French Competition RN-3 of 1928

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

in 1928,French Air Force announced for a competition called RN-3,or three-seat night
recce aircraft,the contenders were; Mureaux ANF-120,De Monge M-120,Loire-20 and
Loire-30,Wibault Wib.220 and Weymann Wel-70.

The Loire-20 was a sesquiplane,powered by two engines and longer than Loire-30,but
it remained a project only with Weymann Wel-70.

The Loire-20 was re-allocated to Colonial aircraft project,but also didn't pass a drawing
board.

AFM magazine 04

Attachments

• Loire-20.png
    Loire-20.png
    277 KB · Views: 415
  • Loire-30.jpg
    Loire-30.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 104
  • De Monge 120.jpg
    De Monge 120.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 320
  • Wib.220.jpg
    Wib.220.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 317
  • ANF-120.jpg
    ANF-120.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 335
  • data.png
    data.png
    545.6 KB · Views: 390
The Loire 30 looks like a disaster waiting to happen! ;)

Winston said:
The Loire 30 looks like a disaster waiting to happen! ;)

By the way Winston,

the Loire-30 was a strong airplane,and its age is long comparatively with any French
aircraft.

Winston probably was reffering to the engines, that seem to be set higher, than necessary
on mountings that really look fragile. ;)

What about this nice derivative ?
This is the Loire 301 nicknamed "la Lessiveuse" (= washboiler), with a turret for an artillery gun.

Attachments

• loire_301_airwar.ru.jpg
    loire_301_airwar.ru.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 691
Very interesting, that the French were experimenting with heavy calibre guns, too,
haven't heard of such experiments still yet. I've found another photo of the Loire 30
here http://www.39-45.org/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=33113 . As I nderstand, the turret
of the 301 was still a model then. Do you know, for which gun (which caliber) it was intended ?

Attachments

• loire30.jpg
    loire30.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 68
c460 said:
This is the Loire 301 nicknamed "la Lessiveuse" (= washboiler), with a turret for an artillery gun.
[quote author=Douglas Adams - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe]Uglier things have been spotted in the skies, but not by reliable witnesses.[/quote]

I don't remember the source, maybe the old italian magazine "L'Ala d'Italia", but here I post some 3-views of the aircraft above.
Sorry for the poor quality, if someone can improve, it will be great!

Attachments

• ANF-120 (2).jpg
    ANF-120 (2).jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Wibault 220.jpg
    Wibault 220.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 72
Very beauty drawings my dear Lucamax.

c460 said:

A "lessiveuse" is a washing machine (for clothes) in English.

So quite an appropriate nickname, I think !
The real thing probably would have looked a bit different from
this simple drum. Maybe something like a Davis gun, or another
recoilless gun was envisaged ?

c460 said:

cluttonfred said:

Not quite, cluttonfred. As a matter of fact, c460 was right about his translation. It's a boiler, or washboiler, an apparatus which our grandmothers used for washing clothes before the war.

No-one would ever use the term "lessiveuse" for modern day washing machines! (we now talk of "machine à laver" or "lave-linge").

Jemiba said:
Do you know, for which gun (which caliber) it was intended ?
Unfortunately the information seems unavailable. There was an article about the Loire 30 & 301 in Le Fana no.338, where it is said that the gun model is unknown. The whole contraption was a complete aerodynamic failure anyway, as testified by test pilot Jacques Lecarme.

Other tests with a 75 mm caliber field gun were made on the Aéronautique Bordelaise AB.22. The gun was mounted on the fuselage side, like an AC-130 Gunship. But the "shockwaves" damaged the corrugated skin under the wing and the tests were stopped.
Adrien

I posted more Loire 301 on this other, more appropriate, thread:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8654.msg222910.html#msg222910

Skyblazer said:
c460 said:

cluttonfred said:

Not quite, cluttonfred. As a matter of fact, c460 was right about his translation. It's a boiler, or washboiler, an apparatus which our grandmothers used for washing clothes before the war.

No-one would ever use the term "lessiveuse" for modern day washing machines! (we now talk of "machine à laver" or "lave-linge").

My grandmother used to have a 'copper' in her kitchen, which she used on wash day. I suspect, looking at the images, that this is the English equivalent of a French 'lessiveuse'.

Jemiba said:
Winston probably was reffering to the engines, that seem to be set higher, than necessary
on mountings that really look fragile. ;)

I was indeed, it seemed as though such a high mounting point for the engines would not take much physical strain, but looks are deceiving!

Such mountings were not uncommon on flying boats to get the props out of the spray. I am not sure of the design logic here, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

On the "lessiveuse" translation, we may be running it to a British/American thing here as I have never heard that expression. My grandparents called even the old-fashioned tub-with-rollers a "washing machine," and they were antique dealers in New England.

From Docavia No.3,the Loire 30F drawing.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 111