• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

ESA Ariane 6

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I presume this will eventually become Ariane 7.

Hobbes

Reaction score
Sort of. Callisto is a testbed. It's one of the steps on the road to Ariane 7, but not its final shape.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Sort of. Callisto is a testbed. It's one of the steps on the road to Ariane 7, but not its final shape.
I can see Ariane 6 having a comparatively short life.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
It's a lot of mass and inertia to fight to get that vertical impulse (vernier like system). I wonder if they plan to use a solid booster for that to ease the dynamic loads on the system.

fredymac

Reaction score
Video on European space projects including Ariane 6. No mention of reusable rockets which probably reflects the relative funding share given to them (as well as the dubious attitude heard in the narration).

FighterJock

Reaction score
I do hope that Ariane 7 is going to be a heavy booster to lift a manned capsule to the Moon then Mars, Arianespace really need a competitor to the SLS and the next generation Chinese Long March heavy rocket.

Deltafan

Reaction score
I do hope that Ariane 7 is going to be a heavy booster to lift a manned capsule to the Moon then Mars, Arianespace really need a competitor to the SLS and the next generation Chinese Long March heavy rocket.
I hope too...
But…
Since the cancellation of the Hermes Space Shuttle by EU, some years ago, Europe's space ambitions seem to me as unpredictable as it is uncertain...

Hobbes

Reaction score
Ariane 7 is already being worked on (under the name Ariane Next). This will be a reusable replacement for Ariane 6, in the same payload class. There are no plans to develop a larger rocket at the moment.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Ariane 7 is already being worked on (under the name Ariane Next). This will be a reusable replacement for Ariane 6, in the same payload class. There are no plans to develop a larger rocket at the moment.
Europe dragging its heals over large rocket development as usual.

Hobbes

Reaction score
No, Europe is developing rockets according to its needs.

Moose

Reaction score
Europe is developing rockets according to its requirements.

fredymac

Reaction score
Europe is developing rockets according to its requirements.

Not my concern but don't "needs" drive "requirements"? The issue comes down to who defines them and why. In terms of SLS, the "needs" were pork and the "requirements" were whatever fits the bill. It will be interesting to see how Europe decides these things.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I should note that Ariane 5 production has yet to conclude.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Originally it was supposed to be around 2023 if I'm not mistaken, though there is circumstantial evidence some more examples may be added to the last ordered batch (PC Batch) of ten launch vehicles, which was originally ordered back in early 2018 (the first of which is scheduled to be launched this year). This meant as of January 2018 there were 23 Ariane 5s still in production or on order.

Flyaway

Reaction score

European Commissioner Thierry Breton:

SpaceX has redefined the standards for launchers, so Ariane 6 is a necessary step, but not the ultimate aim: we must start thinking now about Ariane 7