[Fantasy] Republic TFX "F-111A Thunderstriker"

Oh! This is what I want to see for a long time. Take off and landding shape may be beautiful,too.

blackkite said:
Oh! This is what I want to see for a long time. Take off and landding shape may be beautiful,too.

Sure, I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, how about one for SAC in anti-flash white?

Attachments

• republic_bf-111a_01.jpg
    republic_bf-111a_01.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 638
Always thought the Republic entry looked way cooler than the GD or Boeing entries. :'(

Yeah, it was beautiful...

It seems as if it was one of those designs that wouldn't have been as fast as it looked (That thing looks like it could be hypersonic!) although I have a feeling it was quite a quick design. Looks like it would have delivered a nice smooth ride at low altitude over the deck.

KJ Lesnick

KJ_Lesnick said:
Yeah, it was beautiful...

It seems as if it was one of those designs that wouldn't have been as fast as it looked (That thing looks like it could be hypersonic!) although I have a feeling it was quite a quick design. Looks like it would have delivered a nice smooth ride at low altitude over the deck.

KJ Lesnick

Agree on the beauty of the design.

I also suspect, given the other topics that Republic was interested in (ie: hypersonics)
at the time, that there were certain cross project benefits of this design.

Larry

Whoopee! I get it. It's one method to have high lifting device for delta wing. It has large swept angle wing which allow enough thickness to install large fuel tank and such high lifting device. It's little similar to Saab J35.

A beauty, but my pick for the name would be "Thundergod", with a Jack Kirby's Mighty Thor cartoon on the noseside..

In 1961 it was still Republic Aviation. Had they won the TFX competition, the merger probably wouldn't have happened.

It looked like it was very well thought out. The plane wasn't just a swept wing design that kind of looked like a delta when swept back, it really *was* a delta that had wings on top. Under positive g-load, it looks like the delta would actually help support the wing to be honest.