Fairey FD.I

Re: Flightgloabl suggested a ramp-launched rocket interceptor based on Fairey FD.1

Hi,

was that idea use again ?.

Last edited:
Re: Flightgloabl suggested a ramp-launched rocket interceptor based on Fairey FD.1

AFAIK, this idea should lead to a shipborne VATOL interceptor. Have attached two pictures from
Air Enthusiast 93 (May/June 2001), I got via boxkite and Tony Buttler.
Remark: As Tony noted, it looks, as if the captain of the carrier in the (not too far) distance
should command a change of course immediately ! ;)

Attachments

• Fairey_FD-1_01.JPG
    Fairey_FD-1_01.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 648
  • Fairey_FD-1_02.jpg
    Fairey_FD-1_02.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 575

Great find my dear Jemiba.

Re: Fairey FD.1 based ramp-launched rocket interceptor

Fairey's proposal may have had it's roots in the short lived OR.202 (Green Water) from 1950, although that was for a pilotless interceptor/SAGW.

Re: Fairey FD.1 based ramp-launched rocket interceptor

Actually the picture from flightglobal in the first post shows a pilotless interceptor,
Principly meant my post as answer to heshams question, if the idea of the ramp
launched interceptor was used again. So there may well be a relation between
OR.202 and the unmaned proposal.

From all I've seen, the official name was just "Delta 1" (and as a matter of fact, judging from the last photo, only "Fairey Delta" was applied on the fuselage).
Was the designation FD.1 ever applied officially, perhaps retroactively? Or was it a later invention by authors?
Do we have official period documents by Fairey or the British Government ever mentioning a "Fairey FD.1"?

I think Justo Miranda's post showing the Boscome First Day Cover, clearly a semi-official document, answers your question. At least when it was initially disclosed and flown at Farnborough it was known as the Fairy FD-1.

Skyblazer said:
From all I've seen, the official name was just "Delta 1" (and as a matter of fact, judging from the last photo, only "Fairey Delta" was applied on the fuselage).
Was the designation FD.1 ever applied officially, perhaps retroactively? Or was it a later invention by authors?
Do we have official period documents by Fairey or the British Government ever mentioning a "Fairey FD.1"?

According to an article by Tony Buttler published in Air Enthusiast May/June 2001 "The first E.10/47 VX350 (no Ministry documents call it the Delta 1" ,
Barry Hygate in the book "British Experimental Jet Aircraft" as "Fairey Delta 1" and "Fairey F.D.1" , Bill Gunston in "Back to the Drawing Board" as "Fairey FD.1" , Aeroplane december 2005 as "Fairey Delta 1" , Roland de Narbonne in "Le Fanatique de l´Aviation" as "Fairey FD.1" :-\ :-\ :-\

BillRo said:
I think Justo Miranda's post showing the Boscome First Day Cover, clearly a semi-official document, answers your question. At least when it was initially disclosed and flown at Farnborough it was known as the Fairy FD-1.

But that's a 1996 FDC, hardly relevant a clue as to the original name!

To me the name "Fairey Delta" on the fuselage side leaves no doubt that this was its original company monicker. There was no reason to add a number at that stage. Then, when a second type came around, it became the "Fairey Delta 2", soon shortened to FD.2. It seems logical to me that only then the first Delta became "Delta 1", or FD.1 retroactively, to differentiate the two.

EDIT: I removed the latter part of this post since obviously I was mistaken.

newsdeskdan said:
I might be able to help on this.

There was a proposal to turn the second E.10/47 aircraft into a vertical take-off research vehicle in 1954, detailed in this official Fairey brochure:
Now see the second line on p7:
So Fairey called it the F.D.I. (I realise that the way this document is worded is slightly confusing. What it means is "modification of the F.D.I. which was built to specification E.10/47"). Although admittedly, throughout the rest of the brochure it is referred to consistently as the E.10/47, or the E.10/47 aircraft.

Great stuff, newsdeskdan! So quite obviously I was wrong about the designation on both counts! I've edited out my previous post so as not to leave any inaccurate information. Thanks a lot for this.

I think we are close but not quite closed out. At the time that Fairey's proposal for vertical take-off was written in 1954, the F.D.2 was already well underway;, it first flew in November that year. We need to go back to the point when the company responded to E.10/47 to find out how it was named. The files held by the National Archives are titled Fairey Delta E10/47 aircraft: design and development, and Fairey delta wing research aircraft: technical policy but we would need to look at the contents to be sure. I suspect that Skyblazer may well be right and that it was just called the Fairey Delta until the design to ER.103, F.D.2, came along and led to a retrospective renaming.

I agree with Schneiderman. It was the Fairey Delta (sans suffix) until the Fairey Delta 2 came along, when the earlier design became referred to as Fairey Delta 1 (F.D.1).

H.A. Taylor's Fairy Aircraft: Since 1915 titles its chapter the Delta One and refers to it in the text as the F.D.1. I seem to recall reading that it was originally referred to as the "Fairey Delta" until the "Delta 2" came along and it had to grow its "One", but I can't recall where I read that. Possibly in another thread here, grin.

Hello!

Is there any sources about Fairey VTO color scheme?
Black-and-white is sounds logical to me (like German A-4 rocket prototypes) _ am I right?

Justo Miranda said:
Speculative :-\

Thank you, dear Justo for nice image!
Even if it not correct it's very well demonstrated those age design.
Nice saturated colors - I like it!

Still looking for VTO coloring scheme :cool:

A better copy of the same cover:

Thanks a lot, dear Skyblazer!
Aircraft of the 1950th have been a gold mine for magazine' cover illustrations!