Fleet Air Defense Fighter - Douglas F6D-1 Missileer and its rivals

And here is the Missileer proposal model from North American Aviation (Columbus, Ohio Division). I always thought that NAA had never designed an ugly airplane, but I stand corrected. Eight hinge fairings all around radome show how Westinghouse nose radar could be completely exposed for calibration and servicing.

Attachments

• NAA Missileer 01.jpg
    NAA Missileer 01.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 463
  • NAA Missileer 02.jpg
    NAA Missileer 02.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 590
circle-5 said:
I always thought that NAA had never designed an ugly airplane, but I stand corrected.

Ha ha! Actually they rarely did, but there have been exceptions. What about the disgraceful O-47? The inelegant Sabreliner? Actually I think this one is not too bad given the specifications and layout requirements...

Stargazer2006 said:
I would like to ask a question regarding the F6D Missileer project.

Aerospace Review quotes the designation D-790 for the program, while other sources give D-766...

Were there two successive proposals for the same specification? Was D-766 a forerunner of D-790? Any help on this question would be most welcome!

Tony Buttler answers:

The Douglas D-790 was a converted A3D for testing the Eagle missile - I think three airframes would have been involved. The D-766 was Douglas's winning design in the competition proper.

circle-5 said:
And here is the Missileer proposal model from North American Aviation (Columbus, Ohio Division). I always thought that NAA had never designed an ugly airplane, but I stand corrected. Eight hinge fairings all around radome show how nose radar could be completely exposed for servicing.

Hell if you had not mentioned the Missileer fact - I would have taken it for a S-3 Viking competition proposal - what with its size!

Great find though with the desktop models!!! ;D
I would love them on one of my shelves!!!

Regards
Pioneer

overscan said:
Tony Buttler answers:

The Douglas D-790 was a converted A3D for testing the Eagle missile - I think three airframes would have been involved. The D-766 was Douglas's winning design in the competition proper.

Interesting and pretty clear to me. I think Orionblamblam gave the Missileer as the "D-790" in his latest Aerospace Review, so it was a mistake...

elmayerle said:
To the best of my knowledge, Grumman looked at three basic design approaches for this one.

1) Supersonic - Basically a variation on their XF12F proposal
2) High-Subsonic - Using the basic Intruder airframe as a starting point.
3) Low-Subsonic - Using a derivative of the S2F or W2F airframe.

I don't currently have any drawings of these.

Here are the Bendix-Grumman studies. I don't know what Grumman proposed.

Attachments

• Bendix Grumman 3.jpg
    Bendix Grumman 3.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 1,220
  • Bendix Grumman 2.jpg
    Bendix Grumman 2.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 1,201
  • Bendix Grumman 1.jpg
    Bendix Grumman 1.jpg
    858.3 KB · Views: 1,215
May I return to Lockheed CL-520 ? From the info I have (VERY good) it wasn't a Fleet Air Defense Missileer but the air portion of a vaster Naval Air Defense system using land based long distance aircraft. The mission were: support for amphibious assault (air cover), convoy defense, ASW task force defence and fleet defense. Other components of the system were supersonic carrier-based fighters and pure AEW aircrafts like the W2F.
The CL-438 was a TDN covering modifications of BOTH Neptune and Orion to carry Eagle missiles, six for the modified Orion. Don't know if a Missileer "strictu senso", but I doubt.

Tailspin Turtle said:
Here are the Bendix-Grumman studies. I don't know what Grumman proposed.

The internal weapons installation on the modified S2F airframe is really interesting, but also a tough design problem...any idea how the missiles were lowered into the airstream? swing arms lowering the whole lot? Looks like the top row of missiles has to travel quite a bit to get to the proper firing position, clearances included.

edit: I now see a U shaped bracket and an L-shaped bracket respectively fore and aft of the weapons bay. Those might be part of the lowering mechanism. Interesting kinematics.

Thanks, OBB!

We can therfore reasonably conclude from these that the F6D Missileer project was indeed D-766, and that D-790 was an A3D-2 modification in support of the Missileer program (perhaps also dubbed Missileer) to evaluate the XAAM-10 missile.

Stargazer2006 said:
Thanks, OBB!

We can therfore reasonably conclude from these that the F6D Missileer project was indeed D-766, and that D-790 was an A3D-2 modification in support of the Missileer program (perhaps also dubbed Missileer) to evaluate the XAAM-10 missile.

While the description is incomplete, note that it points out that the D-790 was intended to operate from a number of aircraft carriers. Also note the date... 1960. This was well into the program, by which time the Navy was in considerable doubt about the usefulness of the project. So my hypothesis is that the D-790 was designed as a lower-cost, lower-risk alternative, perhaps prodded by the Navy.

I agree with Orion. There's no need for a testbed to not only carry four missiles under the wings but another four in the bomb bay...

