Fairey Spearfish

Bailey

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I think I've read somewhere that when designing the Spearfish, Fairey also considered a version using both both piston and jet power, like the Ryan Fireball. Can anyone confirm this, and provide any more details or drawings?

Cheers Bailey.

Attachments

• Fairey Spearfish.jpg
    Fairey Spearfish.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 412
No drawing, sorry, but Tony Buttler mentioned in BSP 1935 - 50, that Fairey
proposed a variant with a Merlin 26 and a jet engine of 13,3 kN thrust as a
pre-project to the Spearfish.

No drawing, sorry, but Tony Buttler mentioned in BSP 1935 - 50, that Fairey
proposed a variant with a Merlin 26 and a jet engine of 13,3 kN thrust as a
pre-project to the Spearfish.

Thanks for that Jemiba, at least I know that I'm not going senile. I don't have Tony's book, does he give much other information on the Spearfish development in this volume ?

Cheers Bailey.

Interesting but unconfirmable reports that one version had twin coupled Merlins with contra prop configuration. I would like to see that if possible. N results to searches yet.

Did Rolls-Royce built a Merlin variant with contra-rotating propellers?
... or was it only the Griffin?

Interesting but unconfirmable reports that one version had twin coupled Merlins with contra prop configuration. I would like to see that if possible. N results to searches yet.
That would be the Fairey design to O.21/44, a Spearfish development:
- 2-seat with new forward fuselage with tandem Merlin 14.SM
- 1-seat with new forward fuselage with tandem Griffon 71
- Spearfish converted with a Pennine RX.2SM and a 2,000lbf turbojet in the rear fuselage

Four of the 2-seaters with Merlins were ordered but never built - it morphed into the Strike Fighter which laid the foundations for the Q that became the Gannet...

Thank you, Sir. Much appreciated and educated too.

I tried looking that up but nothing found so far, another rabbit hole I think. Great stuff entertainment will ensue.

Last edited:
Thank you, Sir. Much appreciated and educated too.

I tried looking that up but nothing found so far, another rabbit hole I think. Great stuff entertainment will ensue.
There are a couple of threads with the Strike Fighter: here and here, the first thread does contain an image of the O.21/44.

BSP:4 is your best bet for a more detailed entry, though the Strike Fighter is in BSP:3.

Did Rolls-Royce built a Merlin variant with contra-rotating propellers?
... or was it only the Griffin?
Yes, it was designated the Merlin 140. In Morgan/Shacklady book, there's photos of a Spitfire Mk.VIII and a Mk.IX with contra-props. The Merlin 140 were installed in the Short Sturgeon and used in service.

Hello. Does anyone have drawings of the Fairey Spearfish aircraft? Or an image in the likeness of a pre-attached one? I had a similar picture, but it got lost.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 317916303355effca754987bbef85ca4.jpg
    317916303355effca754987bbef85ca4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 92
a68da4fa30e3e32276d4b16191a9f4a1.jpg