Four Apollo spacecraft on one Saturn V

blackstar

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here was a proposal to launch four Apollo spacecraft on a single Saturn V rocket.

Attachments

• Apollo1.jpg
    Apollo1.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Apollo2.jpg
    Apollo2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 161
The presence of escape rockets suggests the CMs would be manned. Twelve astronauts in one launch -- any indication of what missions would be performed by this arrangement?

on first paper is text: Space Orbital Taxi

I think this 12 men launch to Space Station or Interplanetary Space ship in low orbit

from were are those picture ?

circle-5 said:
The presence of escape rockets suggests the CMs would be manned.

The abort towers, however, are shrouded within a structure that itself would have to be disposed of before the capsules could be jettisoned. This has "not man rated" written all over it.

Orionblamblam said:
circle-5 said:
The presence of escape rockets suggests the CMs would be manned.

The abort towers, however, are shrouded within a structure that itself would have to be disposed of before the capsules could be jettisoned. This has "not man rated" written all over it.

But then, why have launch escape towers if nobody is on board during launch? Don't you think the "LES Fairing" and "Blow-Out Panels" could do just that -- be jettisoned or shredded as part of the escape procedure? The extra delay would be minimal. It would really help to see the rest of the drawing -- I'll bet there is a fairing abort motor up on top.

circle-5 said:
But then, why have launch escape towers if nobody is on board during launch? Don't you think the "LES Fairing" and "Blow-Out Panels" could do just that -- be jettisoned or shredded as part of the escape procedure? The extra delay would be minimal.

In such matters, milliseconds count. As does the ability to fly away without having to fly through a cloud of debris or other escaping capsules.

There's just something goofy about this concept.

Orionblamblam said:
circle-5 said:
But then, why have launch escape towers if nobody is on board during launch? Don't you think the "LES Fairing" and "Blow-Out Panels" could do just that -- be jettisoned or shredded as part of the escape procedure? The extra delay would be minimal.

In such matters, milliseconds count. As does the ability to fly away without having to fly through a cloud of debris or other escaping capsules.

There's just something goofy about this concept.

for me too
the drawings look more like NASA engineer invents it in his spare time
as a serous proposal

but the top of the shroud is missing on picture
maybe there a solid rocket on the top, that pull the thing off Apollos

by way were are this picture coming from ? , any source on that ?

Michel Van said:
by way were are this picture coming from ? , any source on that ?

It's real, and it was produced by a major space contractor in 1969 that was obviously trying to sell more stuff to the govt. I'll eventually write something about it.

Orionblamblam said:
In such matters, milliseconds count.

Sometimes, emergency escape systems are less than optimal. I remember the STS Orbiter "escape pole", designed post-Challenger, where astronauts had to slide out one by one along a telescoping pole, deployed by the crew from an open hatch, all while the Orbiter politely refrained from blowing up. By comparison, the LES fairing here could probably be out of the way in under 500ms. But I agree this whole CSM cluster concept does not inspire confidence.

Hmm, interesting. According to information I have the diameter of the Apollo CSM was 3.9 m.
The diameter of the third stage Saturn V or Saturn C second stage was 6.6 m.
This means that if you place two CSMs next to each other you get a snug fit within a diameter of 7.8 m.
Kind of does not fit.
I suggest somebody was fantasising and doodling....

They used the same diameter as the S-II stage, 396 inches, or 10 meters.

I look closer on second picture

the 4 CSM are not on a Saturn-II stage but om a Space Station
why should have it RCS thruster and Dockingports ?

all this is a one launch 12-men space station in 180 x 500 km orbit

say The name Harold Kaysen something ?