Attachments

• A3D Missileer.jpg
    A3D Missileer.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 799
This Douglas F-6D seems a Grumman Sf-2 retouched : i suppose was classic design of aicraft of '50 years !

This photo was not backstamped, but handwritten on the back is "Figure 3. A3D-2P modified for Eagle missile 12/60". By the photo number style, I believe this to be a Grumman photo. Did Grumman do the mod?

Attachments

• A3D-2P Eagle Testbed.jpg
    A3D-2P Eagle Testbed.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 595
While the description is incomplete, note that it points out that the D-790 was intended to operate from a number of aircraft carriers. Also note the date... 1960. This was well into the program, by which time the Navy was in considerable doubt about the usefulness of the project. So my hypothesis is that the D-790 was designed as a lower-cost, lower-risk alternative, perhaps prodded by the Navy.

Just a thought, and I'm no expert, but would an SAC be issued for just a testbed?

cheers,
Robin.

robunos said:

Just a thought, and I'm no expert, but would an SAC be issued for just a testbed?

cheers,
Robin.

Very possibly, yes.

aim9xray said:
This photo was not backstamped, but handwritten on the back is "Figure 3. A3D-2P modified for Eagle missile 12/60". By the photo number style, I believe this to be a Grumman photo. Did Grumman do the mod?

I'm not sure of all of the dates here and the interweb isn't much help, but it appears that Bendix got a contract for the AAM-N-10 Eagle missile program with Grumman as a subcontractor in December 1958. Douglas won the competition for the F6D Missileer and was awarded a contract to develop the aircraft in July 1960. However, the program appears to have been put on hold in December 1960 and formally terminated in April 1961.

The Navy did bail an A3D-2P, BuNo 144825, to Grumman (in 1959?) to use as a test bed for the Eagle which is consistent with the markings and date on the photo, both front and back. It was fitted with a big nose to house the five-foot Westinghouse radar antenna, bigger even than the D-790 nose. Following the termination of the Eagle program, the airplane was assigned to the Pacific Missile Test Center at Point Mugu, California as noted above. In 1962, it was redesignated to be a NRA-3B.

Update: The D-790 SAC is dated 19 February 1960. The Missileer bids were submitted 29 February 1960. Six companies submitted nine designs. My guess is that the D-790 may very well have been one of the nine. If not, it certainly was created as an alternate proposal to the D-766.

Note that a published SAC wasn't necessarily issued or approved by the Navy, much less an indication of an airplane's contract status. It was a convenient way for the contractor to communicate a summary of the aircraft's configuration, performance, and capability to the Navy, since the format, level of detail, and assumptions were well established.

Very possibly, yes.
Note that a published SAC wasn't necessarily issued or approved by the Navy, much less an indication of an airplane's contract status. It was a convenient way for the contractor to communicate a summary of the aircraft's configuration, performance, and capability to the Navy, since the format, level of detail, and assumptions were well established.

Ahh....... I was working under the mis-apprehension that a SAC was an official Navy/AF document, issued when a project was officially accepted for development........ :-[
Thanks OBB and TT for the enlightenment.

cheers,
Robin.

P.S., TT, do you have all of that D-790 3-view, i.e. showing all of the nose??

robunos said:
P.S., TT, do you have all of that D-790 3-view, i.e. showing all of the nose??

Unfortunately, whoever made the copy that I have wasn't able to get it all on one sheet. The three-view might help, though.

Attachments

• D790-0002.jpg
    D790-0002.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 1,040
  • D790-0001.jpg
    D790-0001.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 903
Well...... what can one say......... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

many thanks again,

cheers,
Robin.

Wow this find of the D-790 drawings is impressive!
Thanks for a great effort

Saying this the spotting factor of the D-790, with that of the standard A-3D and or A-5's would have eaten up some deck and hanger space!

I think of all the designs submitted to the Missileer requirements - I would have to say the FAD variant of the Grumman Intruder would have been my favoured solution to the FAD.
This is predominantly due to commonalty with the Intruder/Prowler series, which would have eased spare parts, maintenance and flight training some what!

But that just my thoughts!

Regards
Pioneer

SPANGENBERG: []Then in '59 we started the Eagle/Missileer competition. We did the Eagle and then later the Missileer which was a forerunner of the TFX and of the F-14. The whole development series really started back in '55.

RAUSA: Was the Missileer an actual aircraft?

