• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Forum Rules 8.0 - ALL users please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Secret Forum Rules 8.0 [Last Revision: August 2019]

Posting Guidelines
  • The primary purpose of the forum is to discuss unbuilt military and aerospace technology in various forms.
    Posts on UFOs, Nazi wunderwaffen/flying saucers, conspiracy theories, alien crashes, moon landing denials and the like are specifically discouraged and would be better posted elsewhere.
  • Political, religious and nationalistic posts are discouraged.
  • Posts on alternative history or speculation should be posted in the Alternative History and Future Speculation board here.
  • The primary purpose of the "Secret Projects" sections of this forum is to document real, but unbuilt, projects. Prototypes that didn't enter series production may also be appropriate at the discretion of the moderators. Aircraft built in series production should generally be discussed in the "Aerospace" section, warships, tanks and other military vehicles in the "Military" section, etc.
  • Please do not post your own "fantasy" projects in the Secret Projects forum. Designs by aeronautical engineering students, professional speculation by informed artists and the like can be posted in the Fictional, Theoretical and Speculative Projects forum here.
  • Scale modellers wanting to post about potential ideas for models should probably sign up to our sister board What if Modelers Forum or Beyond The Sprues.
  • Do not post patent images in the Secret Projects sections unless you have good reason to believe they may represent a real project or illustrate technology used in a real project. Other potentially interesting (but not identified to a particular project) patent images should go in "Patent Pending" section.
  • Before you post, please try searching the forum to see if there is already a topic existing for your theme. Unlike most forums this is not just a discussion site, its also a database of unbuilt projects. Posting in a many years old topic with new information is perfectly fine. However, don't put posts in topics they don't fit in. Try to create sensible topic titles for new posts that accurately describe the contents and will help others find the content easily.
  • Please don't repost existing pictures in other topics - link to the original topic and pictures, don't duplicate and waste resources by uploading the same picture again.
  • No Sponging. Endless requests for information without contribution is not encouraged. If you need some information on a project, why not start by sharing what you found already, and see if others join in with additional material. This also means if moderators or other members give you links to relevant materials, please READ them before coming back to the topic with more questions.
  • No Bumping. This means don't post a reply to a topic, be it your own topic or another topic, just to get it back on the first page, or complain at the lack of answers to your question. You have no right to a reply, and can't expect instant results.
  • No Trolling. This means no posts aimed at stirring controversy with other users, inciting racial or religious arguments or pointless speculations.
  • Don't Feed Trolls. If you see a troll post (as above) report it to the moderators. Don't start posting replies, it only encourages them.
  • Google is your friend. Try searching the internet to see if the information you seek is already out there. Then share what you found.
  • Give your sources. This is vital to allow other forum members to judge your contribution appropriately and to appropriately credit the original source.
  • Judge your source's reliability. Wikipedia is rarely a useful source on aircraft projects. Hesitate before posting Wikipedia information - at least, find the source cited on Wikipedia.
  • Moderators can and will move split or delete posts and topics to help organise the forum better or if they are posted in an inappropriate section.
  • Persistently ignoring the posting guidelines may result in your posts being moderated, temporary, or permanent banning from the forum.
  • When quoting posts, try to limit your quote to just the relevant portions of the post you are replying to.
Posting Images & Copyright
  • ALWAYS post images via the forum's attachment option, not as links. This way we won't lose the image if the original source website disappears.
  • Where possible, seek permission from the copyright holder before posting any images. Images posted under a defence of "fair use" (e.g. US) or "fair dealing" (e.g. UK/Europe) should be low resolution (e.g. no larger than 1200 pixels in width and height), for discussion and comment, and not cause financial harm to the copyright holder. The rights of the copyright holder to object to posted material always take priority over "fair use".
  • If you are the copyright holder, or have permission from the copyright holder to post an image, you can use as high a resolution as you like, subject to the file size limit of uploaded images.
  • NEVER post images or whole pages from currently available books or magazines without the permission of the copyright holder. This harms revenues and may jeopardise the production of future books and magazines. Aviation publishing isn't a big money maker and we must support the authors and publishers. Posting a summary in your own words is acceptable.
  • Copyright law can be complex and vary from country to country. We fully respect the rights of photographers, artists, authors, publishers and manufacturers. If you feel that a post infringes your copyright, report it using the "report" button found in each post and explain what the problem is and it will be removed.
Posting Video Links
  • The forum software knows about many video hosting sites such as Youtube. You don't need to use any embedding code, just type in the link and the forum software will automagically embed the video in the page for you.
General Conduct
  • Remember The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would have them treat you.
  • ALWAYS be polite and civil in forum posts.
  • Personal attacks on others are ALWAYS inappropriate. Disagree all you like with their ideas or opinions, but don't resort to name-calling or flaming. Argue facts, not personalities.
  • Remind yourself that these are people with whom you are dealing. They have feelings. Try to treat others with dignity. The world is a big place, with different cultures and conventions.
  • If other users are not as civil as you would like them to be, be more civil, not less in response. That way you don't contribute to the degredation of the tone of the forum by your own actions but are actively doing something about it. Some of our older members in particular are actively turned off from the forum by rudeness, lack of respect and pointless slanging matches, and some valuable former engineers have been lost from the forum's membership.
  • Keep in mind that raw text may be ambiguous and often seems ruder than the same words coming from a person standing in front of you. Irony is not always obvious when written. Remember that text comes without facial expressions, vocal inflection, or body language. Be careful choosing the words you write: what you mean might not be what others understand. Likewise, be careful how you interpret what you read: what you understand might not be what others mean, especially if English is not their first language.
  • If you feel that a post is in the wrong section, is pointlessly stupid, or otherwise obectionable, report it using the "report" button found in each post and explain what the problem is. Your compaint will be reviewed by a moderator as soon as practicable. Don't jump in and post replies in the topic.
  • Some forum members are (former/current) engineers with years of industry experience, or respected journalists in their fields. Be respectful of their knowledge and experience where appropriate.
  • Give back what you can, when you can. If you have nothing to add, but you really appreciated something somebody posted, like their post, or send them a private message of thanks. Keep an eye out for information others on the board might find interesting, even if you don't, while researching your own interests.
  • Membership of this forum is a privilege not a right. The site administrator and moderators reserve the right to delete accounts, edit posts as appropriate, and ban users if abuse of this privilege take place.
  • Only one login per user is allowed on the forum. Users creating duplicate logins may face temporary or permanent ban. If you have a genuine reason to create an additional logon, for example a problem with your account, message me @overscan via the forum or email. (Paul Martell-Mead) and I will sort it out.
  • Please invite any likeminded people you know to join us here.
  • If you like, introduce yourself in this topic.
Comments to Forum Admin - @overscan / Paul Martell-Mead

