igor Afanasiev.

Anyway I could exploit latest drawings provided by hesham in order to update my job.
 

Attachments

  • X-15B_01.jpg
    X-15B_01.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 116
  • X-15B_02.jpg
    X-15B_02.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 126
  • X-15B flight profile.jpg
    X-15B flight profile.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 136
Based upon flightglobal drawings (kindly provided by hesham) I enclose the new and updated version of mine ones dedicated to X-15B topic.


Enjoy them...
 

Attachments

  • X-15B_01 new.jpg
    X-15B_01 new.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 95
  • X-15B_02 new.jpg
    X-15B_02 new.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 94
  • X-15B flight profile new.jpg
    X-15B flight profile new.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 114
The two pictures from Flight 14 February1958 first appear in Aviation Week 3 February 1958. In the 14 April 1958 edition is a picture of the X-15 as we correctly know it and is labelled thus, "North American Aviation artist's drawing of X-15 rocket research plane is first official drawing, confirming accuracy of Aviation Week drawing and article". Accurate in the sense that they almost got it right except for the tailplanes and cockpit/nose area.

Where did the picture of the X-15 on the Navajo come from any idea of date?
Regards,
Barry
 
From Great Expectations: North American's Exotic Advanced X-15 Concepts Part 1 by Dave Stern
American Aviation Historical Society Journal, Spring 2011.
Sub-orbital and fully Orbital X-15 programme.
Step I Standard generic X-15 31,250 pounds plus 1,500 pound payload.
Engine: XLR-99-RMI-1 fuel Flourine – Hydrogen
Pinnacle mounting atop single G-26 booster.
Downrange capability 1,115 nautical miles.
Step II Modified X-15A 34,850 pounds gross weight - advanced structural metals.
Pinnacle mounting atop middle booster of tri-parallel G-38 booster.
Two variants – Research package or photo reconnaissance.
Downrange capability 1,741 nautical miles.
Step III super advanced X-15B one man (two man also offered) low Earth orbital military missions.
Single seat 40,200 pounds gross weight. Modified Rocketdyne S-4 liquid fluorine-hydrogen.
Pinnacle mounting atop middle booster of tri-parallel G-38 booster.
Take off from Cape Canaveral pre-programmed to land (crash – pilot to parachute down) at Eglin Proving Ground Reservation.

In the article is a cutaway side view of presumably the Step III but this has Fluorine and Hydrazine in its tanks?! Also has in the middle 2 down and slightly outward pointing solid rocket motors presumably for de-orbit?
Regards,
Barry
 
Barrington Bond said:
In the article is a cutaway side view of presumably the Step III but this has Fluorine and Hydrazine in its tanks?! Also has in the middle 2 down and slightly outward pointing solid rocket motors presumably for de-orbit?
Regards,
Barry


Thanks Barry, for such additional informations.
Anyway it would be great to have the scan of the cutaway view you mentioned.


Ciao
Giuseppe
 
Barrington Bond said:
Take off from Cape Canaveral pre-programmed to land (crash – pilot to parachute down) at Eglin Proving Ground Reservation.

The section drawing does not correspond with the description of the mission described for the X-15B. What would be the purpose of the nosewheel and skid landing gear if the aircraft was to be abandoned after deorbit, and how would the film from the camera payload be recovered?
 
Hi,


also from NACA,the recommended studied for a design of 1954.


Proceeding of the X-15 first flight 30th anniversary celebration report.
 

Attachments

  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 552
Hi,


here is some drawings from old NASA file about North American X-15 of 1955.
 

Attachments

  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 437
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 452
Foundations of Air Power, USAF publication published Sept 1958.

Note based on material from Air Force Magazine - must have been drawn for the book before its accurate shape was released!

Regards,
Barry
 

Attachments

  • X15-001.jpg
    X15-001.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 92
Barrington Bond said:
Foundations of Air Power, USAF publication published Sept 1958.

Note based on material from Air Force Magazine - must have been drawn for the book before its accurate shape was released!

Regards,
Barry


Nice drawing Barrington,


by the way,I have that NASA report,if someone want it.
 
From the book; Космические крылья


here is an early artist drawings to North American X-15 aircraft,the left with a cockpit
step forward and the right with X-tail.
 

Attachments

  • X-15.png
    X-15.png
    249.9 KB · Views: 125
hesham said:
From the book; Космические крылья


here is an early artist drawings to North American X-15 aircraft,the left with a cockpit
step forward and the right with X-tail.


Such drawings are mine ones.... ;)
 
archipeppe said:
Enclosed my personal interpretation of X-15B/Navaho concept. It was realized in 2007 for the AstronautiCon 2 (held in Montecatini near Florence) and also printed out inside the Космические крылья ("Space Wings") book, by Vadim Lukashevitch and Igor Afanasiev.

Anyway I could exploit latest drawings provided by hesham in order to update my job.

My dear Archipeppe,

here is an artist drawing to X-15 with Navaho rocket-booster,intended to go to the Moon,
also some drawings from Astronautix site.

Flying Review 6/1958


http://www.astronautix.com/craft/x15b.htm
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 1.png
    1.png
    868.1 KB · Views: 108
hesham said:
archipeppe said:
Enclosed my personal interpretation of X-15B/Navaho concept. It was realized in 2007 for the AstronautiCon 2 (held in Montecatini near Florence) and also printed out inside the Космические крылья ("Space Wings") book, by Vadim Lukashevitch and Igor Afanasiev.

Anyway I could exploit latest drawings provided by hesham in order to update my job.

My dear Archipeppe,

here is an artist drawing to X-15 with Navaho rocket-booster,intended to go to the Moon,
also some drawings from Astronautix site.

Flying Review 6/1958


http://www.astronautix.com/craft/x15b.htm


Great find, many thanks Hesham!!!!


BTW the Flying Review drawing is really interesting since it maches (more or less) with my drawings.
Only the booster seems to be rahter a fantasy product, I mean that probably should represent some sort of Saturn 1 (ahead of its times) or "Super Jupiter" or some four engined Titan II.
 
Great find Hesham!!


I suppose that the 3 views you provided isn't an early design (not in 1958 of course when NAA frozen the configuration well earlier) but it should be the X-15B draft. The X-15B was initially intended as a two seat space going version of the X-15, later it become a single seat launched by an G-26 Navaho booster.


The X-15B should perform a suborbital or at least a once around flight, re-enter into the atmosphere and splashdown into the ocean, when the pilot should left the spacecrat with his ejection seat before the impact with water (in the same fashion of Russian Vostok).


Before your 3 views all I had found about it is only this tiny image (a cutaway of X-15/G26 stacking), but you may see that the similarity between the two designs is striking.

Also from Flying 1958/6.
 

Attachments

  • 20.png
    20.png
    898 KB · Views: 5
  • 21.png
    21.png
    687.7 KB · Views: 5

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom