• Focke-Wulf Langstreckenbomber 1936.jpg
    Focke-Wulf Langstreckenbomber 1936.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 2,044
A more details of that strange project.

Attachments

• FW_BOMBER_PROJ_36_02.png
    FW_BOMBER_PROJ_36_02.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,333
So from the five seats and pitful fixed rearward firing defensive armament - I take it that this thing was posing as a passenger plane (to cover up the rearmament)?

Is it possible that this was related to Focke-Wulfs submission to the schnellbomber RLM request of 1935?

Apparently FW did submit a design but withdrew early on. This same request gave birth to the Bf162, Ju88 and henschel 127. And the request also called for a defensive armament of one rear firing gun.

Or perhaps it was a development of that series. Long-range doesn't exactly fit with schnellbomber.

And could someone post upload the files the OP links to somewhere else? I get a "service not available in your country" error when I try to download it.

Avimimus said:
So from the five seats and pitful fixed rearward firing defensive armament - I take it that this thing was posing as a passenger plane (to cover up the rearmament)?

I wouldn't take it as proved, that it was a five seat aircraft. There are three seats in the pressure cabin, so I think,
that was the standard cew complement. For cruising at high altitudes, all crew members needed a pressurized place.
Over the target, pilot and bomb aimer probably took their places in the cabin in the nose, as the aircraft was de-
pressurized, to prevent the danger of too fast decompression in the event of battle damage.
And the gun in the tailcone may well have been flexible, as could be shown by the hardly recognisable dotted lines.

Attachments

• rear_gun.gif
    rear_gun.gif
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,039
The dotted line looks like the aft lower curve of the vertical stabilizer to me.

I meant the marked line. Could either mean, that the rera gun could be depressed or, maybe in
connection with the rectangular object, which doesn't look like an ammo box to me, it could be
a turnable tailcone.

Attachments

• rear_gun.gif
    rear_gun.gif
    89.6 KB · Views: 922
Hi,

here is anther drawing from its report.

Attachments

• FW.JPG
    FW.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 811
That is a good eye Jemiba,

As soon as a I looked at it again it occurred to me that it is probably exactly as you say. Although it seems that the pilot would have stayed in the pressure cockpit - so the whole system would have to be depressurised (in which case they might as well all remain together). I suppose it was difficult to create a good observation window that was easily pressurised in the 1930s?

I wonder if they would have carried respirators to make working in the outer compartment more comfortable or if the aircraft would have entered a shallow diver over the target (much as became standard by the end of the war). Would they have thought of such tactics to avoid interception?

Don't know about the employed tactics. For aiming such a rearward weapon, I would assume a
movable version of the "Rückblickfernrohr" (rear view telescope), that was used for fixed rearward
weapons, too (photo from Luftfahrt International N° 22). Should have been not too complicated, due
to the limited angle, I think.

Attachments

• RblFR.jpg
    RblFR.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 98
No need to ask for the source here, as it becomes obvious from
the drawings :

;)

Attachments

• FW_P-12222.jpg
    FW_P-12222.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 76

Attachments

• 2-2.png
    2-2.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 2-1.png
    2-1.png
    516.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 1-2.png
    1-2.png
    457.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 1-1.png
    1-1.png
    448.9 KB · Views: 144
Yes, good to have an alternative link to the one, posted at the beginning of this thread,
as it was sometimes regarded as a bit, well, shady ...

That's an interesting pop-out remote cannon turret! Pretty ambitious for the time period. I wonder if German bombers would've done better if they'd had defensive cannons prior to 1942...?

Avimimus said:
That's an interesting pop-out remote cannon turret!

Maybe I missed something, but in part two, page 8, I only found "... Der Einbau wurde unter Verzicht
auf Fernsteuerung .. .vorgenommen" (.. an installation without the use of remote control).
If development of remote controlled turrets would have started already back in 1936, there may have
been better results during the later war yeras indeed.

Hi,

here is the both variant drawings in one shot.

Attachments

• 1 & 2.png
    1 & 2.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 507
Focke-Wulf FW P.12222-04

New Unicraft 1:72 kit.
What can you know about this project?

Attachments

• fw12222-dr.jpg
    fw12222-dr.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 480
Re: Focke-Wulf FW P.12222-04

What ?;

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12698.msg244611.html#msg244611

http://www.unicraft.biz/germ/fw12222/fw12222.htm

Here the link to the Unicraft Model of the Focke Wulf Langestreckenbomber!

baja said:
http://www.unicraft.biz/germ/fw12222/fw12222.htm

Here the link to the Unicraft Model of the Focke Wulf Langestreckenbomber!

Wow,nice find Baja.

Attachments

• fw12222-box.jpg
    fw12222-box.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 243
Cleaned up versions of two of the drawings.

Attachments

• A7FA0F3C-BF36-4161-A439-365B2D9C586C.png
    A7FA0F3C-BF36-4161-A439-365B2D9C586C.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 192
  • A2A097A9-2343-492F-B92E-47D1FEA0DFA1.png
    A2A097A9-2343-492F-B92E-47D1FEA0DFA1.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 208