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I know that we are all entitled to a bit of privacy but, how do we know who has been in the industry be it engineering or design etc? I know that nothing in life is exactly how it seems, in my day on Chieftain for example, we had a belief in our vehicles (Apart from that bleeping engine) that they would do whatever job we needed them to do. Fact is that the side armour was less useful than that on a late war Panther etc. What a revelation that was. Basically, I have armoured vehicle hands on experience but how can I prove that? People suggest that a reduced crew or various other changes would be beneficial but having operated these vehicles (Without having to take charge of 'wingman vehicles') I can state the increased work load will reduce efficiency of a unit below the acceptable. Just a few examples but you get my drift. Is there some way to indicate the status of those with relevant experience? It might help.
I know, nothing perfect is possible and frankly, that the system works as well as it does is testimony to those who run the system and manage our excesses. Thank you, Sir.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some forum members are (former/current) engineers with years of industry experience, or respected journalists in their fields. Be respectful of their knowledge and experience where appropriate.
I guess I wanted to
  1. emphasise some people here are really knowledgeable in their field, so be respectful in general and don't assume the person you are arguing with is a clueless amateur.
  2. make it clear that some authors/engineers/etc have 'outed' themselves and you should be respectful of their knowledge and experience in their field in particular.
We could have badges or titles for users based on real-world experience, but obviously I can't easily verify that you really were in the Army for example.

Last edited:

sgeorges4

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
what the problem with reposting picture exactly? Also should I by respectful of someone knowledge if I know they have spread false information?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
what the problem with reposting picture exactly?
Re-attaching pictures already posted into a new topic increases the amount of disk space used on the server. Disk space is not infinite. If you want to crosspost a picture already uploaded to the server, to another topic, post as a link to the existing picture.

Also should I by respectful of someone knowledge if I know they have spread false information?
You should always try to be respectful of others even if you disagree with them. I don't always manage it myself, but its a good ideal to work towards. Accusing someone of knowingly spreading false information is a serious allegation requiring substantive proof - people can be factually incorrect or hold differing opinions without attributing malicious intent.