SPANGENBERG: The whole thing started with the threat projections being such that it was becoming very difficult to protect the fleet against Mach 2 raids coming in. You had to have something better than we had with F4/Sparrow capability aircraft. All the studies said you just couldn't get there in time to shoot down enough and the surface-to-air missiles just couldn't handle the degree of the threat either. It turned out that studies in the mid-fifties indicated that the state of the art in radar was such that we could do a long-range radar search type of thing and get it into an airplane. Took about a five foot dish to do it. This then led to probably the biggest study effort in the Op analysis field that at least the Navy had done up to that point on how best to do the fleet defense mission. That study was known as RAFAD and out of that came the determination that the only real way to do the job was with a CAP airplane and long-range missiles. It was far superior to trying to do the high speed intercept and so on. With the threat then being projected as Mach 2 kind of performance and launching missiles against you it was imperative that they get stopped or at least well thinned out by one hundred miles out or thereabouts.

At the time we started on that the Air Force had gone the other way and started the XF-12 airplane which eventually became the SR-71, with Mach 3 kind of performance but using single shot missiles. That airplane as you know was a very large airplane, 100,000 pound category and very long, impossible to operate from a carrier unless we got much, much larger carriers. That option of going that way really wasn't open to us and also it was a very expensive way to do it. All those Op analysis studies said that we couldn't get there from here. So Navy sold to the Congress a program to do Eagle Missileer. Eagle was about a 100 mile missile with mid-course guidance and terminal homing. The missile itself weighed on the order of as I recall 1300 pounds a piece, something on that order. Then the fire control system was being done by Westinghouse. I just mentioned there was a five-foot dish. The Eagle missile and fire control system part of the program started a couple years before the airplane did and the TF-30 engine got started about that time in order to provide the engine and the missile system in time to match the airplane. Our habit in those days was to get the long lead items under way before you did the air frame because really the air frame has a shorter development time required. At the time of the Eagle competition, Grumman had won a whole batch of competitions. They had the E-2 going on, the Mohawk going on. They had won the A-6 competition. The Chief of the Bureau then was Adm. Bob Dixon and he told Grumman unofficially that he didn't think that they should win the next competition coming up. They were going to get overloaded. Unfortunately, Grumman was really on a roll there. They had done a reorganization, put good guys in charge of all the forward looking programs and had a good crew. Grumman ended up by foxing the Navy by not bidding as a prime but as a sub-contractor to Bendix. Bendix won the Eagle competition and Grumman was heavily involved in the effort.

The Eagle program went along fairly well, well enough that the airplane part of it got started on schedule in 1959. That was a pretty tough competition. It was a controversial airplane in the sense it was such a low performance airplane. It was to be a subsonic airplane, two turbo fan engines, two place side by side and as I said with this five foot radar dish in the nose. The air frame part of the game was really not too difficult a technical job. It would have been obviously a lot easier than it would have been doing a supersonic type of airplane. That competition then ended with Douglas winning it with a very straightforward design with six missiles mounted on the wings, three on each side, externally. Straightforward airplane.

One of the interesting things out of the competition was a Vought entry which had predicted extremely low missile drag as mounted on their airplane based on wind tunnel tests. What it had amounted to in effect was that they ended up with positive interference drag. Usually you can take the drag of a pylon, the drag of a missile, put the two together and you add another hunk of drag to it for interference. In the case of Vought they were showing that the combination of a pylon and the missiles was less than the total of the two individual drags. Our aero guys didn't believe that and it became a big issue. If they had been right they would have been a more serious contender for getting the award than they were. With our performance estimate they were definitely in second place.

Subsequent to the award to Douglas, Vought turned all their drag data over to Douglas. This was not the first time that this type of thing had happened but it's worth mentioning that in these competitions that the losing contractors if they have something worthwhile in it will normally give it to their competitor in order to get a better plane for the fleet. It's worth mentioning because every once in a while there's a federal program or an OSD directive that we should do "technology transfer" or try to pick the best items out of each airplane and so on. It happens automatically if it's worth doing.
Unfortunately with the Missileer, McNamara's arrival on the scene came along. The outgoing administration did not want to let a full development contract until the incoming administration approved the program. So we kept Douglas on a low level engineering effort probably under $1 million to do some preliminary engineering but then left the decision whether to go ahead in May to the incoming administration.

McNamara's crew, as you know, then said the Navy has a new airplane started, the Air Force has a new fighter started called TFX in the Air Force terminology. They're going to fight the same enemy, why don't they do it with one airplane? And the general impression that the working level guys had was the conversation must have been almost that casual, if they're going to fight the same enemy they can do it with one airplane. It later developed into a God awful mess. The whole TFX story has had books written about it. As a sidelight I guess I read three of the books and in no case did the authors of those books talk to me. Never. And most of them are wrong. All of them are wrong. Parts of the books are correct but the inferences drawn as to why we did things and why we didn't do things are all wrong. The first one was supposed to be McNamara proving to the services that he could wear them down. The military was fighting civilian rule and that wasn't the case at all. The Air Force and Navy were really only doing a technical job that McNamara's crew was screwing up and it was just awful.

RAUSA: And this hadn't happen before where you had the DOD staff intermingling into the development of an aircraft?

