GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Found on web:

davisgun.png

I believe it was more indicative of how the gun could be installed in aircraft, rather than representing a specific project. I do recall seeing similar drawings of remotely controlled machine gun barbettes proposed as aircraft defensive armament in a wartime publication. The artwork was more intended to illustrate the way they worked, again not representing any particular aircraft.

Reminds me of this earlier plan (from Flying Guns: World War 1):

The 12 Pr Davis gun never entered service although there was a British scheme in 1916 for a Dyott "Battleplane" to be fitted with one of these cannon, firing sideways while the aircraft circled the target. This was not built, but is remarkably reminiscent of the USAF's gunships of more than half a century later.

The 365mm calibre Rheinmetall G104 tested under a bomber fuselage was a recoilless gun, but not a Davis type.

The Davis guns counterbalanced the recoil of the shell by firing an equal weight of lead shot to the rear. By WW2, most recoilless designs had abandoned that principle and instead used a large quantity of propellant gas ejected to the rear.

The G104 used a different approach (unique AFAIK) in that the ammunition had a very heavy cartridge case which was ejected as a counterbalance. The experiment failed anyway - the propellant gas blast from both ends of the huge gun was so severe that it caused fatal damage to the airframe.

Whilst I appreciate that this is somewhat tangential, at http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4998.0 there's an interesting post, with period photographs to illustrate it, concerning the trial use of the Davis gun in a RNAS airship in November 1916.