If you believe someone is wrong, then say so respectfully. Note I said respect "where appropriate". Nobody is infallible or an expert on everything. Maybe don't pick an engineering argument on the B-2 with an engineer who worked on the B-2, but don't uncritically believe the same engineer on things outside their field of expertise.

elmayerle

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Read and agreed to. *GRIN* And,. yes, I was an engineer involved with developing the B-2, among other aircraft over a 40+ year career.

TomS

Reaction score
Understood.

My own involvement in projects relevant to this site is mostly academic, save for a few years early in my career around the edges of US Navy ship procurement policy.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm strictly an amateur, with 1 year of an Aeronautical Engineering degree, a lifetime interest in aviation, and a published book.

Avimimus

Reaction score
Read. I'd like some clarification about theoretical and speculative projects - particularly, I like discussing various concepts, trends and fads in aircraft design, as well as limiting factors behind design compromises... is this appropriate there, in the alternative history forum, or only in the bar?

For instance, if I wanted to discuss the reasons why retractable horizontal stabilisers have not been pursued (and look for examples of proposals for such a design) - where would be appropriate? Is it permissible to post one's own aerodynamic or computer models for comparison with an existing design (or analysis of it)?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read. I'd like some clarification about theoretical and speculative projects - particularly, I like discussing various concepts, trends and fads in aircraft design, as well as limiting factors behind design compromises... is this appropriate there, in the alternative history forum, or only in the bar?

For instance, if I wanted to discuss the reasons why retractable horizontal stabilisers have not been pursued (and look for examples of proposals for such a design) - where would be appropriate? Is it permissible to post one's own aerodynamic or computer models for comparison with an existing design (or analysis of it)?
To be honest, the purpose of that section was to take those type of projects (generic or artistic ones) out of the main forum sections and stop polluting them.

I would suggest Aerospace would be appropriate for general discussion of aerospace technology like the ones you mention.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Some of our older members in particular are actively turned off from the forum by rudeness, lack of respect and pointless slanging matches, and some valuable former engineers have been lost from the forum's membership
That's sad. Who?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of our older members in particular are actively turned off from the forum by rudeness, lack of respect and pointless slanging matches, and some valuable former engineers have been lost from the forum's membership
That's sad. Who?
Two older British engineers both visited the forum some years ago but were put off by some vulgar language and rudeness. That’s when the rule was added.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Rules updated!

Please take a minute to read, especially if you haven't read the rules before.
Read. As for badges, "we don't need no stinking badges" :) Might some in industry prefer some anonymity or at least not glaringly note they are such?

I want to take this opportunity again to thank you for all you've done and continue to do to make SPF what it is and give us a platform to share and learn from.

Thanks! Mark

uk 75

Reaction score
Duly read and noted.
Sorry for some past mishaps.
Have used this site for many years now. Hope have not freeloaded too much. It beats most of the books in my library.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Duly read and noted.
Sorry for some past mishaps.
Have used this site for many years now. Hope have not freeloaded too much. It beats most of the books in my library.
Ralph, your only crime is an unreasonable attachment to the AVS and similar technical 'wunderwaffen' of the 1960s and 70s. It's a common affliction :)

lastdingo

Blogger http://defense-and-freedom.blogspot.de/
Reaction score
Website
defense-and-freedom.blogspot.de
I would like to see the changes highlighted (colour).
Users learn most rules by observing others, not by reading them. Thus only the changes are really of interest.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see the changes highlighted (colour).
Users learn most rules by observing others, not by reading them. Thus only the changes are really of interest.
Could do, except I didn't, and its a bit late now. Maybe for Version 9. I've put a last modified date at the top.

However a lot of people have never read them. New starters get an automatic message which directs them to this topic, plus I tried a different method (notification).

Last edited:

kitnut617

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
However a lot of people have never read them. New starters get an automatic message which directs them to this topic, plus I tried a different method (notification).
I saw the auto message and visited the thread after I logged in. The auto message remains after that, the only difference it says my username instead of guest. By leaving a post here will the auto message now not appear again, I did use the 'X' button to close it down but it still comes back.

Avimimus

Reaction score

To be honest, the purpose of that section was to take those type of projects (generic or artistic ones) out of the main forum sections and stop polluting them.

I would suggest Aerospace would be appropriate for general discussion of aerospace technology like the ones you mention.
Thank you!

Avimimus

Reaction score
That's sad. Who?
I might not be as august or valuable a member - but I can say that I was rather turned off at some points by people advocating summary executions (or mass murder). It always seemed a bit unsettling and off-topic to me. So it might not be a bad thing to have someone tighter rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.