SPANGENBERG: No. Up to that time in my understanding, in my experience what happened, the OSD staff might question you on something but they'd accept the reasoning or the technical input from the services. McNamara's crew just didn't believe us and they had a bunch of honest to God incompetents. But the outcome of that mess was the McNamara group cancelled the airplane, the Eagle continued into early 1960 and it finally got cancelled I think in May of 1960. So thus ended the Eagle Missileer concept but it set the stage then for the things that came later, the TFX.

Relevant section from George Spangenberg's oral history. I can't see any feature in the Vought drawings that would explain the lower drag.

Well, my first thought is that the missiles, and engines for that matter, of the Vought design are far enough from the wing to avoid interference drag. Other than that, I don't see any immediate causes for drag improvement either.

Grumman Design 128E proposal model for the Missileer competition was based on the A2F Intruder airframe. This variant is equipped with TF30 turbofan engines.

Attachments

• Grumman Missileer 01.jpg
    Grumman Missileer 01.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 858
circle-5 said:
Grumman Design 128E proposal model for the Missileer competition was based on the A2F Intruder airframe. This variant is equipped with TF30 turbofan engines.

I'd love to get more views of that model, or a three-view of that configuration, to get a better appreciation of the TF30 installation since I suspect their entry in the A-7 competition had a similar configuration.

elmayerle said:
circle-5 said:

I'd love to get more views of that model, or a three-view of that configuration, to get a better appreciation of the TF30 installation since I suspect their entry in the A-7 competition had a similar configuration.
Actually, they had to choose between a TF30-powered F11F and a single-seat version of the A-6 for the A-7 competition. They elected to ignore the TF30 requirement and propose the J52-powered A-6. See

"I'd love to get more views of that model, or a three-view of that configuration......"

I second this!!
Any luck?
Any chance?????

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
Sorry gents - but I do not know if anyone else picked up on this, but I have just noticed in one of the 3-view drawings of the Vought V-434 Missileer, which Mr Nankivil posted some time back, shows a frontal-view of the V-434 showing the designs ability to carry an additional four Eagles missiles, making the carrying of a total of ten possible.
No small feat for such a large and heavy missile, and a airplane its size!
Although I guess it would not have done good for drag, range and loitering time!

I have chopped out the given drawing and cleaned it up a little!!!

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Vought V-434 Missileer Proposal 3 View -drawing.jpg
    Vought V-434 Missileer Proposal 3 View -drawing.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 919
  • Front-view drawing of Vought V-434 'Missileer' showing the designs ability.JPG
    Front-view drawing of Vought V-434 'Missileer' showing the designs ability.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 635
Here is the summary of Missileer proposals as reported by George Spangenberg in a memo dated 4 March 1960. (Note that Grumman submitted two A-6 alternatives.) The Type Specification was TS-151 dated 30 November 1959. Nine contractors received the RFP letter dated 11 December 1959.

Attachments

• Missileer Proposals.jpg
    Missileer Proposals.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 426
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember who I got these McDonnell 153A illustrations from but it was probably Mark Nankivil...

Attachments

• McAir 153A artists concept.jpg
    McAir 153A artists concept.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 924
  • McAir 153A 3-View.jpg
    McAir 153A 3-View.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 934
wow! i understand this is a firmly subsonic airplane, but still...that's a REALLY round nose! :eek:

Thank you Tailspin Turtle. So now we know this North American proposal was NAA Model CL-4166. I would have guessed this to be a Lockheed (CALAC) designation! Any other useful Missileer information in the Spangenberg papers?

Attachments

• NAA Missileer 03.jpg
    NAA Missileer 03.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 759
circle-5 said:
Thank you Tailspin Turtle. So now we know this North American proposal was NAA Model CL-4166. I would have guessed this to be a Lockheed (CALAC) designation! Any other useful Missileer information in the Spangenberg papers?
If there is, I don't have it. However, this wasn't what I was looking for at the time so there may be more. The coverage is spotty, however.

AeroFranz said:
wow! i understand this is a firmly subsonic airplane, but still...that's a REALLY round nose! :eek:

It looks designed for radar ideals, not aerodynamic ones, which makes sense given the mission.

Whatever the reason, it must be pretty important to justify what i think is a drag penalty in an aircraft designed for long endurance, hence maximum lift-to-drag.

The shape shown makes the aircraft better able to meet carrier maximum length requirements and is surely lighter than a cantilevered, longer fairing.You also mentioned radar performance. I wonder if a spherical fairing has some advantages - not being an EE i wouldn't know.

circle-5 said:

This variant was designed by William Rathke and dates to June 1959. Another Missileer Intruder was Model 128F, while Model 128C is "A2F-1 attack aircraft in Missileer airframe".

Source:
Robert F Dorr, Grumman A-6 Intruder, Osprey 1987

Back
Top Bottom